Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Released] Police Story III colour regrade/correction
Retiring this one as the just announced BD/4k will fulfill all of the same areas.

Thank you.
Thanks given by: PDB , spoRv
Hello,

Taking into account some comments here and elsewhere about the colours (particularly in regards to skin tones), I'm working on a revision. I'll post screencaps when able (I'm also helping a friend out with some colouration for a project), but I feel I've achieved a more natural skin colour (particularly in the latter outdoor scenes).

The revision will also have the theatrical mono Cantonese track, and (fingers crossed) a better quality source for the original English dub.
Thanks given by:
Good luck!
Thanks given by: Serums
Thanks! It's almost ready to go, I'm just waiting to hear back from my source, about the mono English track.
Thanks given by:
Progress:
[Image: 01.jpg]

[Image: 02.jpg]

[Image: 03.jpg]

Skintones look a little more natural to me. Getting there!
Thanks given by: CSchmidlapp
Just a suggestion, but skintones in HK films were never color timed to look natural. They were always stylised films.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-26, 02:02 PM)Stamper Wrote: Just a suggestion, but skintones in HK films were never color timed to look natural. They were always stylised films.

I hate to sound like a broken record but Based on what (LOL)?
"HK films were never color timed to look natural" I'm sure your just trolling now bud.

Besides, Serums is timing the Remastered BD to match the LD, which he (and I) feels is a much more pleasing color pallet.
Unsure if it's theatrically accurate, but the skin tones are.

Ive only seen a handful of original HK theatrical prints (mainly John Woo stuff) and from my memory the color timing never looked unnatural.
Stylish lighting or lack of yes, but not a 'timed' choice.
Thanks given by:
I saw most of those in theaters. The skintones always had these orange like, filmlike tones unlike video. So making skintones look natural is wrong. Witness for example the 4K remasters of all Bruce Lee films (corrected version) the skintones look filmic not natural.
(2019-08-26, 06:47 PM)Stamper Wrote: I saw most of those in theaters. The skintones always had these orange like, filmlike tones unlike video. So making skintones look natural is wrong. Witness for example the 4K remasters of all Bruce Lee films (corrected version) the skintones look filmic not natural.
I appreciate the input. I'm not necessarily trying to make them more natural to the point of taking away that filmic look. The last correction I did was a little desaturated, to the point where everyone's skintones looked very neutral (at the expense of colour).

My initial intent with this colouration was to get the new remaster looking similar to some of the more pleasing renditions we've had previously (rather than the flat, tinted mess that Ritrovata left it as). I was recently sent something which might look a little closer to what you're describing (it's neither the whole film nor a trailer). If I were to post some screenshots of it, could you tell me if it looks a little closer to what you remember?

I'm always quite happy to learn more about these films and how they were presented.
Thanks given by: Stamper
I'm liking the look of it so far. The blue-ish tint with orange or pale skin reminds me of the LD I use to have years ago and the Deltamac DVD (I thin) I still have. Not sure of the accuracy but it looks good to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Police Story IV: First Strike, Film Whisperer reconstruction The Film Whisperer 6 1,105 Today, 05:51 AM
Last Post: spearmintsatay
  [Archived] Aliens (1986) [Project: Celluloid — Branching Regrade] LucasGodzilla 9 3,382 2024-02-08, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [No Longer Available] The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix PDB 27 12,219 2024-01-13, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Released] HALLOWEEN: Evil Waits (2013 regrade with new prologue and original mono audio) pipefan413 20 6,596 2023-12-05, 11:31 PM
Last Post: alexpeden2000
  [Retired] Twin Dragons desaturation and colour correction. Serums 13 4,552 2023-12-05, 03:40 PM
Last Post: pipefan413
  Mr. Nice Guy (一個好人), Film Whisperer correction and enhancement The Film Whisperer 3 961 2023-10-01, 09:14 PM
Last Post: 7Dahl7
  [No Longer Available] Dragonslayer (Video Fix and Color Correction) PDB 42 30,308 2023-04-19, 10:18 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2
  [Archived] Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) [Project: Celluloid — Regrade] LucasGodzilla 22 9,403 2023-03-10, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Virtualcrane
  Blade Runner International Cut Regrade (Criterion Collection Laserdisc) PDB 44 53,608 2022-09-03, 07:07 AM
Last Post: BDgeek
  [Retired] The Dark Knight (Regrade and Imax Restoration) PDB 146 132,577 2022-08-07, 11:08 AM
Last Post: GOBLINx500