Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[No Longer Available] Die Hard 2 UHD Downconvert and Regrade (Quick Project)
[Image: jGQKVwz.png]

Die Hard 2 UHD Downconvert and Regrade (Quick Project v1.0)

Project Info

Are you ready to watch the best action film set at Christmas with the words Die Hard in the title? That would be the original Die Hard. Watch that (maybe Zoid's project?). But after that, if you have the time, watch Die Hard 2.

Previously I had toyed with a DH2 project in this thread:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-1711.html

but I was never satisfied with the results that I came up with. Especially after figuring out the 35mm trailer didn't look like the 35mm prints. After giving up on that 35mm project I still wanted to revisit this movie. Fast forward to the UHD Web-DL (thanks X5) release which as near as I can tell is closer to what theatrical prints (using the info I gathered from the 35mm project) looked like then the BD. So considered this the replacement for that 35mm project.

This project is a simple effort to converted the UHD to 1080p/SDR and color grade the results to the 35mm examples I have (little more orange in the mids, more green/blue in the highs). It also comes with a few minor tweaks: I matted out one instance of a hard subs and put the English hard subs for the Spanish language section back in the video.

After that I merged the audio track from my 35mm project: the Japanese LD's PCM (thanks Zoidberg), US THX LD's PCM 2.0, the DVD's Dolby Digital 5.1 and the BD soundtracks to the resulting video.

Video:
The web-DL/UHD/HDR video release converted to 1080p/SDR and color graded

Audio: (Tentative)
1. PCM 2.0 (from the THX LD)
2. PCM 2.0 (from the Japanese P&S LD)
3. Dolby Digital 2.0 (from the US BD)
4. DTS-HD MA 5.1 (from the US BD)
5. Dolby Digital 2.0 Commentary

Pics:

CC'd UHD
[Image: 8ObRknL.jpg]

Versus the BD
https://i.imgur.com/9wtD97S.png
https://i.imgur.com/KCjaEzN.png

Subs:
1. English (from the US BD)

Sync:
This project is synced to the US (and international) BD. Since the BD uses an incorrect, longer, more modern 20th Century Fox logo there is a moment of black in the beginning of the video.

Collaborators (in order of help):
Bigrob: for project idea
Zoidberg: for capping the JPN P&S LD and PCM 2.0
X5gb: for material help
Doombot: for help
Ooooooooo can't wait!!!
Thanks given by: PDB
Some follow up notes.

I dumped the THX DVD's 5.1. I was hoping it was something unique but when comparing it to the BD's 5.1, I found them similar enough to just dump it.

I was finally able to sync the Japanese P&S LD's PCM 2.0. It was the hardest sync job I ever had to do. Side 1 of the LD had ~140 edits to get it in sync. The rest of the sides took 90 edits. For comparison the THX LD's PCM 2.0 took 4 edits and that was only because I was being fastidious. In reality a delay might of been the only thing needed. Not sure why the JPN LD was that way. It's not some kind of PAL to NTSC job, the edits were too random with a few mins of ok sync followed by re-sync being needed every 30 seconds. Maybe a speed-up/time compress of some type so more information fit on side 1 of the disc? Not sure.

But I'm happy I did it. Thanks for sharing Zoidberg. The mixing on the JPN sounds different when compared to the THX. Not sure if it is an more "original" mix but there are marked differences which point me to believing to the THX is a ground up remix. The sounds are the same but you can really tell the THX is a different beast. It's most noticeable in the music. The THX has all its music very loud and up front in the mix. Running at the same level as dialogue and effects. The JPN has it's music pushed more towards the back of the mix. More ambient. The JPN also has certain effects pushed up in the mix that are buried in the THX. The only problem is the JPN has a bit of noise and is a little less dynamic. But that might be because the THX is sweetened? Again not sure.

As for the video, I'm rendering my AVI now. I took the UHD Web downconverted it to 1080p and graded the colors to be more orange in the mids and more green and blue in the highs, in keeping with the limited 35mm reel examples I have. I also punched up the exposure and shadows a bit to get more details out of the picture.

Finally, I was also fixing up Dr. Cooper's HDTV cap. His cap was of a HDTV master made from a theatrical print with all the signs like lines, dirt, damage and cue marks. It is missing a LOT of frames (and some shots) so it may not release the same time as the main project but since its color timing is radical different, I thought I should preserve it just in case. The HDTV's color timing is very cold and blue, which is in keeping with the look of my original 35mm project.

Never hurts to have an alternative version of a movie.
Thanks given by: applesandrice , zoidberg , nafroe
Sounds great so far PDB, glad my cap was of use.
Did anyone ever cap the original US LD (1850-85)? I wonder if it's PCM is similar to the JPN LD. My guess is that the earliest releases of Die Hard/Die Hard 2 contain the original Lt-Rt Dolby Stereo whereas the THX re-releases are based off the 6-track mixes.
Thanks given by: PDB
(2019-12-17, 01:19 AM)zoidberg Wrote: Sounds great so far PDB, glad my cap was of use.
Did anyone ever cap the original US LD (1850-85)? I wonder if it's PCM is similar to the JPN LD. My guess is that the earliest releases of Die Hard/Die Hard 2 contain the original Lt-Rt Dolby Stereo whereas the THX re-releases are based off the 6-track mixes.

Yeah thanks again Zoidberg

I really wanted to add the US widescreen’s PCM also. Especially since I suspect the THX is a remix. Not sure if it’s based on the 70mm like you think Zoid or a new home video remix. But there does seem to be two mixes. Not radically different like the DH1 mixes but still a different feel between the two.

I can say the BD 5.1 is for sure based on the same mix master as the THX LD. As is the THX DVD. They are sonically very similar (accounting for matrix vs discrete differences). I need to check the CE DVD and the DD 2.0 from the BD to see if it’s different or a mix-down.

I was going to get the widescreen LD at the time but ran out of cash so I went with THX assuming the Japanese LD has the same mix as the widescreen given they are roughly the same vintage. But you know what they say when you assume.
Thanks given by:
Ok I rushed this one to get it done before Christmas so people could download it in time if the want to watch it. Went skipping through it last night and it seems fine.

Here is what the final MKV looks like

[Image: 8ObRknL.jpg]

Uploading now. Participating members (aka no newbies) can PM me if they want a copy. Please allow me a day or two to get back to you. I'll keep it posted for a week or two.

Couple of notes. I kept the DD 2.0 from the BD as it wasn't a large file. Switching back and forth between the the 2.0s on the final MKV and they all sound a little different with the THX being the loudest and most aggressive when left at their native levels. I also left the commentary since it was a small, small hit to the file size.

Keeping with the sound talk. Unlike the THX LD, all the DVDs and the BD, this Web-DL has the correct 20th Century Fox logo. For those that don't know, DH2 in theaters had the same stretched 20th Century logo that DH1 had. It was later changed for most home video releases. For the Web-DL it has the correct logo but the logo just pops in and fades out, instead of fading in and out. On the BD, they used the new, longer, modern CGI logo. Since this release is synced to the BD, I left about 4 seconds of black frames in the beginning but let each soundtrack play out as it is. So for the BD track you here the modern CGI fanfare, for the THX the older fade in/out logo, etc.

Color wise I used the numerous 35mm examples I had from all over the film include several from one reel alone to create an universal grade. Like I said before this took the UHD's colors and pushed them more orange in the mids and green and blue in the highs. Its not super aggressive but enough to change the look of the Web. Some of that look might be because I'm looking at LPP examples and they tend to green. If anyone wants the native UHD convert to SDR without regrading, I might be able to do another version in the new year. But for right now I'm satisfied with the colors.

Nothing else about the video was changed, no grain added, no sharpening, no compression work, etc.

Like I said the project is synced to the US and I assume international BDs. So you should be able to add whatever subs and sounds you need. I included the English subs if you need timing to run off of.

I still am going to release a patched up version of Dr. Cooper's HDTV cap but that will be next year as I'm burned out.
---------------------------------
And that's it for the year. I really tried to push myself to get a lot of high quality projects out there. I wanted to see what limits I had in this hobby without it becoming work or a chore.

I really wanted to get 12 releases out, one theoretically for each month but that is just not going to happen. Fight Club is just taking longer to clean up then I like, but I started it and I want to finish it as polished as possible. I was hoping Zodiac would be 12 but I rather get the scenes I need in HD if possible. Do it right. I was hoping for Dragonslayer to take Zodiac's place but still have a few shots I want to tweak still...

I was also hoping to finish long standing projects this year like Road Warrior, Blade Runner and the WOWOW Aliens. But a hard drive crash conspired against wiping out all my intermediary files. Basically years of work. Luckily I had backups of my Premier and AVIsynth scripts. It just took half a year to rebuild all the needed files.

Also I'd like to say that I'm really happy to be a member of this community going on 5+ years. Lots of good, helpful people here. I always like to credit the people who helped me because those people take a good project and always make it better with their thoughts, expertise, materials, solutions, etc. In particularity and in no order I'd like to thank a few that went above and beyond with their help.

Doombot: for help finding "odds and ends", tons of advice/ideas, always being a test guinea pig and in general being a partner in crime on many of my projects whether he liked it or not.
x5GB: who has really gone far out of his way to help me find the video(s) I need for many of these projects. Top Gun and Big Trouble turned out much better with him helping me find better sources.
Zoidberg: for becoming a great source and help with LD soundtracks. Particularly liberating the legendary Top Gun 70mm mix for my TG project.
bronan: for his sync efforts on Dawn (may have to regrade that to the LD this year) and help getting me started on Conan. Not sure I would have finished Dawn without his help.
spoRv: I've become a convert to his YAO subs for open matte and he was nice and patience enough to generate them for several current and future projects.
MrBrown: who actually shipped me materials over vast distances for a project, going way, way out of his way. Sadly the project is being rebuilt after the HDD crash but it will get there.
and last but far from least Chewtobacca: who has also help with finding "odds and ends" and more esoteric objects for projects. But also a LOT technical advice.

Also anyone who offered good cheer (apples, Tom, Colek, Stamper, Rob, Falcon, Lucas, CSch, captain, nafroe, Jonno, etc) in threads or PMs. Thanks all.
---------------------------------
Releases for 2019

1. Top Gun Open Matte (Quick Project v3.0)
2. Alien 1999 HDTV Master (Quick Project v1.0)
3. The Fellowship of the Ring Variable Aspect Ratio (Original TC Colors v1.0A)
4. The Fellowship of the Ring Variable Aspect Ratio (Color Corrected v1.0B)
5. Dawn of the Dead Regrade (35 Project #3 v1.13)
6. Conan The Barbarian Theatrical Cut (Quick Project v1.0)
7. The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix (v1.1)
8. Big Trouble in Little China Video Fix (Quick Project v2.0)
9. Quantum Of Solace Open Matte (v1.0)
10. The Ring Original DVD/DVHS Colors (Quick Project v1.0)
11. Die Hard 2 UHD Downconvert and Regrade (Quick Project v1.0)

Releases for 2018

1. Predator (Itunes Master v1.2)
2. Flash Gordon Regrade (Widescreen Laserdisc v1.0 and V1.1)
3. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Regrade to DVD-LD v1.4)
4. Die Hard With A Vengeance 35mm Regrade (35 Project #2 v1.2)
5. Tombstone Director's Cut HD + SD Upscaled (Quick Project v1.0)
Thanks given by: X5gb , applesandrice , nafroe , Booshman , Feallan
To everyone who sent me a PM, the upload I setup with Mega didn't decompress correctly and Mega is just being a pain in general. I'm uploading again and hope to give out links in a few hours. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks given by: applesandrice , Stamper
Started watching and am enjoying it so far!

I feel like it could have used a little bit more contrast and saturation, but otherwise it's great.

Also I noticed some banding issues in this scene:
[Image: 3BAAXsVF_t.png]

Was wondering if this is inherent to the source or maybe if you didn't utilize the full bit depth of the HDR material. No biggie though, so far I've only noticed it in this scene. It's after he tells the guy at the airport that he looks familiar.
Thanks given by:
I’ll take a look at the shot when I can and see if it is the original but I assume it’s most likely in the conversion to bd compatible1080p/8 bit
Thanks given by:
(2019-12-23, 07:52 AM)TomArrow Wrote: Started watching and am enjoying it so far!

I feel like it could have used a little bit more contrast and saturation, but otherwise it's great.

Also I noticed some banding issues in this scene:
[Image: 3BAAXsVF_t.png]

Was wondering if this is inherent to the source or maybe if you didn't utilize the full bit depth of the HDR material. No biggie though, so far I've only noticed it in this scene. It's after he tells the guy at the airport that he looks familiar.
That is streaming media for you
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Longer Version HD Recreation TheLoon 84 31,107 2024-04-13, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [No Longer Available] The Ring Original DVD/DVHS Colors (Quick Project) PDB 18 5,340 2024-04-09, 09:18 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Archived] Aliens (1986) [Project: Celluloid — Branching Regrade] LucasGodzilla 9 3,462 2024-02-08, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Released] Hard Rain Special Edition alleycat 3 327 2024-02-05, 04:44 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [No Longer Available] The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix PDB 27 12,324 2024-01-13, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Released] (No longer available) Batman 1989 35mmized deleted user 15 9,862 2023-12-31, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jedihunter92
  [Released] HALLOWEEN: Evil Waits (2013 regrade with new prologue and original mono audio) pipefan413 20 6,673 2023-12-05, 11:31 PM
Last Post: alexpeden2000
  [No longer available] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Preservation HippieDalek 29 14,236 2023-10-06, 11:51 AM
Last Post: HDprojects+Restore89
  Hong Kong Rescue #1: Hard Boiled jrodefeld 28 16,485 2023-09-05, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Mikezilla3k
  [No Longer Available] Dragonslayer (Video Fix and Color Correction) PDB 42 30,446 2023-04-19, 10:18 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2