Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halloween (1978) Criterion Laserdisc Theatrical Mono Synced to 4K UHD Blu-ray
Here's a quick and dirty project: I've synced the Crtiterion Mono audio, courtesy of Sporv's release, to the new 4K Blu-ray. All it involved was adding some silence to the beginning, and voila! We now have the proper theatrical audio, which was mistakenly omitted from the new release, which includes a fold-down of the surround track instead of the original mono.

My file is a .wav and can easily be muxed with the 4K video. This played flawlessly via Plex on my TV and should play fine on pretty much everything.

Uploaded to MEGA, PM for links. Will only send to active members, as per usual around these parts.

2021 Update v2: User Croweyes1121 has created a sync of this audio for the Shout! Factory release that correctly syncs with that release's 24fps presentation, rather than requiring an adjustment to 23.976fps like my original version. This is the version I'll offer now, as it is obviously preferable, since you don't have to sacrifice the other audio tracks/commentaries to use it. Thanks Croweyes1121!
Cool beans, thanks for doing that Colson
Thanks given by: Colson
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the main difference between the mono and remixed surround stereo version apart from the obvious?
Thanks given by:
I don't know all the changes, but I know there is new foley like lightning, wind, etc. as well as changes to pitch of certain lines (the speed kills one in particular)
Thanks given by:
There is at least one changed music cue, as well (one of the stingers).
Thanks given by:
I was literally doing this same thing a few nights ago. I just recently got a 4K drive able to rip UHD discs. Haha
Thanks given by:
Great job, thanks.
Thanks given by:
I have always wondered what the differences are in the original audio. Not old enough to have seen this in theaters and never owned laserdisc.
Thanks given by:
(2020-08-12, 03:10 PM)myers23 Wrote: I have always wondered what the differences are in the original audio. Not old enough to have seen this in theaters and never owned laserdisc.

I saw it on VHS first, then the DVD after that, which was the THX version with the digital orange tint and remixed audio. And many years later, I was lucky enough to see it on a battered old 35 mm print... to which I turned up dressed as The Shape (and surprisingly was the only one who did that). I went with a friend of a fairly nervous disposition who kept periodically forgetting I was in costume and kept catching sight of me out of his peripheral vision during the film and leaping off his seat, which was extremely funny.

There are a few noticeable changes in the remix, but the one that probably stands out the most to me is added fake sounding synthy thunder noises when Loomis is in the car before they discover the patients wandering about outside in the dark. Reminds me of the extremely goofy synthesised "I'm supposed to sound like asteroids whizzing past" noise added in the early 90s LaserDisc remix for STAR WARS.
Thanks given by:
(2020-08-12, 07:40 PM)pipefan413 Wrote:
(2020-08-12, 03:10 PM)myers23 Wrote: I have always wondered what the differences are in the original audio. Not old enough to have seen this in theaters and never owned laserdisc.

I saw it on VHS first, then the DVD after that, which was the THX version with the digital orange tint and remixed audio. And many years later, I was lucky enough to see it on a battered old 35 mm print... to which I turned up dressed as The Shape (and surprisingly was the only one who did that). I went with a friend of a fairly nervous disposition who kept periodically forgetting I was in costume and kept catching sight of me out of his peripheral vision during the film and leaping off his seat, which was extremely funny.

There are a few noticeable changes in the remix, but the one that probably stands out the most to me is added fake sounding synthy thunder noises when Loomis is in the car before they discover the patients wandering about outside in the dark. Reminds me of the extremely goofy synthesised "I'm supposed to sound like asteroids whizzing past" noise added in the early 90s LaserDisc remix for STAR WARS.

That does sound hilarious. That is awesome you got to see an actual 35mm print of the film. Even more awesome you dressed as The Shape for the occasion. Also, thanks for the response on the differences.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Batman & Robin (1997) Laserdisc synced to UHD sertoli 8 1,919 2024-03-20, 10:03 PM
Last Post: borisanddoris
  True Lies D-VHS DTS synced to DSNP WEB-DL and UHD Remux uVSthem 2 160 2024-03-18, 09:15 AM
Last Post: dvdmike
  Batman: The Animated Series (1992) select DVD tracks synced to BD Scavenger 20 4,332 2024-03-18, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Bootycheeksjohnson
  [Released] Dick Tracy (1990) Laserdisc [1066 CS] synced to BD emunateD 1 96 2024-03-15, 09:34 AM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Released] Edward Scissorhands (1990) Laserdisc [1867-80] synced to 4K WEB-DL emunateD 0 79 2024-03-14, 03:36 PM
Last Post: emunateD
  [Released] Days of Thunder (1990) Laserdisc [LV 32123] synced to 4K UHD emunateD 0 62 2024-03-14, 03:34 PM
  [Released] Joe Versus The Volcano (1990) Laserdisc [11912] synced to BD emunateD 0 52 2024-03-14, 03:33 PM
  [Released] Overboard (1987) Laserdisc [ML101197] synced to BD emunateD 0 59 2024-03-14, 03:31 PM
  [Released] The Life of Oharu (1952) - R5 Triumph Video DVD Synced to 2013 Criterion BD M A 0 178 2024-03-09, 03:14 AM
Last Post: M A
  [Released] Heat (1995) Laserdisc AC3 [14192] synced to 4K UHD emunateD 4 339 2024-03-04, 10:16 PM
Last Post: audioguy