Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[proposal] Ben Roderick's Color Grades
Hello everyone from FanRes.com, my name is Ben Roderick and I've always interested of doing a filmic look on animated TV shows like an anime show or a traditionally Western animated show. So, that's why I'm doing a proposal to show you my color grade of these animated TV shows.

What I do is to rip from any promo or bumper from an action animated block called Toonami and I converted these videos by using Freemake Video Converter (1080p!), then I do some video shaders from one of the popular video players: MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) and do a codec filter called ffdshow by fully modifying the video and then I save an image from one of my videos and then I go to the Adobe Photoshop and I use an adjustment to making it an filmic approach to any anime or Western animated show.

Let me show you an example and I hope you will understand:

Original: http://imgur.com/1dCHznW =====> Roderick Color Grade: http://imgur.com/0Feyd9X

Pretty cool, huh? This is why I called "inspiration" because of you guys who been doing these good transfers from any movie to make any DVD/BD transfer better.

@ Ben Roderick

P.S. Is this proposal against the rules? Please tell me!
Thanks given by:
Welcome aboard! I think the idea is good, we need always "fresh minds", BUT... here you are some tips that may help you a bit:
Follow your passion, but be aware: you'll spend A LOT of your free time, and at the end you'll never be free to watch a movie (or a toon) without thinking "well, it needs a color regrade" or something like this! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-19, 10:02 AM)spoRv Wrote: Welcome aboard! I think the idea is good, we need always "fresh minds", BUT... here you are some tips that may help you a bit:

Follow your passion, but be aware: you'll spend A LOT of your free time, and at the end you'll never be free to watch a movie (or a toon) without thinking "well, it needs a color regrade" or something like this! Big Grin

Well, I humbly thank you for that. But there are two things, 1. I think of having Adobe Premiere Pro, but I tried to install by using uTorrent and the whole disable connection thing is not working. (It works on Photoshop, but not on Premiere Pro) 2. I can't do on screenshotcomparison, because my Photoshop-graded images are like 3 MB and that makes it slow and I think it won't enable to see on the website so I think any DVD or Blu-Ray or web-ripped images needs to be up 'til 5 MB. Sorry about that.

@ Ben Roderick
Thanks given by:
I think you should use a video editing program, to avoid make the color correction frame-by-frame, that will be a lot faster!

About screenshotcomparison, for a quick-n-dirt comparison you could always save the images as .jpg; the quality is good enough to show color grading differences.
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-19, 02:26 PM)spoRv Wrote: I think you should use a video editing program, to avoid make the color correction frame-by-frame, that will be a lot faster!

About screenshotcomparison, for a quick-n-dirt comparison you could always save the images as .jpg; the quality is good enough to show color grading differences.

Thanks for that advice! Does that the whole .jpg thing is common? Because I don't remember about that.
Thanks given by:
usually 1920x1080 png files are about 2-3MB each, so each comparison could be easily up to 6MB - that's why I make just single comparison with png files, because my slow connection doesn't allow me to do more... but, if you have to not show finer details, JPGs are good, in particular to show color regrades.
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-19, 07:32 PM)spoRv Wrote: usually 1920x1080 png files are about 2-3MB each, so each comparison could be easily up to 6MB - that's why I make just single comparison with png files, because my slow connection doesn't allow me to do more... but, if you have to not show finer details, JPGs are good, in particular to show color regrades.

That sounds good. I'll get into that!
Thanks given by:
All right everyone, after some advice from sporv, I decided to do some examples of my color grade for any Western animated TV show or anime by doing a different filmic look of these shows.

The first example is a web rip from a bumper of Dragon Ball Z Kai from Toonami.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122948

Pretty cool, huh? Here's another one!

The second example is a web rip from an Toonami music video called, "The World Needs All Kinds" and it has Ghost in the Shell as one of the animes that are shown in this one-minute music video.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122950
(Sorry for the image synchronization. I promise I won't happen again.)

And here comes the last one that I'm gonna show you today or tonight!

Of course, the example needs some western animation and so this is web rip from one of the bumpers of Samurai Jack from Toonami (in an modifying aspect ratio).
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122951

I hope you guys all enjoy it and also I'm not doing like a DVD of those transfers. Those are examples of my color grade and maybe it is for inspiration, I don't know.

@ Ben Roderick
Thanks given by:
Ghost in the Shell is too dark for my tastes - you are loosing too many details in the shadows...

Apart that, are you following other sources for these color grading, or they are only your "artistic decisions"? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-20, 10:47 PM)spoRv Wrote: Ghost in the Shell is too dark for my tastes - you are loosing too many details in the shadows...

Apart that, are you following other sources for these color grading, or they are only your "artistic decisions"? Big Grin

Artistic decisions.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposal: The James Cameron Project PDB 322 55,473 2024-04-17, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wongfeihung
  [proposal] Robocop - Theatrical Cut alexpeden2000 96 63,492 2023-05-17, 03:01 AM
Last Post: axeyou
  Home Alone 1990 color grading Nfsfan83 2 1,057 2022-11-08, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Nfsfan83
  Death Machine 1994 Looking for right color grading Nfsfan83 20 6,793 2022-06-17, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Pineapples101
  [proposal] Hitchcock: Restorations of Universal BDs The Aluminum Falcon 13 11,286 2022-05-10, 09:01 PM
Last Post: captainsolo
  Looking for the "right" Terminator 2 color grading... spoRv 469 310,933 2021-12-17, 09:48 AM
Last Post: dvdmike
  The Fly (1958)... wrong color grading? Onti 2 2,058 2021-04-19, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Onti
  Looking for the "right" Predator color grading... spoRv 62 47,790 2021-03-04, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Test] My Thread of Random Color Comparisons LucasGodzilla 17 9,298 2020-09-21, 04:13 PM
Last Post: PDB
  Looking for "The Terminator" (1984) theatrical color grading [FOUND] Evit 227 141,728 2020-08-15, 10:02 AM
Last Post: MrBrown