Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Released] Highlander II - 35mm Grindhouse Edition
After months of discussion in this thread I'm finally able to release the entirely unrestored scan of a Russian Theatrical 35mm print of Highlander II: The Quickening!

This is the 100 minute European/International cut of the film, which is very different from both the US Theatrical Cut and the later Renegade Version, and features none of the CGI additions of the Special Edition. 

The MKV contains chapter points at the start of each reel, and both English stereo (from the Hong Kong laserdisc) and Russian mono (from the print) audio. Both are unrestored, so expect even the English laserdisc audio to sound a bit rougher than the restored English track I used on my Standard Definition preservation.

[Image: DACMB6l.jpg]

Time to set some expectations though. As you'll know if you followed the scanning thread, reel 1 of this print is what I would describe as "splicey". There was a lot of damage to the first reel resulting in many splices and jumps in the footage. I've synced the laserdisc audio to the spliced footage but it can make for a sometimes difficult viewing experience. However things significantly pick up once reel 2 starts (around 19 mins, when MacLeod goes to the bar). The other reels fair a lot better but there are still some (but far fewer) splices during the rest of the film, along with the usual scratches, dirt and occasional discolouration.

So this grindhouse presentation may be a little more "grindy" than others.

Despite the damage the colours and detail remain excellent throughout. In most comparisons I've made so far the detail of the print usually outdoes the detail available on the Blu Ray, and of course this offers the original theatrical colours.

I plan to use this scan, combined with the Blu Ray and other sources, to attempt to re-create the film in full HD. However as you'll see from this scan there is a long way to go.

For now I hope you enjoy, and please let me know if you have any feedback Smile

Thank you to everyone who made this project possible! This would not have happened without you.

PM me for links.
Program material is recorded on the other side of this disc...
Photo 
Zeisthouse.
Amazing work
Thanks given by: HippieDalek
Enjoyed watching this HD. The colors on this print were so much more appealing then any of the home video releases. Thanks for all the hard work.
(2020-05-31, 03:28 PM)PDB Wrote: Enjoyed watching this HD. The colors on this print were so much more appealing then any of the home video releases. Thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks for your kind words, PDB.

The colours really are something on this print. On home video they completely re-graded the film for the Renegade Version to give it a blanket red tint to closer match the shield. Annoyingly much of this red tint still survives in the Blu Ray despite the fact that the shield has now been changed to blue to closer match the original lighting...which has now been tinted red! 

The worst offender is the graveyard scene on the Blu Ray, which I suspect has been now been re-graded so many times that what few colours remain just look so unnatural.

[Image: 2EKysja.png]

As I attempt to patch up the 35mm print with other sources including the Blu Ray I suspect that I will become an expert at Dr. Dre's Colour Matching Tool!
Thanks given by: PDB , The Aluminum Falcon
Thanks for this release, HippieDalek. The print definitely looks great all things considered and, even in Grindhouse form, seems like the best way to watch Highlander 2.
I also finished watching. It really had this grindhouse feel, with all the dirt and jump cuts. It was fun Big Grin

As for the movie.... Oh boy, what a mess. This version has so many plot holes and missing stuff. But funny enough, I can't remember the Special Edition either. Nonetheless, this is a great preservation. Thanks a lot Smile
I'm glad you enjoyed it bendermac!

Highlander 2 is what I like to call a "disasterpiece". No matter how you edit it there will be massive plot holes and issues, but it can at least be a fun mess.

But if you really want to see plot holes you should check out the US Theatrical Cut which was put together by the film's Insurance Company and is edited entirely without logic. PM me if you want a link to that Smile
Thanks given by:
Wait, do you have a version of this Grindhouse release that follows the US cut? Which version did you send me?
Thanks given by:
(2020-06-01, 07:30 PM)Jrzag42 Wrote: Wait, do you have a version of this Grindhouse release that follows the US cut? Which version did you send me?

No, at the moment the Grindhouse release is just as is, which is the European Cut. I meant I could send him the Standard Definition preservation of the US Cut I did a while back.

I do plan to use this print to make a HD version of the US Cut too, but that'll have to wait until I've restored the EU version.
Thanks given by: Jrzag42

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Released] The Beach (2000) Special Edition alleycat 11 3,341 2024-03-19, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Daffy_Duck
  [Released] Halloween (1978): Extended Edition (Remastered) kidjupiter92 4 1,897 2024-02-25, 11:30 AM
Last Post: jedihunter92
  [Fan edit] H2R - Highlander II Rebuild. HippieDalek 10 698 2024-02-21, 09:56 PM
Last Post: HippieDalek
  [Released] Hard Rain Special Edition alleycat 3 238 2024-02-05, 04:44 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Released] Johnny Mnemonic Extended Edition alleycat 46 11,474 2024-02-05, 01:58 PM
Last Post: fanislive
  [Released] Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition - The Anti-DNR Fanedit iguanaclerk 3 440 2024-01-21, 02:01 PM
Last Post: HippieDalek
  Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition HD Recreation (Version 3 out now) iguanaclerk 122 69,010 2024-01-20, 09:44 AM
Last Post: iguanaclerk
Lightbulb [Released] Joker (2019) Alternate Extended Edition Fan Edit freetheworld 19 8,233 2024-01-16, 05:56 AM
Last Post: babda96
  [No longer available] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Preservation HippieDalek 29 13,836 2023-10-06, 11:51 AM
Last Post: HDprojects+Restore89
  [Released] Proof Of Life Special Edition alleycat 8 2,435 2023-07-10, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Red41804