Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[No Longer Available] The Dark Knight Scope/2.35 Version (Quick Project v1.0)
[Image: C7SXd8P.jpg]

The Dark Knight Scope Version (Quick Project v1.0)
The Dark Knight (IMAX Restoration v2.0)

Project Info:

I enjoy the scope or constant 2.35 version of The Dark Knight as fun alternative to the official BD and newer UHD which both use the 16:9 framing for the IMAX shots. To my knowledge only the iTunes copy (which is far from perfect with its DNR) currently has the 2.35 version with the newer UHD color timing. This project will process the UHD video combined with the Itunes video and merge it to the Cinemas DTS of my previous project. There will be no color correction.

As a separate bonus I will also insert the full frame (~1.33) IMAX shots from my previous DK project and color correcting those shots to match the Itunes master. This will officially replace this older project:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-1337.html?...ark+knight

(I'm going to separate the IMAX version into it's own project)

Video:
Itunes master with de-blocking and no color correction in 2.35.

Audio:
1. DTS-HD MA 5.1 (from the Cinema DTS discs)
2. Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (from the US BD)

Pics:

Final Scope/2.35 Version MKV Pics
[Image: caid6fr.png]

Final IMAX Restoration v2.0 MKV Pics

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
CSchmidlapp: for the needed Imax shots and his research
Chris_solo: for syncing the Cinema DTS soundtrack
Jetrell Fo: for finding and sharing the Cinema DTS soundtrack
Thanks given by: X5gb , CSchmidlapp , applesandrice , interaser , nafroe , Setzer , Beber
Might be worth using the UHD for the non-IMAX shots for extra quality. Just something to consider.

What source will you be using for the IMAX full frame shots? Because I found an HDRip that seems to have them in HD, albeit in very low bitrate. Posted about it in the old thread I think. Might be worth looking into, maybe even finding a higher bitrate source, if one exists.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-03, 06:45 PM)TomArrow Wrote: Might be worth using the UHD for the non-IMAX shots for extra quality. Just something to consider.

That was the original plan but the color timing of the Itunes is slightly different than the many, many ways I did the HDR to SDR conversion. So that would mean a whole regrade. Plus there are other differences that lead me to just keep it all Itunes. It's a desire to keep the image as constant as possible, even if there is a bump in the visual info of the UHD compared to the DNR of the itunes.

Edit: Maybe I will use parts from the UHD....

(2019-09-03, 06:45 PM)TomArrow Wrote: What source will you be using for the IMAX full frame shots? Because I found an HDRip that seems to have them in HD, albeit in very low bitrate. Posted about it in the old thread I think. Might be worth looking into, maybe even finding a higher bitrate source, if one exists.

That HDRip sadly is just my older project taken from the spleen and re-encoded. So there will still have to be a few shots that are upscaled like in the original but it will still be mostly HD.
Thanks given by:
This looks like it's going to be another great project, sign me up for the full scope release!

Just out of curiosity has anyone compared the Cinema DTS track to the DTS-HD track on the UHD? By all accounts the UHDs all contain the far-field theatrical mixes.
Thanks given by: nafroe , PDB
PDB I still have the screener iso, which was the only version released with the actual widescreen DCP color timing.

I saw initially the DCP and it was astonishing. The SD screener is the only release with that color timing.

Would you be interested in a regrade?
Thanks given by: PDB
Looking forward to the updated 1.33:1 IMAX insert release, love your original.
Thanks given by: nafroe , PDB
This is gonna be awesome! Lost the IMAX version on my HD a while back so this will be a welcome DL. Thanks so much for your hard work!
Thanks given by: PDB
(2019-09-03, 07:53 PM)zoidberg Wrote: This looks like it's going to be another great project, sign me up for the full scope release!

(2019-09-03, 09:02 PM)X5gb Wrote: Looking forward to the updated 1.33:1 IMAX insert release, love your original.

(2019-09-04, 04:26 PM)nafroe Wrote: This is gonna be awesome!  Lost the IMAX version on my HD a while back so this will be a welcome DL.  Thanks so much for your hard work!

Thanks guys, hope it is worth the download. I will say after going through the footage I probably will use the UHD down-rezzed to 1080p to fill in the softer parts of the Itunes. Contrary to what I said to Tom above. I found a way to regrade the footage I need faster then shot-by-shot.

(2019-09-03, 07:53 PM)zoidberg Wrote: Just out of curiosity has anyone compared the Cinema DTS track to the DTS-HD track on the UHD? By all accounts the UHDs all contain the far-field theatrical mixes.

Not with the UHD's tracks but I did do a more extensive comparison between the tracks on my old project. The Cinema DTS and the BD's Dolby True. I would think since it's Nolan that the BD's DT and the UHD's DTS are the same but you never know. Anyway the Cinema DTS is super close to the BD. The only difference I could hear was the bass was "larger" on the C-DTS and the dialogue tighter on the Dolby True. But I'm talking minor, minor differences perceived by going back and forth a hundred times.

(2019-09-03, 08:38 PM)Stamper Wrote: PDB I still have the screener iso, which was the only version released with the actual widescreen DCP color timing.

I saw initially the DCP and it was astonishing. The SD screener is the only release with that color timing.

Would you be interested in a regrade?

No, I think I'm ok, thank you. I'm going keep to the iTunes/UHD's color timing. Although I don't think it is 100% accurate to theatrical prints, I suspect it is closer then the old BD.

WIP
[Image: LREdFap.jpg]

It appears the iTunes is a little less saturated in the skin tones and a little more green compared with the HDR/SDR conversion out there, including my own.

Speaking of the old BD, this project will most likely be in sync with that.
Thanks given by:
I got decently close just taking a couple shots from the UHD and the iTunes, aligning them and then running the whole batch through DrDre and then using that as a blanket LUT. It's not perfect, which is why I never pursued it, but it's actually pretty close. Main problem was that the reds would turn out well enough, but what I never tried was converting the UHD to normal colors first (different matrix thingy) and then doing that, so that might work, dunno.
Thanks given by:
(2019-09-04, 07:17 PM)TomArrow Wrote: I got decently close just taking a couple shots from the UHD and the iTunes, aligning them and then running the whole batch through DrDre and then using that as a blanket LUT. It's not perfect, which is why I never pursued it, but it's actually pretty close. Main problem was that the reds would turn out well enough, but what I never tried was converting the UHD to normal colors first (different matrix thingy) and then doing that, so that might work, dunno.

I'll give that a whirl. You still have that LUT around?

For the hell of it here are some examples of the frame differences between the 1.33, 16x9 and 2.35 framing (ignore color differences)
[Image: K58PDvu.jpg]
Thanks given by: nafroe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Longer Version HD Recreation TheLoon 84 31,240 2024-04-13, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [Released] Jackie Chan's "Who Am I?" (我是誰), Film Whisperer HD restored version The Film Whisperer 0 78 2024-04-12, 04:21 PM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  [No Longer Available] The Ring Original DVD/DVHS Colors (Quick Project) PDB 18 5,362 2024-04-09, 09:18 PM
Last Post: PDB
  Cobra (1986, Sylvester Stallone), Film Whisperer extended version The Film Whisperer 5 3,227 2024-03-06, 12:23 AM
Last Post: lp82
  [Archived] Aliens (1986) [Project: Celluloid — Branching Regrade] LucasGodzilla 9 3,481 2024-02-08, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition HD Recreation (Version 3 out now) iguanaclerk 122 70,302 2024-01-20, 09:44 AM
Last Post: iguanaclerk
  [No Longer Available] The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix PDB 27 12,339 2024-01-13, 10:36 PM
  The Protector (威龍猛探) [1985]--Japanese version Film Whisperer restoration The Film Whisperer 0 317 2024-01-09, 03:40 AM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  [Released] (No longer available) Batman 1989 35mmized deleted user 15 9,869 2023-12-31, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jedihunter92
  [Fan edit] Raiders of the Lost Ark - Soderbergh version remux spoRv 5 6,397 2023-11-24, 02:14 AM