Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Odyssey [1987 Animated Film] Upscale
Rock Odyssey is a mostly forgotten animated film by Hanna Barbera involving a girl trying to find love through the different decades to a licensed rock soundtrack.

It was never released in America, or on any kind of home media. It was only broadcast in Spain and Asia.

There was only 1 source that I could find. A DIVX blend deinterlaced PAL highly compressed Spanish VHS TV recording that was uploaded in 2008 and a cellphone recording for the english audio [Thank you Minino_Quick from DivxClasico.com for uploading the Spanish VHS and OldSkoolFan from Myspleen for reuploading the English audio after it was taken down]

However I think that my restoration is turning out good. However I can't remove the frame blending sadly as it's 25fps and already deinterlaced. Though I might do some more testing later.

[Image: RO87original.avi_snapshot_00.35.22.887.png]
[Image: RO87original.avi_snapshot_00.25.03.893.png]
Thanks given by:
I don't think this looks very good to be honest. Lots of detail smoothed away and it looks kind of too much like an oil painting on the right side. I'd definitely make an effort to at least find a DVD source for this. Working on blended frames is kind of a bad proposition imo.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-24, 04:51 AM)TomArrow Wrote: I don't think this looks very good to be honest. Lots of detail smoothed away and it looks kind of too much like an oil painting on the right side. I'd definitely make an effort to at least find a DVD source for this. Working on blended frames is kind of a bad proposition imo.
It's still a WIP, i'm still tinkering with the settings but yeah i've heard that from a lot of people.
Thanks given by:
I just googled this movie. Didn't realize that this was some kind of lost movie. So I guess this really is as good as it's gonna get any time soon. In that case I suggest what I would have suggested anyway, look into AI upscaling, specifically with BasicSR/ESRGAN. A Blutopia user has experimented with this with great success and I also tried it a bit myself and it's rather promising, however it might be a bit hard to find suitable training data for this particular project. Still, even with a dataset that's not perfectly fitting, I think you could get much better results than with your current filtering.
Thanks given by:
Some Waifu2x Tests

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: unknown.png]I also did some tests with scaling it down 50% and then upscaling it by 4x

Thanks given by:
Uploaded to Blutopia, I've also included the unrestored version so if anyone who is better than me wants to take a crack at this you can. If a mod could move this to the complete section that would be good [unless I need to repost it, I'm new to this forum]
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-27, 10:54 PM)Notelu Wrote: Uploaded to Blutopia, I've also included the unrestored version so if anyone who is better than me wants to take a crack at this you can. If a mod could move this to the complete section that would be good [unless I need to repost it, I'm new to this forum]

Done
Thanks given by:
Hi, would there be anyway to get help to get referred to Blutopia, I really want to watch Rock Odyssey again as it is impossible to find it anywhere online in proper quality. I only watch it when i was a kid and I would love to have the chance to see it again. the screenshoots belong to the tve2 when it was aired in Spain , in the early 90s in Xmass time ( i do remember that cause I was free from school). the spanish forums talking about this movie has been death for the past 2 years. Any help to get to see this gem is greatly appreciated).
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Police Story IV: First Strike, Film Whisperer reconstruction The Film Whisperer 8 1,186 11 hours ago
Last Post: Passman84
  Thunderbolt (霹靂火)--1995 Jackie Chan movie, Film Whisperer HD reconstruction (UPDATE) The Film Whisperer 13 3,251 2024-04-16, 06:51 PM
Last Post: TemptingApricots
  Drunken Master II (醉拳二)–Film Whisperer ultimate package The Film Whisperer 5 244 2024-04-15, 10:09 PM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  [Released] Jackie Chan's "Who Am I?" (我是誰), Film Whisperer HD restored version The Film Whisperer 0 63 2024-04-12, 04:21 PM
  Moonwalker (1988 Michael Jackson movie), Film Whisperer HD restoration (2023 update) The Film Whisperer 13 4,089 2024-04-09, 07:00 PM
  Millennium (1996 FOX TV) HD Upscale TVArchive 24 4,622 2024-04-07, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Viiksisiippa
  Rumble in The Bronx (紅番區), Film Whisperer special 08/20/2023 major update The Film Whisperer 26 8,429 2024-04-01, 05:13 PM
  Cobra (1986, Sylvester Stallone), Film Whisperer extended version The Film Whisperer 5 3,205 2024-03-06, 12:23 AM
Last Post: lp82
  [Released] The Wild, Wild West (1965-1969) HD Upscale TVArchive 6 1,741 2024-01-20, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  The Protector (威龍猛探) [1985]--Japanese version Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 0 301 2024-01-09, 03:40 AM