Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Released] Superman IV
The project I'm working on is a recolur of Superman 4. I haven't been trying to match the DVD colour timing, but to make the colours more favourable than the bluray. The suit looks very green in a lot of shots, and the skin tones orange. The whole film is just a bit too overly vivd for my liking. Unfortunately I noticed that through my effots to change the suit back to blue, this has affected other green objects on the frame. My thinking now has been that if I can get the bluray to look somwhat like the DVD colours, where the suit is consistently blue, I can then colour correct from there and avoiid the issues I'm having with the green.

I ran a few clips with mixed results. Here's some comparison pictures.

BLURAY
[Image: tZ8FqOA.png]

DVD
[Image: 2laRB54.png]

MERGED with avisynth
[Image: 9tj9FoD.png]

Corrected in  After Effects
[Image: 8GXY0Uo.png]

BLURAY
[Image: PMYh4Gr.png]

DVD
[Image: 7qLlf5A.png]

MERGED with avisynth
[Image: 9jELtuw.png]

[Image: YdUMRLS.png]

BLURAY
[Image: LefCawk.png]

DVD
[Image: 9weWw7g.png]

MERGED with avisynth
[Image: BZX8J2o.png]

[Image: 6rQzh9g.png]

BLURAY
[Image: 1EILNQV.png]

DVD
[Image: lTIG6se.png]

MERGED with avisynth
[Image: ylx6HM7.png]

[Image: CURXGOx.png]

BLURAY
[Image: QlhJzv6.png]

DVD
[Image: dXbHcLD.png]

MERGED with avisynth
[Image: DAv1TME.png]

[Image: Nxx4h4o.png]
Thanks given by: BDgeek , Inq81
Wow both the DVD and the Blu-ray looks off. (the DVD looks like there is grey layer over the picture) but your fixes looks great.
Thanks given by:
(2015-05-24, 12:40 PM)Stamper Wrote: Wow both the DVD and the Blu-ray looks off. (the DVD looks like there is grey layer over the picture) but your fixes looks great.

I think I may just go with my own CC. For all of the effort it will take to do a colour merge or a colour match, getting the sources ligned up and whatnot, it may not be worth it. I think I'll just rotoscope Superman in the scenes where I'm having to compromise on the colouring due to there being lots of other green in the picture. The double date scene for example, has Superman in a green room, next to a green pool, on a green chair, with a woman in a green outfit, surrounded by green plants. All of these things start get get a bit blue when you mess with his unfortunately green uniform. Sad

Here's an example of what I mean.

BLURAY
[Image: QxAiyRU.png]

DVD
[Image: FU4ytlz.png]

COLOUR CORRECTED (The outfit and pool have turned blue with the CC to Superman's costume)
[Image: tpbf1hH.png]

COLOUR CORRECTED WITH ROTOSCOPING
[Image: jHuHU85.png]
Thanks given by:
Here's a look at the two deleted scenes almost completely finished other than a few touch ups I need to do, the raw LD footage is playing in the corner for comparison.

https://vimeo.com/130286689
https://vimeo.com/130286690

May thanks to Andrea who has helped out a lot with the avisynth scrip to sort this footage out.

here's the script if any of it may be useful to others:

Code:
avisource("scene1.avi")                             #open source
AssumeTFF()                                         #assume top field first
QTGMC.SelectEven                                    #fix the interlacing
tdecimate                                           #IVTC
crop(8,78,-10,-94)                                  #crop out black borders
Overlay(GreyScale(last), last, X=-4, mode="chroma") #shift chroma layer to the left
converttoyv12                                       #convert to yv12
removedirtmc(30)                                    #removes dirt
eedi2.turnleft.eedi2.turnright                      #removes jagged lines
sincresize(1920,816)                                #upscale
Thanks given by:
Happy to have contributed to your project!
Thanks given by:
I have completed the bluray in Encore and although I'm having troubles getting the popup menu to work, the rest of the structure is sound. I have dropped the PCM audio as just doesn't want to sync up with the bluray. In some places there are gaps of 7 frames just to keep it in, and I don't know what to do to fill them without it sounding crappy.

I have re synced the English subs, and added in the new ones needed for the LD footage. Is there any desire for more subs from the good folk here? I will never use them myself, but if there is demand I don't mind adding them.
Thanks given by:
Italian subs, please! Wink

About PCM synch: it happens (almost) all the time... there are missing/added frames, in particular around reel changes; usually, it's possible to just add blank audio snippets where the frames are missing, if the music/dialog don't suffer too much... one or two blank "audio" frames usually are not very noticeable, in particular around reel changes.

Or, you could always fill the gaps using DVD or BD track...
Thanks given by:
(2015-06-26, 09:37 AM)spoRv Wrote: Italian subs, please! Wink

About PCM synch: it happens (almost) all the time... there are missing/added frames, in particular around reel changes; usually, it's possible to just add blank audio snippets where the frames are missing, if the music/dialog don't suffer too much... one or two blank "audio" frames usually are not very noticeable, in particular around reel changes.

Or, you could always fill the gaps using DVD or BD track...

I've gotten the italian subs in sync, but I have no way of knowing if there are typos, and there are a few added lines of dialogue that need translation. Can I send the srt file to you to give it the once over?
Thanks given by:
Yep! Send it along English subs, please!
Thanks given by:
(2015-06-28, 12:58 PM)spoRv Wrote: Yep! Send it along English subs, please!

Subs sent!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Released] Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (Ultimate Edition) | Digital IMAX | 1.90:1 interaser 355 150,215 2022-07-18, 11:37 PM
Last Post: MoviesGamesMusic
  Superman 2 & 3 recoloured Booshman 8 8,956 2020-10-04, 12:41 PM
Last Post: castleaco
  Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice [Ultimate Fan Edit] schizopolis23 0 1,867 2020-05-05, 12:35 AM
Last Post: schizopolis23