Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASC Article on True Lies
Here's another ASC article with some interesting stuff on James Cameron's 'lucid night' approach to night photography and some other interesting insights.

link
Thanks given by: borisanddoris , alexpeden2000
I've seen the film in 70mm. It's an astonishing thing to see (and hear). I hope the UHD can live up to that sort of experience.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't. It looks to me JC didn't care about this film finition, so it's full of color and contrast/luminosity errors. Like all the shots of both Arnolds in the dark in the intro are too bright, until he shows his invitation, and then we're back on the old balance. The tango scene lost all it's colors, and the red are now orange. They never were orange, in the theaters or on any video support.
Thanks given by:
(2023-12-12, 09:37 PM)Stamper Wrote: It doesn't. It looks to me JC didn't care about this film finition, so it's full of color and contrast/luminosity errors. Like all the shots of both Arnolds in the dark in the intro are too bright, until he shows his invitation, and then we're back on the old balance. The tango scene lost all it's colors, and the red are now orange. They never were orange, in the theaters or on any video support.

We haven't seen the UHD yet, unless it's the Hulu rip that's floating around. If it is, yuck. It looks nothing like the print I saw.

EDIT: Nevermind, the digital streaming versions hit this week didn't they?
Thanks given by:
Yes, I had the Hulu already, and the streams are mostly the same, only cleaner.
That orange for red thing, which other people on other forums have noticed, is weird.
Thanks given by: LucasGodzilla
Cameron is just mental. Look at what Sony is doing with their 4K releases...that's the gold standard. Why go to so much trouble to artificially make things look like he does when...you don't have to?
Thanks given by:
The funny thing is Point Break UHD is the best Cameron recent release out there in this batch of remasters.
It's the only one he didn't messed with.
Thanks given by:
My only guess is that maybe they feel the need to scale/refine visual effects shots because they were done at a lower resolution when originally rendered. Hogwash. Just scan the negative at 4K plus the IP for the effect shots. There's no reason to tinker this much with films that were already incredible to look at upon release. He's reimagining the work like our pal George. Someone prominent needs to point this out.
Thanks given by: stwd4nder2
These are a new level of insanity and represent a terrible revisionist danger for films to face moving forward.
And to think Lucas had done American Graffiti and made it the worst UHD since T2…then Cameron rolls up and says hey wait a minute hold my beer…
Damn Fool Idealistic Crusader
Thanks given by: dvdmike
I'll take the beer.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASC Article - Interview with The Thing DP Dean Cundey zoidberg 1 314 2023-12-12, 07:53 PM
Last Post: maksnew
  ASC Article on Super 35mm zoidberg 1 310 2023-12-12, 06:31 PM
Last Post: PDB
  Article on videotapes decay and preservation Evit 7 7,016 2017-08-29, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Evit