Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Can DaVinci Resolve trim without re-encode?
Can DaVinci Resolve do what TMPGEnc Smart Renderer does? Export video without reencoding everything but only those parts that have been trimmed and joined together?

And while I'm asking, does TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 include the Smart renderer? They seem to be sold separately so I'm not sure if Authoring Works 6 includes the other, their website is a bit confusing.
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:
TMPGenc support team replied:

Quote: Authoring Works 6 smart rendering function is for files that are
compatible with DVD-Video, Blu-ray and AVCHD media output.
Here are the specifications, see at:
- DVD-Video Output Specifications
- Blu-ray (BDMV) Output Specifications
- AVCHD Output Specifications
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/produc..._spec.html

If you want to output to the same format and use the smart rendering
functions the suitable software is would be MPEG Smart Renderer 5.
We strongly recommend you to test first with the free Trial version:
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tmsr5.html

No words on DaVinci Resolve, I had a quick look at it and couldn't find a way to do smart rendering.
Thanks given by:
Got a feeling its not possible Evit, think only Videredo, Tmpeg and SolveigsMM have frame accurate smart rendering. Read in a forum someone saying it may be possible with Premiere but would take that with a pinch of salt. I personally use Videredo but on occasion the audio sync can be lost when using different sources but if your dab hand with re-syncing not to much of a hinderance.
Thanks given by:
Most big editing software like Final Cut and Premiere support smart rendering, I think DaVinci also might. But they never really do for H264/x264. It's usually just for intraframe codecs like DV, DNxHD and ProRes and I think some special intraframe H264 variants in a few cases.
Thanks given by:
Yea, now you come to think of it, the forum post I was reading about Premiere mentioned them codecs so it must be correct.
Thanks given by:
Audio sync is not a big deal, I always treat audio and video separately anyway. Yeah, I had the feeling that Premiere and others are limited to DNxHD and similar formats and not h.264. From what TMPGenc support team said, sounds like it could be the same with their Authoring Works 6 which means I would have to buy Smart Renderer separately, unless I misunderstood their words. I have the trial version of their two programs (Authoring Works 6 and Smart Renderer) but before starting it I want to wait until I have time to actually sit down and do some tests.
Thanks given by:
Prefer Videoredo myself as the editing screen is betrer laid out and alot easier to work with and the joiner program is a doddle.
Thanks given by:
I'll give a shot to Videoredo trial too, thanks for the suggestions guys
Thanks given by:
Alright, who's making a Videoredo guide for me? Ahah
Thanks given by:
In general parameters outside of default I set:

Editing accuracy as Frame Accurate
Editing mode as Scene Mode

And Prompt for jouner descriptions.

Under Navigation

One arrow I set to 0
Two arrow to 1
Three arrow to 10

Time code format i use: SMPTE HH : MM : SS :FF

The rest is pretty straight forward.

If its just edits to one source like editing cimmercials etc use the in/out markers to select your first scene you wish to keep and then add scene selection and then place the in/out markers around the next scene you wish to keep and then again add scene selection and so forth and so forth.

If you are editing multiple sources, open your first source, place the in/out markers around the first scene you wish to keep and then add to joiner, then open your second source, again choose the next scene and add to joiner, then open your first source again (or your third source if needed) and like wise again. If when adding to joiner it asks do you want to add replace etc your previous edit (as the source has the same name) just hit add.

When your finished adding all your edits to joiner either hit save joiner on the side to immediately save the output at which pount it will ask you where to save and which output profile like mkv etc and give you option of editing that profile for level, tune, crf or two pass, bitrate, mkv parameters, or if you wish to check your edits, move them around etc hit joiner at the top and a screen will come up showing all your edits where you open each one to check or change.

Thats basically it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonemapping from HDR to SDR with Dolby Vision 100nit trim pass bobbster574 0 313 2024-03-21, 11:06 PM
Last Post: bobbster574
  I want to change AR, do I have to re-encode? If so, how can I keep original settings? Onti 3 1,974 2021-07-14, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Onti
  Best way to convert MKV for use in DaVinci Resolve? Hitcher 24 8,865 2021-04-28, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Beber
  Syncing clips in Davinci Resolve trondmm 0 1,718 2019-08-12, 05:36 PM
Last Post: trondmm
  Best format for exporting from Resolve? bronan 24 14,258 2019-07-03, 08:28 AM
Last Post: deleted user