Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VHS Upscalers
Just wondering if anyone uses one of these for watching VHS through an HDTV?

I've tried watching videos via Scart on a 2017 Sony TV compared to 2007 Samsung of a similar size and the quality seems much poorer. Same VHS player being used. I read that modern HDTV's don't do as good a job of upscaling the Scart socket as in the past.

Was looking at getting something like this to see if it improves things:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A...3DX4&psc=1

Don't have space for a CRT!
Thanks given by:
If you have a video capture card, give DScaler a go - free, and works quite well!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Sporv, will take a look. Ideally though I would like something that does not require a PC to be involved but could be an option.
Thanks given by:
Would an OSSC work? I know they are designed for retro consoles, but I imagine they'd work great for VHS too. They have scart input and HDMI out.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/prod...converter/

You could also look at some of the later VHS/ DVD combo machines. They have scart in and hdmi out.
Thanks given by:
A lot of LD collectors use DVD recorders as a pass-through, you will get better comb filtering and also TBC which helps VHS immensely. They can be picked up on ebay pretty cheaply, there is a thread on lddb about the best ones
Thanks given by:
Agree with zoidberg; DVD recorders are very cheap nowadays, and could be found for next to nothing or free, if the DVD player does not work!
I'd go with Panasonic, check lddb for further info. Also, you can take in account the Pioneer PDA-V100HD - could be a nice alternative, dunno about upscaling overall quality, though!
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 10:32 AM)Booshman Wrote: Would an OSSC work? I know they are designed for retro consoles, but I imagine they'd work great for VHS too. They have scart input and HDMI out.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/prod...converter/

You could also look at some of the later VHS/ DVD combo machines. They have scart in and hdmi out.

Yeah had a look at this one as well, it's not that more expensive than the Lindy one and has a lot more written about it (pretty much all positive as well.)
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 10:39 AM)zoidberg Wrote: A lot of LD collectors use DVD recorders as a pass-through, you will get better comb filtering and also TBC which helps VHS immensely. They can be picked up on ebay pretty cheaply, there is a thread on lddb about the best ones

TBC is something I've been reading about on a few other forums but still not really got my head round. My VHS player is a Panasonic from around 2000 and I'm pretty sure it won't have it. Does it improve playback or just captures?

I'd like to capture some of my VHS's (take up too much space!) - would something like this work well:

VHS Player to DVD Recorder (with TBC) to HDMI Capture Card?

How would you get the VHS Player to passthrough the DVD Recorder though? MThe ones I'm looking at on eBay don't seem to have any 'inputs' on the back.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 04:26 PM)alexpeden2000 Wrote:
(2019-08-18, 10:39 AM)zoidberg Wrote: A lot of LD collectors use DVD recorders as a pass-through, you will get better comb filtering and also TBC which helps VHS immensely. They can be picked up on ebay pretty cheaply, there is a thread on lddb about the best ones

TBC is something I've been reading about on a few other forums but still not really got my head round. My VHS player is a Panasonic from around 2000 and I'm pretty sure it won't have it. Does it improve playback or just captures?

I'd like to capture some of my VHS's (take up too much space!) - would something like this work well:

VHS Player to DVD Recorder (with TBC) to HDMI Capture Card?

How would you get the VHS Player to passthrough the DVD Recorder though? MThe ones I'm looking at on eBay don't seem to have any 'inputs' on the back.

TBC is mandatory to avoid "wobble" - it is present in almost all DVD recorders AFAIK (and in some - or many? - video capture cards).

Yes, a passthrough DVD recorder (VHS composite out -> DVD recorder composite in -> DVD recorder S-Video/component/HDMI video out) will work and improve VHS capture or vision.

Note: some DVD recorders have only an audio/video input on the front - or through SCART socket.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-18, 05:01 PM)spoRv Wrote: TBC is mandatory to avoid "wobble" - it is present in almost all DVD recorders AFAIK (and in some - or many? - video capture cards).

Yes, a passthrough DVD recorder (VHS composite out -> DVD recorder composite in -> DVD recorder S-Video/component/HDMI video out) will work and improve VHS capture or vision.

Note: some DVD recorders have only an audio/video input on the front - or through SCART socket.

So TBC would improve playback & captures then by the sound of it?

I've found a Sony DVD Recorder on eBay with component inputs on the front. Scart output only but I guess that's where an upscaler like the OSSC could come in?
Thanks given by: