Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropping an MKV file
Hi there, just wondering if there is a simple way to crop an mkv file? For example, when using vlc it is possible to crop a 16:9 image to 5:3 (1.66) or 4:3 but is there a program that can make a permanent change? Thinking of using something like this for a coupel of projects I have in mind...
Thanks given by:
I don't know of a simple way, but I think it's possible (depending on codec/container) to do this losslessly because supposedly there are retail DVDs that can show full-screen and widescreen off of the same video data. I've never seen a DVD like this, but *I think* the MPEG-2/DVD spec even defines this possibility. It's shameful it wasn't/isn't used.
Thanks given by:
It's possible of course, but for lossy formats, not without reencoding.

You can do it in Handbrake for example. Command-line x264 probably has this option as well.
Thanks given by:
And on the other hand, depending on container/codec it should possible to do this losslessly with no reencoding, however I've never viewed a video (DVD) that's done this.
(2015-06-13, 08:59 PM)Feallan Wrote: It's possible of course, but for lossy formats, not without reencoding.

You can do it in Handbrake for example. Command-line x264 probably has this option as well.
Thanks given by:
I was going to recommend Handbrake also. Its pretty the easy to use.
Thanks given by:
You can crop any video using mkvtoolnix. Then it will display direct widescreen on your TV using a WDTV for example, without reencoding
Thanks given by:
Do all MKV software/hardware players support lossless cropping for all video codecs (that MKV supports)?

I would beware and verify the software/hardware MKV player you're using supports the MKV lossless cropping for the video codec you're using because (I could be wrong), however, I would think MKV's lossless cropping doesn't work with every type of video codec and on every MKV player.
(2015-06-14, 10:04 AM)Stamper Wrote: You can crop any video using mkvtoolnix. Then it will display direct widescreen on your TV using a WDTV for example, without reencoding
Thanks given by:
MKV is a container (like AVI, M2TS etc.) and, unless it contains a lossless encoded video, it's impossible to crop it losslessly - read: if it has an h264 video, it's not possible to crop without re-encoding it...
Thanks given by:
spoRV, I know you're a master and an expert, however I think you're mistaken, but it's ok. I would think MKV does define the use of a viewport separate from resolution, whether this is actually implemented/supported in players for all video codecs is another thing, but for MPEG-2, it's supported with VOB's and I'm assuming MKV's (because MKV's were defined supposedly to support DVD functions very closely, however as we all know the software/implementations don't actually do this). I've always been interested in this because of my previous fullscreen comments, and now I'll look it up when I get a free chance.

A quick search turned up this, which doesn't definitely say lossless MKV cropping supported but does align nicely with my and Stampers opinions and thoughts.
http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-138711.html

(2015-06-15, 01:15 AM)spoRv Wrote: MKV is a container (like AVI, M2TS etc.) and, unless it contains a lossless encoded video, it's impossible to crop it losslessly - read: if it has an h264 video, it's not possible to crop without re-encoding it...

Thanks given by:
I may be wrong, but try this: take whatever video, in letterbox format, lossy encoded (h264, mpeg2, vc1 etc) and put it in an MKV container; crop out the black borders; compare the same frame before and after; if the cropping is effectively lossless, you will note no difference in the cropped and uncropped frame (apart, obviously, the absence of black bars); let me know if it does occur.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] Return to Oz (1985) Workprint Version DVD ISO File? James76 1 1,352 2023-05-25, 04:19 PM
Last Post: CloakedDragon97
  [Help] Babes in Toyland (1986) TV version DVD+R DL ISO file? James76 7 2,843 2022-12-27, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Doctor M