Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premiere and Expanding Frame.
Just started using Premiere and was hoping someone could help with a full how to (idiot's guide) on a short sequence (MIGP Burg window scene from the frame it goes fully Open Matte, Ethan looking down at the buildings) with which I would like to add an expanding frame from 2.35:1 (off center so bars are slightly different top and bottom as the framing on the Open Matte source is slightly higher) to Open Matte over a duration of 2 / 3 seconds.

Now I get how to add a crop top and bottom (transform and crop and then add percentages) but can't work out how to get it to expand to Open Matte over a set duration. I have looked at a youtube video and it mentions nesting the sequence but even after nesting the full scene (again can't work out how to nest only a set section) I still can't work out how to get the bars to expand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
You have to enable keyframes if you haven't already done so.
Thanks given by:
I haven't done that yet, could you please elaborate, as said, my understanding of this program at this point is at idiot level.

Appreciate your help.

Edit: ok, managed to work out how to add keyframes and just rendering the expanding crop. Now got to get the exact framing dimensions of the scene it joins.
Thanks given by:
Next to each crop option (left,right,top,bottom) there should be a little clock. That's the 'toggle animation' button. Enabling that allows you to animate effects. To the right there should be a button called 'add/remove keyframe' which allows you to edit the animation if required. So for something like your sequence you would set up your initial widescreen crop at the start of the shot, set the keyframe at which you want to start the reveal and then select the frame at which you want the reveal to end, where you adjust the crop toggles to remove the bars. Making adjustments to effects will automatically generate the keyframe for you. When you playback the black bars will pull away smoothly. If you need to control the speed of the reveal (speed up, slow down) then you will need additional keyframes. Hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
What zoidberg said. Once keyframes are activated for a value, you can also add keyframes with the current value by clicking the small dot between the arrows (located between the displayed current value and the little timeline showing the keyframes). You can use the arrows themselves to jump from keyframe to keyframe, so you don't have to fiddle around trying to find the exact locations all over every time.
Thanks given by:
Thanks to you both. Now if someone can help explain how to mask a duplicate sub (Dubai location in MIGP) in Premiere that would be great. It is in an unchanged blue sky so could use a mask from the frames before to cover it but need to know how. The title duplicate I would need an Open Matte clip from the hdtv to mask it if anyone can help.

Any help again greatly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Just overlay the Blu Ray over the Open Matte (put it in a video track above the Open Matte) and then use a mask to replace only that part. In older Premiere versions there was an effect called "4-point key mask" or sth like that, under "Keying". In newer ones, there is already a "Mask" or "Masks" (sth like that) area in the Effect Controls for each clip. You can either hand-draw the mask with the "pen tool" in that area or you just make a rectangular one with the rectangle tool. Once you select the tool you go into the preview to draw the mask. You can also set a "Feather" on each mask you make, to make the transition between the two sources less apparent. If the colors are identical, this should work pretty flawlessly. Of course you need to also make sure the positioning of the two sources to each other is perfect.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-19, 01:37 AM)TomArrow Wrote: Just overlay the Blu Ray over the Open Matte (put it in a video track above the Open Matte) and then use a mask to replace only that part. In older Premiere versions there was an effect called "4-point key mask" or sth like that, under "Keying". In newer ones, there is already a "Mask" or "Masks" (sth like that) area in the Effect Controls for each clip. You can either hand-draw the mask with the "pen tool" in that area or you just make a rectangular one with the rectangle tool. Once you select the tool you go into the preview to draw the mask. You can also set a "Feather" on each mask you make, to make the transition between the two sources less apparent. If the colors are identical, this should work pretty flawlessly. Of course you need to also make sure the positioning of the two sources to each other is perfect.

Thanks for the help but that all sounds a little over my expertise at this stage, hopefully I can find someone who would be willing to help out with just these two clips so I can get them perfect.
Thanks given by:
TomArrow, decided to try and do the masking as per instructions above. Have put the main source under v1 and the masking video under 2, have gone to keying but there are numerous different masks there (Premiere 2018), which one is it, tried image one and put the rectangle box around Dubai duplicate sub and resized but how do I add the second source to that mask box. Also tried the track mask and added video 2 under the options section and added the rectangle and re-sized but nothing appears in the mask box outside of what is on the source video. Am I choosing the correct masks or is it one of the other ones and how do I add the second video to the masking box.

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Not sure what exactly you mean by "main source". The Blu Ray? And what is a "masking video"?

So, assuming v1 is the first video track and v2 is the second one (above the first one), you put the Open Matte on the first track (the lower one), then the Blu Ray above on track 2. Now for purposes of aligning it will be helpful if you first reduce the opacity of the Blu Ray to 50%. Now you can move it around to be positioned exactly as the Open Matte, for a perfect overlay. When that is done, put Opacity back to 100%. Now apply a mask to the Blu Ray on track 2, where the Blu Ray titles are supposed to appear instead of the doubled Open Matte titles. The one where you put a rectangle is the correct one, if we're talking the same. Premiere 2018 is Premiere CC correct? Then you should have the mask functionality directly in the "Opacity" settings of each clip, no need to search in effects.

Hope that makes it a little clearer.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] Tool: Taking an Image and Searching Every Frame within a Video for that Image? alexp120 4 2,688 2021-06-01, 12:40 PM
Last Post: alexp120
  X264 Encoder missing one frame X5gb 0 2,218 2018-03-21, 09:22 AM
Last Post: X5gb