Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you buy a BD, DO NOT give away the DVD of the same title!
Because, while the title is the same, probably it is different... sometimes:
  • DVD has different cut
  • DVD has different color grading
  • DVD has different aspect ratio
  • DVD has different sound mix
  • DVD has more audio and/or sub tracks
  • DVD has extras while BD has not, or less, or different
(it could be the same for HD-DVD, Laserdisc etc.)

Luckily I have retained all the DVD even when upgraded to BD, and very few times DVD had exactly the same content of the BD...
Thanks given by: dwalkerdon , SwatDB
(2015-03-15, 10:27 PM)spoRv Wrote: Because, while the title is the same, probably it is different... sometimes:
  • DVD has different cut
  • DVD has different color grading
  • DVD has different sound mix
  • DVD has more audio and/or sub tracks
  • DVD has extras while BD has not, or less, or different
(it could be the same for HD-DVD, Laserdisc etc.)

Luckily I have retained all the DVD even when upgraded to BD, and very few times DVD had exactly the same content of the BD...

Good advice. I learned that the hard way after having to reacquire several older DVDs that had different colors or sound. In my naivety I assumed the BDs would be the same as the DVDs. Time has proven otherwise.
Thanks given by:
Luckily I was wise enough to not sell laserdiscs as well... now everyday I discover one title that I have on laserdisc with different color grading/audio mix/commentary/extra etc. not available on BD nor DVD...
Thanks given by:
Good advice Andrea ..... Smile
Thanks given by:
Not gonna lie, I've re-bought a few movies on vhs to transfer to DVD lol.
Thanks given by:
It's a good point, especially when it comes to the audio.
Thanks given by:
If you love a movie, you should get both DVD and Blu Ray. Sometimes its even worth the cool main menu.
Thanks given by: dwalkerdon
...and don't forget glorious Laserdisc! VHS... I never loved the format... I bought brand new only few tapes, and all of them have dropouts... all...
Thanks given by:
yes, definitely Laserdisc... there are still numerous titles that have the original theatrical color-grading/soundmix (especially mono) ONLY available on Laserdisc.
Thanks given by:
Laserdisc 4 ever!!! That's why some thousand title resides in my home - taking a LOT of space... Wink
Thanks given by: