Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Comparisons
I didn't know where to put it, so I place it here...

This thread is about audio comparisons for a movie with various audio sources.

Lets start with Spaceballs... The movie received a new master on Amazon Prime and it looks really good. Probably from a new 4K scan. The LD & BD audio sync up nicely with just a delay of -1001ms

I watched the movie with the LD PCM and I don't like it. The voices are bleeding onto all channels and it's very irritating. At first I thought my Dolby processor screwed up, but the 2.0 from the BD doesn't have this problem. The BD 5.1 sounds good, though it's mixed the loudest. The Dolby+ from the WEB-DL sounds similar to the 2.0 from the BD. Much better balanced. All in all I recommend the BD 5.1 and also keep the 2.0 from the BD. Forget the LD PCM due to the bleeding into the surrounds. If it hadn't this problems, I'd give it the recommended audio track.

And here are the comparisons. The BD 5.1 looks like a different movie, but it was the correct file.

LaserDisc 2.0 PCM
[Image: NTMZjyC.jpeg]

WEB-DL Dolby+ 5.1
[Image: q3Rqr8D.jpeg]

Blu-ray Dolby 2.0
[Image: mkOyfsc.jpeg]

Blu-ray DTS-HD MA 5.1
[Image: e2orvLK.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Hint: would be nice to post the images on framecompare.com (up to 6 images), so to get an instant comparison between them! Wink
Thanks given by:
An American Werewolf in London - Mono Mix -> LaserDisc (Pioneer) vs Blu-ray (Arrow)

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compar...n/DW6P7NNX

[Image: QXwMT8z.jpg]
[Image: IMPJvWS.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(2019-11-02, 10:44 AM)bendermac Wrote: An American Werewolf in London - Mono Mix -> LaserDisc (Pioneer) vs Blu-ray (Arrow)

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compar...n/DW6P7NNX

Curious, what's your interpretation of the differences in this case? Typically the Blu Rays tend to be the denoised ones with frizzled out spectrograms, here it seems to be the opposite. Is the LD denoised or is the Blu Ray just too noisy?
Thanks given by:
The Omen (1976) - Mono Mix -> LaserDisc (20th Century Fox) vs. Blu-ray (Shout Factory) vs. Blu-ray (US Fox)

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compar...n/D6YKGNNX

Please note that LD graph still has the opening logos, the side change, the trailer and color bars included. But this shouldn't be a problem.

[Image: qQi9DMY.jpg]

[Image: HkNGwky.jpg]

[Image: qsuakDh.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow. There are many casualties in the loudness wars.

It also looks like many lossless mixes might simply be dynamic range compression sounding louder than lossy mixes.

Considering blind testing shows few people can actually tell lossless from good quality lossy, it makes sense.
Thanks given by:
In regards to Spaceballs, if the 5.1 mix on the streaming versions (ITunes/Amazon 4k master and 1080p version using the BD master) is like recent HDTV airings, it probably has a song swapped out at the end when Lone Star and Barf enter the Space Diner and is pitched too low like the BD and 2005 DVD (Itunes rental has the 5.1 mix pitched too low but the 2.0 was fine). The 2000 non-anamorphic DVD is not only in the correct pitch and unaltered, but is also said to be based on the 70mm six track mix.
Thanks given by:
(2020-01-12, 09:50 AM)SpaceBlackKnight Wrote: In regards to Spaceballs, if the 5.1 mix on the streaming versions (ITunes/Amazon 4k master and 1080p version using the BD master) is like recent HDTV airings, it probably has a song swapped out at the end when Lone Star and Barf enter the Space Diner and is pitched too low like the BD and 2005 DVD (Itunes rental has the 5.1 mix pitched too low but the 2.0 was fine). The 2000 non-anamorphic DVD is not only in the correct pitch and unaltered, but is also said to be based on the 70mm six track mix.

Is the LD mix correct pitch and unaltered? Would the DVD track be preferable due to having discrete channels?
Thanks given by:
As the LD is believed to use the theatrical Dolby LRCS mix, which the initial vhs i saw long ago also probably used, theyre both in the correct pitch. The pitch issue didnt start until the 2005 dvd (most likely due to a slopply back conversion if the 5.1 remix was sped up and pitch corrected for a 25fps master) and the music alteration near the end is on recent HDTV airings, and there was chatter somewhere on bd.com that the streaming versions has the same change on the faulty 5.1 tracks.
Thanks given by:
Pal is a disease. You also have crazy stuff happening like some italian westerns are dubbed for DVD in the 00's, but in Pal speed. When slowed down, either the music or the voices end up in the wrong pitch, with no way to correct it.
Thanks given by: pipefan413

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How was matrixed audio mixed? stwd4nder2 20 6,754 2021-08-24, 04:48 PM
Last Post: spoRv
  [poll] audio setup spoRv 14 5,985 2020-11-16, 03:37 PM
Last Post: alexpeden2000
  Lossless vs lossy audio - this tool says I can tell a difference deleted user 10 9,661 2018-01-26, 05:24 PM
Last Post: deleted user