Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] first UHD-BD project
This is something I got in my mind since a (relatively) long time...

As I have no idea how to do that, I should start from scratch. I do not have an UHD-BD player as well, but luckily a friend of mine with one would (should) be happy to be my "project guinea pig"! Big Grin

Said so, first I want to find out some test or demo clips in UHD, to use as source - something possibly interesting, fun, or simply eye candies! Got some ideas, though...

Then, if not encoded in h.265, I'd like to do it following the right settings - that frankly I do not know (yet): for the moment, I'd prefer to leave HDR out of the equation, possibly adding it back in the future.

After that, I plan to make a simple BD folder with TSmuxeR, then fix it with TSM2UHD to make it UHD-BD compliant, and finally burn to a BD-R (BD-25 should suffice for the first time)

So, got some questions:

1. Has anyone attempted (or released) a project on UHD-BD?
  2. Is someone aware of which h.265 settings I should use to make compliant files?
Answers to this questions would be a nice starting point, but if you have any other thoughts, I'm all ears!

EDIT: link to Ultra HD Blu-ray white paper: http://blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadab...clean).pdf
Thanks given by:
I can't answer your question about how to do a UHD-BD sadly, but quite honestly, why bother? Pretty sure any decent 4K capable TV can play mkv straight from USB-sticks.

Did an h265 encode once for a 35mm scan with HDR (guessed test settings, didn't look very good). Put it on a USB stick, put that into a friend's 4K TV and it played just fine. Don't remember the settings I used, but I know I had to google the HDR parameters for the encoder, which only works for h265.

Most likely you can find help on settings on google and forums like doom9 about compliant settings, but also check out x265's --fullhelp output, I think it has some BD compliance stuff.

Also wouldn't bother with x264 for 4K I think. At 1080p x264 seems to be a bit better in my personal opinion but h265 really does seem to have the upper hand for 4K content, especially some of those tiny <10GB 4K encodes are really impressive, all things considered. To get nice looking 4K encodes with x264 you have to throw really big bitrates at it.
Thanks given by:
Well, I love physical media and, if a file is UHD-BD compliant, most likely it should play somewhere else!

Also, it would be great to have a collection of self-made projects along with self-designed covers - if I think I lost ALL my previous projects in the last hard disk failure, I start to cry... Cry
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-30, 03:44 AM)spoRv Wrote: Also, it would be great to have a collection of self-made projects along with self-designed covers - if I think I lost ALL my previous projects in the last hard disk failure, I start to cry... Cry

I know the feeling man, I do. Sad My condolences.
Thanks given by:
The DVDFab peeps seem to have a UHD Disc solution.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-creator.htm?trackID=headmenu2

Might be worth a trial and 'back-engineering' so to say Smile
Thanks given by:
I have made custom UHD-BD earlier - added custom audio and subtitles to existing disc. Only way I could to it is using Scenarist UHD - tsMuxer with other extra tools such as TSM2UHD would make disc unplayable.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-30, 03:44 AM)spoRv Wrote: Well, I love physical media and, if a file is UHD-BD compliant, most likely it should play somewhere else!

Also, it would be great to have a collection of self-made projects along with self-designed covers - if I think I lost ALL my previous projects in the last hard disk failure, I start to cry... Cry

Time to upgrade to a redundant NAS! Synology servers can also serve files via SMB or NFS making it extra easy to share across your network to devices that support network file shares.
Thanks given by:
Edited first post with an UHD-BD white paper: http://blu-raydisc.com/Assets/Downloadab...clean).pdf
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minimum Hardware Requirements for "fast" project encodes jerryshadoe 7 6,643 2017-06-07, 06:12 AM
Last Post: nightstalkerpoet