Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[versions] Die Hard - D-Theater transfer?
Was this release based on the 2001 DVD transfer or the first BD? Can't find any info on this one. Someone said there was a rip of it somewhere but got lost to dead seeders and such.

OTOH, I was told the extremely rare D-Theater tape of Speed is the 2006 BD transfer so INS if DH is the same or a unique transfer like Alien DC.
Thanks given by:
(2023-11-28, 07:56 AM)SpaceBlackKnight Wrote: Was this release based on the 2001 DVD transfer or the first BD? Can't find any info on this one. Someone said there was a rip of it somewhere but got lost to dead seeders and such.

OTOH, I was told the extremely rare D-Theater tape of Speed is the 2006 BD transfer so INS if DH is the same or a unique transfer like Alien DC.

Now I'm curious about Die Hard also.
Thanks given by:
I've always been curious about the Die Hard 1080i master but short of getting ahold of a D-VHS deck and a copy of the tape it's beyond our reach ATM. It's ironic that D-VHS became obsolete so quickly considering it's relatively new in the scheme of things. The only other format to be quite so obsolete is probably MUSE Hi-Vision but that was never not ultra niche
Thanks given by:
(2023-11-29, 12:40 AM)zoidberg Wrote: I've always been curious about the Die Hard 1080i master but short of getting ahold of a D-VHS deck and a copy of the tape it's beyond our reach ATM.

Well not totally beyond our reach.

[Image: 0tQTX3i.jpg]
[Image: eDLmq6V.jpg]

I just got my tape out of storage.

Not sure I can capture it. That would depend on my dvhs deck working (just dug it out), my capture card working (which I haven’t used in a few years) and the tape itself has to work. My Fight Club went bad for some reason with no visible damage.

I’m betting it’s the same master as the BD but hoping it’s special.
Thanks given by: SpaceBlackKnight , stwd4nder2
Awesome sauce PDB! Hope that D-VHS deck still works as these are getting rare and pricey (even moreso than the tiles, which aren't in as much demand due to most of them having better transfers elsewhere).

One quick easy way to tell between the transfers is the opening Fox logo.

If it looks like this

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-11-28-20h01m22s660.png]

It's the DVD transfer which should be HD native.

Otherwise if its off center like below it's the BD transfer

[Image: vlcsnap-2023-11-28-20h01m55s073.png]

Though there was a 3rd master (made inbetween the DVD and BD ones, probably intended for TV) that was only seen on PSP UMD. I was told it's very saturated/contrast boosted and had the 1990s CG logo replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrROqLomvw
Thanks given by: PDB
Wow PDB! It's a Christmas miracle.
PDB: Now I've got a DVHS deck. Ho. Ho. Ho.
Give me a day or two guys and I'll, at minimum (assuming it works), hook up the player and see what master/transfer it is.
Ok finally checked this out and I can add pics later but it’s definitely the squeezed 20th Century logo. So I assume the BD transfer.

Sorry guys.
So it's true that most of the D-Theater titles were based on masters later used for BD releases. I can confirm that Daredevil, Phone Booth, among several others are the same transfers as on BD. Even the Universal ones which some have received new masters for their eventual BD releases.

Of course True Lies' old HD transfer has made the rounds on streaming places as well as on the Spanish boot BD, plus it's finally coming to BD and UHD + Digital in a new transfer.

That leaves Alien: Directors Cut as the only unique HD transfer exclusive to that format since all digital copies use the 2010 remaster and the 4k UHD one.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About Hard-Coded Subs on Star Wars Saga 4K bendermac 7 4,755 2020-05-01, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Beber
  Alien D-Theater: Keep or Ditch? bendermac 5 4,696 2019-12-29, 11:38 PM
Last Post: PDB