Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mary Poppins?
Really surprised that blah-ray never covered this one. I'd love to do a large scale comparison to see what sounds the best (if it's not already been done). Both the 7.1 and 5.1 are slightly different mixes but have lots of noise reduction applied.

I've listened to the blu-ray (3 different tracks) a random PAL dvd (5.1), an HDTV rip (5.1), and a late 80s VHS. The VHS easily sounds the best with much less NR, although my copy is thrashed so I'll have to seek out a replacement if it ends up needing a sync. Here's quick comparison to the 2.0 "original" mix that is included on the blu:
Dg9iUnL.png (1308×1157) (imgur.com)

Looks like there are a bunch of LDs to choose from and there's a few other VHS copies I might have to snag. Anyone have any LD/VHS recordings or any input as to what mixes might sound the best?
Thanks given by:
The 2.0 "original" mix for Mary Poppins is the 3-channel stereo master mix, the first time presented here in a mostly unaltered form. It could be the NR applied, but this track always sounded very front heavy and narrow since it's just music/SFX in the fronts and dialog in the center. The premiere prints were 4-track stereo, but this mix could be the L/R/C with a rear phantom channel made from an inversion of the fronts. Most release prints and early reissues were of the mono mix (a simple folddown of the 3-channel LRC).

For the mid-80s reissue they did a new "Dolby Stereo" mix and a six-track version for a limited run of 70mm prints in select countries (Japan and some venues in the UK). This mix was made from the M/D/E stems & soundtrack recordings, and sounds very active and aggressive compared to the 3-channel stereo and mono. Apparently most video releases from the late 80s used the DS remix while the 1990s LD and first 1999 DVD used the 70mm remix in DD 5.1.

For the 2003 Anniversary reissue runs and 2004 DVD master, another new mix was made in Dolby Digital 5.1. This mix is yet again based on the M/D/E stems and soundtrack recordings, but took it up several thousand notches by adding modern and out of place SFX to "make it more immersive to modern sensibilities". Well, stuff like firecrackers and explosions coming off an Arnie Schwarzenegger action flick takes you out of the immersion and cheapens the feel. The 7.1 is a further modification of this track with more NR of the OG stems and even more gimmicky SFX like doors slamming and loud "puffs" during the Chimney sequences.
Thanks given by: jolennon , NeonBible , Falcon
If anyone has the DVD editions of 98 and 99 ("widescreen" or "gold"), I would be interested in the sync on the Blu-Ray, thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
The 40th Anniversay DVD contains two separate stereo 2.0 tracks. One is the Home Theater Mix, which I assume is a fold down of the new 5.1 remix. The other is supposidly the original theatrical mix. But is it the mid-80s reissue as mentioned?
Thanks given by:
(2023-09-11, 08:20 PM)NeonBible Wrote: The 40th Anniversay DVD contains two separate stereo 2.0 tracks. One is the Home Theater Mix, which I assume is a fold down of the new 5.1 remix. The other is supposidly the original theatrical mix. But is it the mid-80s reissue as mentioned?

Which versions? AFAIK, the 2004 R1 and 2009 45th Ann releases only have one 5.1 track (Home Theater Mix) and one stereo track (believed to be the 3-channel mix as it was very narrow and hollow sounding) in addition to French and Latin American Spanish 5.1s.
Thanks given by:
Isn't the same stereo track on the DVD also on the Blu-ray? http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=25782
Thanks given by:
The 40th Anniversary DVD claims to have the "Original 2.0 Theatrical Mix".
The back cover doesn't even mention a home theater 2.0 mix, just the All-New 5.1 Disney En(HA)nced.

Just ask and I can provide.
Thanks given by:
(2023-09-12, 01:10 AM)SpaceBlackKnight Wrote: Which versions? AFAIK, the 2004 R1 and 2009 45th Ann releases only have one 5.1 track (Home Theater Mix) and one stereo track (believed to be the 3-channel mix as it was very narrow and hollow sounding) in addition to French and Latin American Spanish 5.1s.

Sorry for the delay. I just checked the 40th Anniversary DVD and can confirm there are two stereo tracks.

[Image: ecyDOFVl.png]

Would be good to know if its truely the original or from the later Dolby Stereo remix.
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing the enhanced 2.0 is a down mix of the 5.1, not a new, unique mix.
(2023-09-15, 07:54 PM)NeonBible Wrote:
(2023-09-12, 01:10 AM)SpaceBlackKnight Wrote: Which versions? AFAIK, the 2004 R1 and 2009 45th Ann releases only have one 5.1 track (Home Theater Mix) and one stereo track (believed to be the 3-channel mix as it was very narrow and hollow sounding) in addition to French and Latin American Spanish 5.1s.

Sorry for the delay. I just checked the 40th Anniversary DVD and can confirm there are two stereo tracks.

[Image: ecyDOFVl.png]

Would be good to know if its truely the original or from the later Dolby Stereo remix.
Thanks given by:
(2023-09-15, 07:57 PM)uVSthem Wrote: I'm guessing the enhanced 2.0 is a down mix of the 5.1, not a new, unique mix.

The DEHTM 2.0 sounds beefier than the DEHTM 5.1 but that could be how its downmixed as I only did a quick test on headphones. But I think its the same source mix.
Thanks given by: