Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorize black & white video
I'm working on a Star Wars project, where there is few deleted scenes in black & white; I'd like to colorize them, and I'm aware that the only way to do it properly is to do it by hand, frame per frame - but I can't think to do it for thousand frames...

The alternative is to find an automatic way to do that for the whole clip - using, for example, ChromaJig avisynth filter, that is way less than perfect, even if it do something - or feed each frame as separate image to one of the online free colorization app - and even if this method is generally better than the previous, results are not very good in many cases...

Someone colorized a b&w video before? If so, how?
Thanks given by:
I remember a video about how they did the colorization on The Three Stooges. They just rotoscoped absolutely everything. There must be better ways these days. If you must, at least rotoscope with mask tracking (ie Mocha) to dramatically cut down on the effort it takes.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the explanation; but don't know if I'm able to follow that path, and, if so, if I will be patient enough! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Interestingly enough Legend3D started out as an effects house for colorization of black & white film, until they realised the process they had created to automate the masking/rotoscoping could be applied to stereographic conversion. The founder has a Ph.D in neuroscience I think, smart guy.
Thanks given by:
You might find this interesting. Smile
http://babelcolour.com/
Thanks given by:
He made a wonderful job, hand painting over 7000 frames for a Doctor Who episode... but I will never do something like that! Big Grin

I made few tests (again, not perfect results, but *maybe* watchable), colorizing each frame using three different free online demo apps; taking the three pictures and median them. Thousand times? NO WAY!

But, reading the article found following the link, I was inspired; what if I do like him, colorizing key frames (one every 20) and interpolate the others? The idea should work but, again, the colorization quality is not that good...
Thanks given by:
Agreed, every frame by hand is just... crazy. MAYBE you could get away, say, doing every other frame and interpolating the rest. Probably best in that case to lay the chroma from the interpolated on un-warped luma. I mean, if one were to even attempt roto, using Mocha is a must.

Now the math on that is looking a bit better. 50% less footage and track assisted mattes. Unless every other frame the color starts jumping like crazy and it looks like a three year old made them with crayons when daddy wasn't looking.

I don't even know. Like.... create colored sections for the background and track them to the B&W footage? There's got to be something we're missing.

EDIT:Now here's something interesting: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/Coloriz...ml#recolor

A frame of the B&W original. Then you do a duplicate set with lines drawn to indicate sections where the colors should be. Then through Matlab it calculates where the colors should end (as far as I understand from the quick read).
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'd love to see this process at least sped up, if not automated somehow. There's a few features that come to mind that could benefit from this kind of treatment, if it were done correctly.
Thanks given by:
Just found a tutorial on doom9 forum, to set up and run an automatic colorization software:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175314

Results seem promising, but I'm too lazy to actually do it myself... maybe some volunteer would give it a try, and post some examples of the results!
Thanks given by:
Interesting. I wonder if it's possible to adapt it if you already have parts of a scene in color, and want to colorize the rest.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] Remove text from video - Any new solutions? bendermac 1 787 2023-05-15, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  Trying to make video issues visible to average viewers captainsolo 9 2,042 2023-04-14, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  Streaming: Video/audio quality (bitrate) spoRv 2 1,435 2021-12-21, 08:34 PM
Last Post: spoRv
  [Help] Tool: Taking an Image and Searching Every Frame within a Video for that Image? alexp120 4 2,598 2021-06-01, 12:40 PM
Last Post: alexp120
  Green flashing in my video lionmane 3 2,158 2020-12-16, 11:06 PM
Last Post: lionmane
  HDTV BLACK LEVELS spoRv 2 1,975 2020-08-16, 09:40 AM
  Cinegy Cinescore - free benchmark for video production poita 54 34,425 2020-05-12, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sabbelbacke
  'Visiting Criterion Collection' Video/Interview zoidberg 2 2,929 2020-02-20, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  The White Point/The Green Tint zoidberg 11 10,349 2020-01-31, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  [Idea] "the ultimate video matching/deduplication solution" spoRv 0 1,795 2019-08-20, 12:03 PM