Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Idea] How to revive a clicking faulty HDD!
Thumbs Up 
WARNING: you should attempt this only if you can't/don't want to afford a professional rescue service, and/or you do not care too much to lose any data. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Well, two days ago, suddenly, one of my internal HDD started to click like a crazy! Of course, as it is one of internal drive, no dropping, shocks etc. occured.
So, out of the blue, I was at risk of losing years of projects!

Checked the drive with CrystalDiskInfo, it was at risk - really? - so I tried to recover as much as I can.
I started with few MBs of personal data and, despite I was able to backup them, speed rate was sooo low, going from few MBs to zero, up and down, and clicking sounds continue. I tried with bigger files, few GBs, and after some up and down, it stuck at zero bytes transferring speed...

What should I do now? Freezing trick? No way, it would not work.
Professional data recovery? At €€€ (up to 800, more or less) I can't afford it, and, frankly, even if important to me, there were "only" free time projects, albeit fruit of hundred, thousand hours of work...

Then, I had a crazy idea in mind... as the clicking sounds are obvious symptoms of mechanical problems, I thought that maybe the arms moved out of their positions - how, and why, I have no idea. So, the right thing to do would be to take them back to their right posizion. But how, without opening the drive, and destroy all data?

BRUTE FORCE!!!

Yep! I took the drive, "thrown" on the couch with all the force I had! Crazy, huh? I know! After five or six times, I put the drive back and, with my surprise, clicking sounds were still there, but reduced in time (not in intensity) - a sign, maybe, that some arm came back to the right position, and others not. So, I put it away again, another cycle of "cure", and then back. This time, NO CLICKS at all! Incredible!

I was able to backup all the data without problems, and during the various hours, no more clicks at all. After that, a slow format + wiping took a whole day, and still no clicks. Now the drive is up for sale on eBay (as faulty, of course), maybe someone could need the electronic parts.

Yes, a very unhortodox method to revive a clicking faulty drive, but when there are no chances, why not try new ways?

WARNING 2: remember to backup always your data - at least the personal and unmissable one, and DO NOT USE that drive again for anything but disposable data - like temporary files.
Thanks given by:
Lol. I'm hesitant to click "Thanks" because this doesn't seem very reproducible. Big Grin But glad it worked for you!

So which projects did you recover?
Thanks given by:
(2020-01-20, 08:05 AM)TomArrow Wrote: Lol. I'm hesitant to click "Thanks" because this doesn't seem very reproducible. Big Grin But glad it worked for you!

So which projects did you recover?

If that does not click... (pun intended) Happy

Dunno if it would be reproducib... reproductab... replicab... well, you got the point!

I saved a lot of half finished projects, plus few almost finished ones - Creep, Deep Rising, AVP:R - all UAR.
Thanks given by:
That's great, happy for ya. Didn't you also lose some older finished projects? Or is that hard drive gone by now?
Thanks given by:
(2020-01-20, 08:17 AM)TomArrow Wrote: That's great, happy for ya. Didn't you also lose some older finished projects? Or is that hard drive gone by now?

Sadly it was the main OS disk, that was fried thanks to "computer experts" in a shop - they candidly changed the power supply without changing the wires that, guess what? they were not compatible... so, apart OS and softwares (not difficult to restore, even if it took quite some time) I lost all my finished projects... Sad
Thanks given by:
Ah too bad. Might still be recoverable by an expert I think, but who knows.
Thanks given by:
(2020-01-20, 08:45 AM)TomArrow Wrote: Ah too bad. Might still be recoverable by an expert I think, but who knows.

Not after I bought (at my expense) a replacement card, to discover that was not the problem, and then opened up the whole drive... I guess! Happy
Thanks given by:
Ouch. Well, maybe if the platters aren't too damaged and there isn't too much dust and dirt inside...
Thanks given by:
Now would be a good time to switch to unraid and have a couple of parity disks in the array Smile.

Glad you were able to recover your data off of it!
Thanks given by:
(2020-01-20, 05:24 PM)althor1138 Wrote: Now would be a good time to switch to unraid and have a couple of parity disks in the array Smile.

Glad you were able to recover your data off of it!

Yep, but my internal HDD "fleet" is composed now by:
  • 2x 2TB
  • 1x 4TB
  • 1x 10TB
so a "meagre" 2TB RAID is almost useless... maybe another 4TB is a cheap solution, but a second 10TB will be better, but quite expensive.

Considering all the time the faulty one was alive, it was not so bad - but I have 12+ years HDDs that still works well, so not so good either! Big Grin
Thanks given by: