Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Missed Dunkirk in 70mm IMAX... and I Regret Every Decision I Have Made Up Until Now
If only I still lived in California...
If only I weren't days late to the very last IMAX 70mm screening even remotely available in my area...
If only the re-release extended to any theater even within my state...

...Damn. You have one of those moments in the fresh wake of a missed opportunity when you realize that you're not going to get a chance again.
Feels bad.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-30, 03:26 PM)personguyman Wrote: If only I still lived in California...
If only I weren't days late to the very last IMAX 70mm screening even remotely available in my area...
If only the re-release extended to any theater even within my state...

...Damn. You have one of those moments in the fresh wake of a missed opportunity when you realize that you're not going to get a chance again.
Feels bad.

I only saw it two times in 2K digital (2.20:1 fixed). The first time was on a giant IMAX-sized screen with pillarboxing on all sides but curtain masking on the left and right. The second time it was pillarboxing on a small screen without any curtains. Both experiences were disappointing. When the chance came to experience it in 15/70 IMAX, the ticket prices were too much. I couldn't afford it.
Thanks given by:
Don't feel bad. I could care less about IMAX and I'm a insane film format junkie. But I hate IMAX. It was never designed for feature films and is a giant mess of problems when running whatever is sent out plus most locations are all over the place in terms of correctness. Then you have all the faux-imax locations and Liemaxes. Most locations had their 65mm equipment removed and only certain ones had it replaced. The proper location near me is one of those and every show I've seen there has been a giant disappointment with awful booming sound and results in a sore neck and a desire for my overpriced ticket money back.

Does anyone feel the same? I absolutely hate the deign of the system, their sound setup, the 1.44 framing, the screen curvature, the awful straight back seating and most of all the disappointing experience. I've seen digital IMAX, proper 15 perf 65mm IMAX, Liemax, Omnimax dome in addition to all the modern gimmick crap of the chain theaters like RPX, Big D, etc. I'm dying to see a Dolby location but only recently did one open nearby but only in a retrofitted auditorium. The only way I'll ever revisit an IMAX would be to see their new Laser projection system.

Ultimately all theaters suck in this day and age. Showmanship and proper presentation are truly dead outside of only the most dedicated of arthouses and historic theaters.

What I want to see is proper 70mm projection in a house designed for it. One day I hope to go to one of the festivals in LA, Chicago or Germany along with the nitrate festival.
Damn Fool Idealistic Crusader
Thanks given by: arriflexicution
Don't worry it'll be shown again, just keep an eye out here:

https://in70mm.com/now_showing/index.htm

And yeah see it in regular 70mm not IMAX.

I haven't seen the film yet, after the monumental let down of The Dark Knight Rises I didn't trust another Nolan film, especially one that sounded gimmicky. It's been reviewed well, but then so was The Force Awakens and that movie was awful - easily the worst of the Disney Star Wars so far. So I'm not about to trust what access journalism has to say about a film.
Thanks given by: captainsolo
Most of the 70mm theatres nearest me are in London. Particularly the Prince Charles Theatre... I'll have to go there one day!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IMAX Enhanced on Disney+ Hitcher 121 41,632 2023-11-07, 07:41 AM
Last Post: maksnew
Video all 3 Snyder Superman-related movie screenings, ZSJL in Imax w/ Snyder! Bilbofett 0 742 2023-03-21, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  How Kubrick Made 2001: A Space Odyssey (2 yrs in making, documentary now complete) BronzeTitan 0 2,555 2017-09-27, 04:41 AM
Last Post: BronzeTitan
  Dunkirk in 70mm Koopa Luath 18 16,426 2017-07-24, 09:59 AM
Last Post: CSchmidlapp