Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[proposal] Do The Right Thing - 'orange tint'
This is a bit of a strange one, normally we're complaining about tints being added to old movies on here. With Do The Right Thing the opposite happened on the blu-ray release:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReview...lu-ray.htm

I always really liked the striking orange colour of this film and think it was a big part of the feel of the movie so my question is; would it be possible for someone (I would if I knew what I was doing!) to add an orange tint to the blu-ray to recreate the original look? Alternatively if there are any HDTV rips with the orange look I'd be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction. Many thanks!
Thanks given by:
Despite the fact that the new BD, watched "alone", with no comparison to the Criterion DVD, has a natural color grading, I agree that should not be what the director intended... the DVD, with its hot grading, is perfect to rapresent the hottest day of the year... if only I had some spare time! Wink

Hope someone will take time to do this restoration!
Thanks given by: alexpeden2000
Another film is revised Lucas like on Blu -- what a travesty!
Thanks given by:
If I was to give this a go what would people suggest as the best method? Bare in mind I'm a beginner!
Thanks given by:
If you have A LOT of time, and patience (for the last thing, I'm pretty sure you have it!), the best results could be obtained to color grading each scene (or each shot); only with this method, you could be sure to have a near 100% match; at the contrary, if you want to have a color grading that "resemble" the one of the DVD, you could apply a general setting for the whole movie first, then check if there are scenes (shots) which are way too off, and then apply different settings for them... not a perfect method, but with a bit of luck, you could reach very good results, sometimes not too distant from the previous method.

Out of curiosity, what software would you use? I use Avisynth but, if you have to start from scratch, I strongly reccomend to NOT use it, as it's really difficult to learn and use for a novice - and still it is, sometimes, even if I'm using it for years; you could use that time to master a newer software, like Davinci Resolve...
Thanks given by:
(2015-03-12, 04:39 PM)spoRv Wrote: Out of curiosity, what software would you use?

I think I'd try a general regrade to start with and see how it goes. I have had a look at Avisynth before and to be honest its too complicated for me. I think I'd need something with a GUI that was fairly beginner-friendly. I will have a look at DaVinci Resolve, what about Adobe's products? I did a quick google search and 'SpeedGrade' came up - has anyone on here used that before?

I have the Criterion DVD to use to match the blu-ray to so whichever program lets me do that most simply will probably be the way to go.

Thanks for all the advice!
Thanks given by:
Has anyone got any advice on what program to try first for this project please?
Thanks given by:
Davinci Resolve is free now; you should try it, and let us know what do you think!
Thanks given by: alexpeden2000
Ok so it turns out my in built graphics card is no good for DaVinci or Adobe Speedgrade. Is there any regrade software I could get that will work with Intel HD Graphics? I'd like to give it a try first and then think about upgrading my graphics card if it goes well...
Thanks given by:
AviSynth should do, but again, it's really difficult to use...

Give VirtualDub a try; it has a lot of free plugins, some of them gives you the ability to regrade... it should work!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposal: The James Cameron Project PDB 322 55,338 2024-04-17, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wongfeihung
  [proposal] Robocop - Theatrical Cut alexpeden2000 96 63,485 2023-05-17, 03:01 AM
Last Post: axeyou
  (Help) A Clockwork Orange 1999 DVD CloakedDragon97 1 831 2023-03-19, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [proposal] Hitchcock: Restorations of Universal BDs The Aluminum Falcon 13 11,286 2022-05-10, 09:01 PM
Last Post: captainsolo
  [Request] A Clockwork Orange (1971) - 1st US DVD bendermac 12 5,595 2022-01-20, 08:19 PM
Last Post: ac3
  [request] The Thing From Another World oh_riginal 12 9,644 2021-09-22, 07:44 PM
Last Post: captainsolo
  [proposal] Poltergeist (1982) uncut! titanic 17 17,762 2019-12-06, 08:18 PM
Last Post: RepulsionRegis
  [proposal] Mad Max Regrade PDB 12 12,128 2018-12-13, 03:54 AM
Last Post: marin888
  [proposal] The Warriors Theatrical alexpeden2000 40 30,493 2018-02-02, 04:04 PM
Last Post: X5gb
  [proposal] Lord Of The Rings trilogy spoRv 8 8,820 2018-01-15, 08:36 AM
Last Post: 44rh1n