Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change framerate (losslessly)
Sometimes you want to change the frame-rate of a video but not re-encode it. This is straightforward, but not all video editors comply. For instance, FFmpeg won't do it for you. The frame-rate is not stored in the video stream header, it's stored throughout the stream (hence why you can have a variable frame rate video file if you want). The easiest way to change the framerate is with MP4Box. First you need the raw video file...

Code:
MP4Box -add "input file.mp4"#video -raw 1 -new "output file1.h264"

Note that MP4Box has a habit of giving you two files after this step (just delete one). You can use mkvextract/mkvextractgui if the source file is a MKV file.

Next add the video stream to a new file like so:

Code:
MP4Box -add "output file1.h264":fps=23.976 -new "second output file.mp4"

As mentioned above, the fps is not stored in the container, so you can demux/re-mux the .h264 file and the frame-rate will remain as whatever you changed it to.
Thanks given by:
Mpegstreamclip works just fine for that
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variable Framerate & 2:3 Pulldown alexpeden2000 5 966 2023-08-23, 10:15 AM
Last Post: zoidberg
  I want to change AR, do I have to re-encode? If so, how can I keep original settings? Onti 3 1,962 2021-07-14, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Onti
  Best way to convert .m4v to .mp4 losslessly? Jetrell Fo 14 12,747 2019-11-14, 10:32 AM
Last Post: deleted user