Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PAL to NTSC
Hi there,

Was hoping someone can help. I've got some PAL DVD commentaries ripped to mka files that I would like to convert to NTSC speed so that they match the blu-rays.

Is there a simple (and ideally free!) program that would do?

Many thanks

Alex
Thanks given by:
NTSC speed meaning 23,976 fps?

eac3to can do that, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to convert the files to .wav first.
Thanks given by: Jetrell Fo
(2015-09-06, 12:01 PM)Feallan Wrote: NTSC speed meaning 23,976 fps?

eac3to can do that, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to convert the files to .wav first.

Exactly - thanks for your help, will give it a try
Thanks given by:
You can also load the audio track into Audacity (free cross-platform software), use the "Change Speed" option under the "Effects" menu and use a value of "-4.096%" to slow down the PAL audio to a proper NTSC speed, with the pitch correction being done automatically. Then export to any format (ac3, pcm, etc.) that meets your needs. If you don't want a pitch change, use the same value of "-4.096%" but using the "Change Tempo" option instead, also in the "Effects" menu.

The difference between this method and using eac3to, is that you can see the changes right away and adjust any potential timing/syncing issues all in one go before your "final" render. Hope this helpsWink
Thanks given by: alexpeden2000 , Jetrell Fo
eac3to infile.mka outfile.ac3 -XXX -slowdown -25.000

Where "XXX" is your bitrate in kilobytes (eg 224 or 448 whatever is close to the source).

Alternatively you can do a container slowdown. Open mkvtoolnix and load the video, add the audio track (at 25fps) and in the track properties for the PAL audio put 25/23.976 in the "stretch by" input box and mux. This will cause software to play back the audio at the NTSC speed (stretched by 104.27...%). May not be compatible with all devices.

EDIT TO ADD... Note that the "container method" may or may not change the pitch as determined by software - and probably will not change the pitch (for example you can use VLC to play files back at different rates by pressing [ or ] without changing audio pitch). So if you want it pitch correct you have to re-encode.
Thanks given by: Jetrell Fo
(2015-09-06, 01:59 PM)jerryshadoe Wrote: You can also load the audio track into Audacity (free cross-platform software), use the "Change Speed" option under the "Effects" menu and use a value of "-4.096%" to slow down the PAL audio to a proper NTSC speed, with the pitch correction being done automatically. Then export to any format (ac3, pcm, etc.) that meets your needs. If you don't want a pitch change, use the  same value of "-4.096%" but using the "Change Tempo" option instead, also in the "Effects" menu.

The difference between this method and using eac3to, is that you can see the changes right away and adjust any potential timing/syncing issues all in one go before your "final" render. Hope this helpsWink

This worked perfectly, many thanks!
Thanks given by:
Happy to help Smile
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing the PAL video rate would have to be changed as well?
Thanks given by:
The OP was asking about syncing PAL DVD commentary tracks to BD video, so I don't think there is a PAL video stream to contend with here.
Thanks given by:
(2015-10-29, 10:10 AM)jerryshadoe Wrote: The OP was asking about syncing PAL DVD commentary tracks to BD video, so I don't think there is a PAL video stream to contend with here.

If the video was PAL, how would you convert it to NTSC, if both audio and video needed to be changed?

Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting PAL to NTSC and making anamorphic captainsolo 10 2,917 2023-02-13, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Plissken1138