Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Retired] The Dark Knight (Regrade and Imax Restoration)
[Image: UQD2HfU.jpg]

The Dark Knight Regrade (Imax Project #1, v1.1)

This project has changed. Originally, it was suppose to be an upscale but now is all HD. See project origin here:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-1071.html

The goal of this project was to first restore the Imax shots to their full frame (from the CE BD and DVD) and correct the picture to remove as many faults (halos, etc) as possible. The second part involved pulling as many 35mm frames, 70mm frames, trailers, promotional material and boots to help better determine DK's look in theaters (less red , more green) and steer this regrade to look more like that. And third include the Cinema DTS soundtrack to the finished project, allowing you to hear the track as it appeared in theaters.

Video:
The BD image was run through a filter to reduce edge enhancement and then mixed with the 4:3/original matte Imax footage from the bonus features in the BE CE. Unfortunately, only 6 sequences were in full frame leave about 30+ shots still in 16:9. For those missing shots the full frame DVD was upscaled, de-blocked and dehalo-ed. The result works well for most shots with only 4 or 5 shots looking poor due to the DVD's noise. The resulting image was then color corrected with a 35mm LUT.

The resulting video was synced to the BD

I also used a lot of information from CSchmidlapp's thread:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-56.html?hi...ark+knight

The video was synced to the BD

Audio:
1. DTS-HD MA 5.1 (from the Cinema DTS discs)

2. Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (from the US BD)

Pics:

MKV Pics (Final)
[Image: OCnnc7w.jpg]

BD/Regrade (Out of date)
[Image: FLNFo0q.jpg]
[Image: d3Krzox.jpg]
[Image: xv4kKxs.jpg]
[Image: mUILPuR.jpg]
[Image: GAmuubb.jpg]

CSchmidlapp: for the needed Imax shots and his research
Chris_solo: for syncing the Cinema DTS soundtrack
Jetrell Fo: for finding and sharing the Cinema DTS soundtrack
Doombot: for advice
Seems Very cool. The 4:3 Frame Images seem quite beautiful it that AR.
"Never cut a deal with a dragon..."
- Old Shadowrun wisdom
Thanks given by:
Great project PDB! Ok

I wonder if an Italian track could be put in sync with it.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mr. Brown

SpoRv, assuming that the Euro disc is the same as the North American one, I can add it since this project is synced to the BD
Thanks given by:
You know, it's always my fixed idea of multilanguage editions... Big Grin

I have not that BD, so I can't say if it is/it is not in sync; I do not dare to ask you to find and add it to the project, only to make me and Evit happy... Wink
Thanks given by:
Was there not a Nolan Trilogy BD set that included all the IMAX sequences that could be useful?
Thanks given by:
I think you might be right Jetrell. I think the last collector set had the IMAX shot in full frame HD and not 16:9. Sadly, I don't have those and if I recall it was missing a few shots.

If someone has those shots I can pop them into a HD version instead of the upscale.
Thanks given by:
I just saw a few on eBay. It says they contain all the IMAX scenes for TDk and TDKR so that's why I was wondering why DVD was being used if they were available in higher quality.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-03, 05:28 PM)PDB Wrote: I think you might be right Jetrell. I think the last collector set had the IMAX shot in full frame HD and not 16:9. Sadly, I don't have those and if I recall it was missing a few shots.

If someone has those shots I can pop them into a HD version instead of the upscale.

I have them good sir, but you are right there are a few city shots missing.
ill get them to you a.s.a.p.
Thanks given by:
That would be great. Most appreciated. I can use my upscale for those shots not in HD.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moonwalker (1988 Michael Jackson movie), Film Whisperer HD restoration (2023 update) The Film Whisperer 11 3,706 2024-02-23, 02:19 PM
Last Post: fanislive
  [Archived] Aliens (1986) [Project: Celluloid — Branching Regrade] LucasGodzilla 9 3,073 2024-02-08, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [No Longer Available] The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix PDB 27 11,753 2024-01-13, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  The Protector (威龍猛探) [1985]--Japanese version Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 0 209 2024-01-09, 03:40 AM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  Fist of Legend (精武英雄), Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 7 2,249 2024-01-09, 01:47 AM
  [Released] HALLOWEEN: Evil Waits (2013 regrade with new prologue and original mono audio) pipefan413 20 6,261 2023-12-05, 11:31 PM
Last Post: alexpeden2000
  [Retired] Twin Dragons desaturation and colour correction. Serums 13 4,338 2023-12-05, 03:40 PM
Last Post: pipefan413
  "Kill Bill", single-film version, Film Whisperer restoration (UPDATE) The Film Whisperer 2 543 2023-11-21, 12:06 AM
  [Released] Alien: Covenant - IMAX/Open Matte/2.40:1 VAR Hybrid Hitcher 14 4,048 2023-11-10, 11:17 PM
Last Post: flacnvinyl
  [Released] The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Disney Mini Classics HD Restoration stwd4nder2 12 1,661 2023-11-03, 09:50 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2