Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Mobile version on tablet
When I'm viewing this forum on my iPad in landscape mode (1024px width), it loads the mobile version of the site. So everything looks huge!

Is it possible to change the breakpoint so it only loads the mobile view on maybe devices which are smaller than 768px perhaps?
Thanks given by:
You could always switch to full version manually.
Thanks given by:
Still, if the forum is automatically selecting "mobile", then it should test screen min-max for "mobile". Displaying an un-viewable page is a bug. After such a test, it should then choose "mobile-small" or "mobile-large" for proper a display on a mobile device.

If that can't be done, then there should be a button for user selection of "small or large" (or "mobile" or "fullsize"), anytime while at the site (because mobile needs that simplicity).
Thanks given by:
Why do you think it should check screen resolution? There are phones with resolution over 1080p, they shouldn't be getting the desktop version of the site. Detection is based on the user agent of the browser.

You can switch by just clicking "go to the full version" at the bottom of the site, this setting should be remembered
Thanks given by:
I guess it's stored in a cookie as it reverts to mobile view after a while.

Also I need to scroll all the way to the bottom to switch to desktop mode. You may be thinking"yeah so what?" Smile well it's not the end of the world but a minor annoyance.

Actually web page breakpoints are based on logical pixel width and not physical pixels. So even a setting the breakpoint at < 768px for mobile site, most browsers should behave correctly, even on a phone with full hd screen.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-08, 11:27 PM)Feallan Wrote: Why do you think it should check screen resolution?

I read a paper about it some time ago. It was an unresolved bug (design problem) and the suggested remedy was for resolution checking to mitigate unexpected delivery, such as "huge" pages.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 01:49 AM)NeonBible Wrote: I guess it's stored in a cookie as it reverts to mobile view after a while.

Also I need to scroll all the way to the bottom to switch to desktop mode. You may be thinking"yeah so what?" Smile well it's not the end of the world but a minor annoyance.

Actually web page breakpoints are based on logical pixel width and not physical pixels. So even a setting the breakpoint at < 768px for mobile site, most browsers should behave correctly, even on a phone with full hd screen.

Yeah, but then what about people who prefer the mobile version on tablets? Smile If I had different-sized themes for the mobile version, I'd use them this way, but unfortunately the mobile plugin we use on Fanres (Mybb Gomobile) is years old and basically obsolete, I don't know if you've noticed, but it has a number of bugs and some features basically stopped working after updates to MyBB. Fortunately, MyBB 1.9 is supposed to have a mobile-friendly theme out of the box, so I'm holding out for that.

You can also set this in user CP

User CP -> Edit options -> Use a mobile version if I visit from a mobile device? (in other options box)

This setting should be permanent.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 02:45 AM)BronzeTitan Wrote:
(2018-09-08, 11:27 PM)Feallan Wrote: Why do you think it should check screen resolution?

I read a paper about it some time ago. It was an unresolved bug (design problem) and the suggested remedy was for resolution checking to mitigate unexpected delivery, such as "huge" pages.

The problem is, with a mobile theme that doesn't implement this, I could only decide whether to send a desktop or mobile version, nothing in-between. Hopefully MyBB 1.9 will be better
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 11:53 AM)Feallan Wrote: Yeah, but then what about people who prefer the mobile version on tablets? Smile

That is a valid question. But the problem is that mobile view looks so obviously wrong on tablet, seriously the text huuuge. The theme should really be responsive. But I take your point below that it is old.

(2018-09-09, 11:53 AM)Feallan Wrote: If I had different-sized themes for the mobile version, I'd use them this way, but unfortunately the mobile plugin we use on Fanres (Mybb Gomobile) is years old and basically obsolete, I don't know if you've noticed, but it has a number of bugs and some features basically stopped working after updates to MyBB. Fortunately, MyBB 1.9 is supposed to have a mobile-friendly theme out of the box, so I'm holding out for that.

You can also set this in user CP

User CP -> Edit options -> Use a mobile version if I visit from a mobile device? (in other options box)

This setting should be permanent.

Cool, I will look at the setting in CP. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last Post button on Chrome mobile Bigrob 1 2,561 2020-02-21, 01:45 AM
Last Post: Feallan
  [Help] images "squeezed" on mobile version spoRv 9 12,125 2018-10-23, 09:48 PM
Last Post: spoRv