Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Released) Dead Presidents Criterion Laserdisc Restoration
Photo 
Hi All,

So I've done a few blu ray projects and have a lot more planned. One I am currently doing the planning work on is a Dead Presidents Criterion Laserdisc restoration. I have a 1080P HDTV file together with the DVD and a capture of the Criterion Laserdisc plus all the extra features. 

I'm fine with syncing up the audio and building the blu ray menu, but something I have never played about with is color. I've attached screenshots for all three versions, if your expert opinions would you change the color of the HDTV recording at all? The DVD seems a little off to my eyes, the HDTV is more in line with the laserdisc just a little brighter. 

If the consensus is the color should be changed what is the best way to do it? I've read about using Dr Dre's Color Matching Tool to create a 3D LUT and then loading this into after affects - is that the best way?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

HDTV:

[Image: ngnAHCD.png]

Laserdisc:

[Image: KdpNoEr.png]

DVD:

[Image: QLQtVBs.png]

HDTV:

[Image: 7LrEPx8.png]

Laserdisc:

[Image: hY80Jee.png]

DVD:

[Image: BHKsMFg.png]

HDTV:

[Image: DKvTebG.png]

Laserdisc:

[Image: CWKNGUR.png]

DVD:

[Image: NFN0Hni.png]
Thanks given by: oh_riginal , Kreeper
Hi alleycat. Welcome to fanres. Been a long time since I’ve seen Dead Presidents but I would love to look at your final project when you are done.

You are right, using Dre’s tool and applying those luts in after effects, premiere, resolve or final cut is going to be your easiest and probably most accurate solution.

Good luck with your project
Thanks given by:
Thank PDB. What would you use as the reference for dr Dre? The dvd or the laserdisc? I read that dr Dre can struggle with lower quality images and the laserdisc is the lowest of the three.

Also I have the choice of premiere or resolve, does one tend to produce better results than the other or are they pretty similar? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Never saw the film in the cinema but the LD seems to have the most 'filmic' colours
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 09:58 AM)alexpeden2000 Wrote: Never saw the film in the cinema but the LD seems to have the most 'filmic' colours
Yes that was what I was thinking, and I guess out of the three Criterion would be the ones putting the most effort into the transfer. Right I will play around with the dr dre tool and see how it goes. Cheers
Thanks given by:
Looking good so far. 

HDTV Before:

[Image: ogbSMR5.png]

HDTV After:

[Image: IjGAdFw.png]
Thanks given by:
IMHO HDTV has the "usual magenta blanket" seen in many masters... you can try to correct it using Resolve; try out a single setting with the worst offender shot - like the one in the previous post, or the bridge and sky ones; checking shots throughout all the movie will tell you if a single setting will do.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 07:45 AM)alleycat Wrote: Thank PDB. What would you use as the reference for dr Dre? The dvd or the laserdisc? I read that dr Dre can struggle with lower quality images and the laserdisc is the lowest of the three.

Also I have the choice of premiere or resolve, does one tend to produce better results than the other or are they pretty similar? Thanks

I'd use the DVD. The LD and DVDs are probably the same transfer and LD's often require a little tweaking to the black levels and saturation in line.

As for what software, that's up to you. Personally, I would use AP since you aren't doing heavy color correction, just applying LUTs. And AP would be faster at that work. Resolve is free though...

Results should be the same regardless of the program used.
Thanks given by:
One other question, the HDTV file comes with E-AC-3 aka Dolby Digital Plus - I've never really used this before but it seems a lot of HDTV recordings have it. What is the general consensus on this - would you use that for the project or convert it to something else? As I understand blu ray players are not guaranteed to support it?
Thanks given by:
I think almost every BD player has EAC-3 compatibility at this point, even if it's not part of the normal BD spec (unless manufacture are cheaping out recently). Pretty much every receiver made in the last 15 years will support it, pretty much every TV in the last decade will also (for streaming from say Amazon as an example). I've used it for projects before without complaints. Compatibility-wise, I think you would be ok with leaving it as EAC-3.

It's just more what you feel comfortable with. If you have doubt change it to PCM (or DTS-HD MA if you have the software) as converting it to regular AC-3 or DTS will remove any gains in fidelity that it might have.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moonwalker (1988 Michael Jackson movie), Film Whisperer HD restoration (2023 update) The Film Whisperer 11 3,816 2024-02-23, 02:19 PM
Last Post: fanislive
  The Protector (威龍猛探) [1985]--Japanese version Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 0 229 2024-01-09, 03:40 AM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  Fist of Legend (精武英雄), Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 7 2,315 2024-01-09, 01:47 AM
  "Kill Bill", single-film version, Film Whisperer restoration (UPDATE) The Film Whisperer 2 582 2023-11-21, 12:06 AM
  [Released] The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Disney Mini Classics HD Restoration stwd4nder2 12 1,736 2023-11-03, 09:50 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2
  [Released] Taxi Driver Criterion Preservation alleycat 9 4,478 2023-05-24, 03:27 PM
Last Post: xwmario
Video [Released] [metahades] Akira (亚基拉) (Laser-Video Entertainment Hong Kong Laserdisc) [LVMW 0149] metahades 0 614 2023-02-16, 11:33 PM
Last Post: metahades
  [Released] Armageddon Criterion Preservation alleycat 0 800 2023-01-10, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  [Released] Dirty Harry 5 - The Dead Pool - in scope format Stamper 19 5,986 2022-10-24, 01:06 PM
Last Post: wongfeihung
  Blade Runner International Cut Regrade (Criterion Collection Laserdisc) PDB 44 53,035 2022-09-03, 07:07 AM
Last Post: BDgeek