Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-end video capture cards
Exclamation 
...once upon a time, I was happy with my video capture card... it is based on the Philips SAA-713x chipset, has a 9-bit ADC, 4-line adaptive comb filter, could capture uncompressed... and it's better than ones based on BT8X8 chipset!

Then, also thanks to this forum, I discovered that there are much better video capture cards around...
The requirements:
  • MUST capture uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 (and, if possible, HuffYUV too)
  • MUST have a REALLY good comb filter ALSO for PAL signal
  • MUST capture PAL and NTSC
  • 10-bit ADC and over preferred
  • PCI highly preferred; then PCI-E, USB 2.0, FireWire
  • Composite and S-Video input - RGB and/or Y/Pb/Pr are welcome
  • TBC will be appreciated, but absolutely not mandatory
  • VirtualDub capture really appreciated, but not mandatory
  • No TV tuner whenever is possible

During my usual internet searches, I found some interesting products - in no particular order:

Aja Kona LHe Plus
overly exagerated for laserdisc captures, price out of many pockets... has a 12-bit ADC, but only a 3-line comb filter; could capture audio too, but analog is XLR balanced...

Viewcast Osprey 530
Seems very good, but have not find deep info about it. The 4-channel capture cards of the same brand have 3-D + 2-D comb filter, so it's highly probable that this one has it too.

Black Magic Intensity Pro
10-bit ADC, 24-bit analog audio input, price not too high... maybe the right compromise; but it seems that SD capture is there as a "bonus feature"!

Pixel Magic PDI Deluxe a.k.a. SweetSpot
IIRC used by the X0project, and works well with DScaler too! But was not able to spot anywhere used...

ATI Theater HD 750 -> Asus My Cinema ES2-750 -> Diamond TVW750PCIE
12-bit ADC, 2-D 5-line and 3-D comb filter (will the latter work with PAL too?!?), and NO hardware MPEG2 encoder like the 650... Someone thinks that its AGC has problems.

At the end, I was lucky to find an used SweetSpot, in perfect shape and almost for free... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I have the PixelMagic PDI Sweetspot card and a Black Magic Intensity Pro.

The Sweetspot card is pretty nice, and easily works with VirtualDub and Dscaler. It also has SD component input too. It's based on the BT8x8 chipset.

The Blackmagic Intensity Pro's SD capture works fine if you use VirtualDub. But for some reason it captures 486 lines of vertical resolution which have to be cropped to 480 in Avisynth before encoding. The only downside to the Intensity Pro is that it doesn't support 8-channel PCM capture like the Intensity Shuttle does, and doesn't support 1080p60fps capture like the Avermedia Extremecap U3.
Thanks given by: spoRv
Happy to know someone else have the SweetSpot! Big Grin

May you help me out with the BT8x8 tweker that finally works with this capture card in VirtualDub?!? Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
This is what I'm using now: http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/e...b-overview

It beats the pants off of the TI TVP5160. It's definitely the best 3D comb filter I've ever seen.
Thanks given by:
(2015-05-22, 06:16 AM)BrotherOrchid Wrote: But for some reason it captures 486 lines of vertical resolution
The NTSC standard is 485 lines of active picture. 486 gets you the CC line too.

Your unit has a PAR of 0.9. Applying it to the 720x486 captured frame brings you down to 648x486 which is exactly 4:3. Smile
Thanks given by:
(2016-03-16, 09:39 PM)AntcuFaalb Wrote: This is what I'm using now: http://www.analog.com/en/design-center/e...b-overview

It beats the pants off of the TI TVP5160. It's definitely the best 3D comb filter I've ever seen.

Any comparisons to show us? Smile I thought the TVP5160 was only available in super-expensive equipment. Did you just buy an evaluation board for that one as well?

How are you handling audio?
Thanks given by:
To whom it may concern: just bought an Aja Xena LH, that seems brand new, with cable, instructions, CD-rom... it should arrive in a week or two... strongly hope this will be a really great capture card, as it seems to be; stay tuned, "I'll be back"! Wink
Thanks given by:
We trust that you'll always be back, my friend. Did you get your computer up and running again?
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:
Sadly not yet... but I will be forced to do that, at least just for the sake of using the new card!

And, thanks, Evit!
Thanks given by:
Capture card first, computer second. In this odd corner of the Internet your priorities are entirely understood! Wink
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Go-to method for VHS capture Kreeep 6 1,346 2024-04-10, 11:10 PM
Last Post: PomSpitz
  Locations List of people willing to assist with bit-perfect LD audio capture jerryshadoe 46 38,345 2023-09-03, 01:07 AM
Last Post: onlysleeping23
  Viability of cheap VHS capture Feallan 248 186,592 2021-08-02, 05:51 PM
Last Post: crissrudd4554
  Analog Audio Capture alexpeden2000 5 2,514 2021-07-23, 09:43 PM
Last Post: zoidberg
  Laserdisc capture - general thread willie1959 69 44,082 2021-03-08, 06:53 PM
Last Post: pipefan413
  Sync problems during analog capture? BusterD 13 8,590 2021-02-19, 07:17 PM
Last Post: BusterD
  4K Capture Card Recommendations. PDB 1 2,323 2021-01-19, 06:20 AM
Last Post: usagi
  Laserdisc PCM Capture Guide bronan 108 53,838 2021-01-02, 05:21 PM
  multichannel audio capture card ≥ 4 line in spoRv 4 3,880 2020-12-17, 08:02 AM
Last Post: deleted user
Exclamation High-end audio capture cards spoRv 24 20,555 2020-11-17, 11:32 AM