Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did back to the future get a newer 4k scan?
Someone went on the Deluxe site for theater releases, looks like Universal is re-releasing some movies for some flashback screenings and They noticed that Back to the Future is one of them and the strange thing is the date on the CPL, its dated 2021.

Is there a newer transfer now that may eclipse the 4K? Or is it when the existing 4k transfer may have been downloaded onto a DCP file?
Thanks given by:
(2022-10-19, 06:41 AM)jedimasterplo Wrote: Someone went on the Deluxe site for theater releases, looks like Universal is re-releasing some movies for some flashback screenings and They noticed that Back to the Future is one of them and the strange thing is the date on the CPL, its dated 2021.

Is there a newer transfer now that may eclipse the 4K? Or is it when the existing 4k transfer may have been downloaded onto a DCP file?

I'm pretty sure that it's the same transfer used for the 4K UHD release
Thanks given by:
I made a fuss over on the Blu-ray forums last year about the 4K using ~720p proxies for a 20 minute stretch towards the beginning of the film, as well as contacted Universal and a few online reviewers multiple times. It's possible Universal didn't deem it necessary to release a replacement for the 4K BD, but did decide to correct their internal master for future use. Did it say what month it was dated as?
Thanks given by:
That's just DNR for all the opticals at the start of a movie
Thanks given by:
(2022-11-26, 10:10 PM)dvdmike Wrote: That's just DNR for all the opticals at the start of a movie

It’s not. Sharp lines alias on the 4K, while remaining sharp on the remastered Blu-ray. The 1955 townsquare screenshots on capsaholic demonstrate it most clearly.
Thanks given by:
(2022-11-27, 04:12 AM)wright96d Wrote: It’s not. Sharp lines alias on the 4K, while remaining sharp on the remastered Blu-ray. The 1955 townsquare screenshots on capsaholic demonstrate it most clearly.

That's because you're looking at two different scans on capsaholic. The one labelled UK remaster I believe is the restoration my friend worked on for universal released in 2020 - the UHD is from a completely different scan and isn't their restoration.
Thanks given by: dvdmike
(2022-11-27, 03:46 PM)Valeyard Wrote:
(2022-11-27, 04:12 AM)wright96d Wrote: It’s not. Sharp lines alias on the 4K, while remaining sharp on the remastered Blu-ray. The 1955 townsquare screenshots on capsaholic demonstrate it most clearly.

That's because you're looking at two different scans on capsaholic. The one labelled UK remaster I believe is the restoration my friend worked on for universal released in 2020 - the UHD is from a completely different scan and isn't their restoration.

They are quite clearly both from the same restoration/scan.
Thanks given by:
Then it's an authoring issue not a scan or restoration issue (that screenshot is aggressively sharpened as well which is NOT something they would have done in the restoration phase I promise you that). It's entirely possible they used a lower-resolution proxy for the UHD there ... like I said definitely an authoring issue and not on the restoration-side. The scanner that was used literally couldn't have produced a scan at the low resolution of the UHD.
Thanks given by:
Can anyone on here help me find out where can I find Kaleidascape device reviews specifically of the back to the future trilogy.
Thanks given by:
(2022-12-11, 11:49 PM)jedimasterplo Wrote: Can anyone on here help me find out where can I find Kaleidascape device reviews specifically of the back to the future trilogy.

@the4kcollective on twitter has one and tweets tech details and shots at times.
Nice guy worth an ask
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back To The Future marathon spoRv 18 14,181 2015-10-23, 08:41 PM
Last Post: spoRv