Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sting (1973) R1 1998 DVD Mono synced to 4k UHD
Music 
Hey all! Today I got a nice treat; the original mono audio from The Sting's 1998 R1 DVD, synced to the new 4k disc!
Needed very little work to sync. Sounds fantastic. Original sound effects present of course!

Hit me up via DM if you'd like to check it out.
(2021-06-14, 12:48 AM)SpookyDollhouse Wrote: Hey all! Today I got a nice treat; the original mono audio from The Sting's 1998 R1 DVD, synced to the new 4k disc!
Needed very little work to sync. Sounds fantastic. Original sound effects present of course!

Nice one, I also did this same project myself. Wish I had come across this thread sooner!

When you say it took little work to sync, I found it to be a difficult case.
Although the frame rate more or less matched, the Dolby track kept going out of sync around certain chapter markers.
My solution was to split the video into pieces and sync each section separately. How did you manage it?
Thanks given by:
Does anyone have this audio?
I just found out that the remix has altered sound effects.
SpookyDollhouse hasn't logged in for 1,5 month now here, so he wouldn't see my message. Sad
Thanks given by:
(2023-05-29, 07:45 AM)Lucidae Wrote:
(2021-06-14, 12:48 AM)SpookyDollhouse Wrote: Hey all! Today I got a nice treat; the original mono audio from The Sting's 1998 R1 DVD, synced to the new 4k disc!

Nice one, I also did this same project myself. Wish I had come across this thread sooner!

When you say it took little work to sync, I found it to be a difficult case.
Although the frame rate more or less matched, the Dolby track kept going out of sync around certain chapter markers.
My solution was to split the video into pieces and sync each section separately. How did you manage it?

I've never used video in any of my syncs. If the source track is in sync, that's all you need. Just pull everything up in spectrogram and off you go. Most sync edits are just adding/removing parts where there's little to no sound anyways.

And do we not have a comparison to the LD 11001 which has a digital track?
Thanks given by:
(2023-07-07, 02:35 AM)Yarp Wrote: I've never used video in any of my syncs. If the source track is in sync, that's all you need. Just pull everything up in spectrogram and off you go. Most sync edits are just adding/removing parts where there's little to no sound anyways.

If it's the same mix then you can usually sync via wavforms just fine, but sometimes with remixes the sync can be all over the place compared to the original mix and you're much better off syncing by video.
Thanks given by: alleycat
You need video as a guide especially when you are working wtih a heavily altered remix - sometimes the remix tracks are in less in sync with the original audio. Also the audio can drift into a transition/different scene without noticing it untll you are watching the movie. thats why its best to use a video editing program cause it shows the film strip above the audio so you can see the transition.
Thanks given by:
(2023-07-07, 05:24 PM)stwd4nder2 Wrote:
(2023-07-07, 02:35 AM)Yarp Wrote: I've never used video in any of my syncs. If the source track is in sync, that's all you need. Just pull everything up in spectrogram and off you go. Most sync edits are just adding/removing parts where there's little to no sound anyways.

If it's the same mix then you can usually sync via wavforms just fine, but sometimes with remixes the sync can be all over the place compared to the original mix and you're much better off syncing by video.

(2023-07-07, 06:31 PM)dillon Wrote: You need video as a guide especially when you are working wtih a heavily altered remix - sometimes the remix tracks are in less in sync with the original audio. Also the audio can drift into a transition/different scene without noticing it untll you are watching the movie. thats why its best to use a video editing program cause it shows the film strip above the audio so you can see the transition.

syncing via waveforms sounds really difficult. how do you verify a really small speed adjustment (like .003) when you're only looking at waveforms? how do you know what you're working with when you can't see much of the sound? you cant see any matching pops/cracks/errors/splits/breaks unless you're looking at spectrograms. ive done 100+ syncs and have yet to run into one where video was needed. i'd imagine it would need to be noticeably out of sync to start with. i just did the LD for Romancing the Stone a few weeks ago which was literally all over the place and it still synced up surprisingly easily. i would love to get an example of a sync that isn't possible without video to see what i can do. there very might well be some tracks where video is needed but i haven't run into any yet.

i'll pick up the LD 11001 if i find it for cheap though.
Thanks given by:
Pretty much every clint eastwood remix has a gun shot that is a few ms off from the muzzle flash. You probably won't notice this anyhow
it's not hard at all to use waveforms you just go by ear . You may be off by a couple ms but who cares.
it's pretty easy to spot a pop in the audio when u are zoomed into the audio track.
Thanks given by:
Also there is one movie, i wont say which one but the director added a fade in of some music to transition a scene for the bluray on the LD it's completly silent and looks off, can't really add in back in that without seeing the video.
Thanks given by:
(2023-07-07, 09:03 PM)dillon Wrote: Pretty much every clint eastwood remix has a gun shot  that is a few ms off from the muzzle flash. You probably won't notice this anyhow
it's not hard at all to use waveforms you just go by ear . You may be off by a couple ms but who cares.
it's pretty easy to spot a pop in the audio when u are zoomed into the audio track.

like you said, if they are only a few ms off and not noticible, you dont need to worry about that. i just dont see how you can be accurate and seamless enough going by ear.

as an example, if i need to add or remove 40ms from here, how would you choose where to do that if you're only using waveforms?
[Image: WonKZ1R.png]

The same section in spectrogram gives you all the info you need on where to best make that edit:
[Image: UAI24NG.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Batman & Robin (1997) Laserdisc synced to UHD sertoli 9 2,187 2024-04-20, 08:56 PM
Last Post: unholybr
  Planet of the Apes sequels (1970-1973) audio collection jonno 7 272 2024-04-17, 05:15 AM
Last Post: BDgeek
  [Released] The King of Comedy (1982) 2002 DVD with Patched 2014 BD Ray Charles Song Synced GreedoNeverShot 0 116 2024-04-15, 02:34 AM
Last Post: GreedoNeverShot
  [Released] King Of New York (1990) Laserdisc [ID7612IV] synced to 4K UHD emunateD 1 233 2024-04-07, 10:38 PM
Last Post: axeyou
  True Lies D-VHS DTS synced to DSNP WEB-DL and UHD Remux uVSthem 2 284 2024-03-18, 09:15 AM
Last Post: dvdmike
  Batman: The Animated Series (1992) select DVD tracks synced to BD Scavenger 20 4,731 2024-03-18, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Bootycheeksjohnson
  [Released] Dick Tracy (1990) Laserdisc [1066 CS] synced to BD emunateD 1 185 2024-03-15, 09:34 AM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Released] Edward Scissorhands (1990) Laserdisc [1867-80] synced to 4K WEB-DL emunateD 0 153 2024-03-14, 03:36 PM
Last Post: emunateD
  [Released] Days of Thunder (1990) Laserdisc [LV 32123] synced to 4K UHD emunateD 0 129 2024-03-14, 03:34 PM
  [Released] Joe Versus The Volcano (1990) Laserdisc [11912] synced to BD emunateD 0 129 2024-03-14, 03:33 PM