Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek: The Motion Picture Laserdisc Subtitles Screencaps
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has a copy of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Laserdisc could post screencaps of how the alien subtitles look (during the opening Klingon scene and during the Kolinahr). The HDTV and the Director's cut use burnt-in subtitles in the Star Trek II font, and the BD uses generic soft subs. A quick search shows the the laserdisc has the original subtitles using a font from the Bauhaus family.
At some point I'm going to do an updated version of my TMP Director's Cut Recreation (I already made new opening credits with a title card animation to match the DVD). It would be nice to have a reference for the subtitles with the exact font and its placement on the screen.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I found Bauhaus LT Bold to be pretty much dead-on (the y and the e are the main giveaways):

[Image: W8nGMhd.jpg]

(Ignore the weird geometry on the left - Spock was on the rough end of the lens used for the laserdisc telecine).

I'll send you a set of screengrabs.

Edit: Not that that necessarily confirms the theatrical font and placement, but it seems the most likely answer. Does anyone have an original rental VHS to check? Was there a Super 8 digest?
Thanks given by:
Sweet. Thank you so much for the references. Such a nice font compared to what they replaced it with. The STII font is fine, but it's in all caps and meant for titles.
Thanks given by:
To be a know-it-all, the ST2 credits font *was* used for *that* film's subtitles.

Didn't the Special Longer Version VHS have this font too? I could have sworn it did. I also may have obtained a copy of the ABC network premiere at some point. (However, if I recall the subtitles were recreated on video, as per Paramount's usual practice with credits/subtitles during the 80s - though they usually seemed to use the original fonts).
Thanks given by: iguanaclerk
STII doesn't have burnt-in alien subtitles as far as I remember. Who is subtitled in that film? And the end credits of STII use a mixed-case font for the positions of crew-members, while the director's cut DVD of the Motion Picture inappropriately uses all-caps for its subs.
Thanks given by:
Spock and Saavik's conversation about Kirk when he arrives on the Enterprise. Those subs have been pretty consistently represented on home video (at least, the laserdisc, HDTV and Blu-rays that I have to hand).
Thanks given by: iguanaclerk
Ah yes, you're right. Those subs, at least on the newest Blu ray, are optically composited, so they are most likely completely original.
Thanks for your help finding the right font. I just uploaded the latest version of my TMP Director's Cut HD recreation and now it uses the correct font for subtitles.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Request] Peter Pan (1960) LaserDisc/VHS restoration James76 2 566 2023-12-13, 12:13 AM
Last Post: James76
  [Idea] Prey (2022) with FIXED English subtitles? oh_riginal 5 1,023 2023-11-18, 12:49 PM
Last Post: DeafYakuza
  [Idea] The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - 4K Demastered Hydra Spectre 4 1,076 2023-10-02, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Kreeep
  [Idea] Laserdisc Capture Of Old Films In MKV Format? Rinal_Singh94 0 556 2023-08-15, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Rinal_Singh94
Video Halloween (1978) Criterion Laserdisc and synchronized mono mix (spoRv) mak100 0 514 2023-08-06, 08:59 PM
Last Post: mak100
  [Request] 1992 Walt Disney Classics Sorcerer Mickey Logo Laserdisc rip with PCM Sound dwalkerdon 9 5,587 2023-04-12, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Falcon
  [Request] Grand Prix 1966 Laserdisc Yarp 0 641 2023-01-04, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Yarp
  Labyrinth (1986) laserdisc audio dvdmike 33 20,917 2022-04-08, 04:55 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2
  [Request] Halloween (1978) Criterion Laserdisc Rip kidjupiter92 7 2,628 2022-02-04, 05:11 PM
Last Post: PDB
  THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW pipefan413 19 7,870 2022-02-01, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Doctor M