Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaws LD mono track
This is my first real thread so bare with me. I was curious if anyone has considered preserving the mono mix for Jaws from the 1995 Laserdisc. Im asking cause I noticed some things are more audible on my 1995 VHS then in the mono mix that accompanies the current releases. This includes Cassidy burping at the end of the opening scene and Brody's scream when the rigging holding the shark cage comes apart. Now granted Ive never seen a movie on Laserdisc so I actually dont know how it sounds. Im just guessing based on the VHS. This is also another reason i suggested the 1995 Laserdisc since most pre1995 releases have a different song being played in the beach scene where the kid on the raft is killed. Anyways just a suggestion. A few things about the mono mix on the current releases. Im actually quite happy with the mono mix from the 2005 DVD. I dont have the BluRay but I do have the 2012 DVD. The mono mix on that DVD is mostly identical to the 2005 mix. However the 2005 mix I noticed is slightly crisper and the 2012 mix has a few 'flaws'. This includes some sound effects being about a split second out of sync in the scene where the tiger shark is cut open and also the sound of the engine exploding is in the wrong pitch.
Thanks given by:
Congrats on your first threadWink

Hmmm... is there any difference between the 1995 LD and 1997 Special Collection LD?

I know little about this film's audio mix and any potential changes introduced over the years, so I can't be of much use to you there. However, the 1997 Special Collection LD has already been captured and synced to the 2012 Universal 100th Anniversary BD.

If you are interested in acquiring the audio track, please PM meWink
Thanks given by: pipefan413
I'm curious to know if there is any version with the whole dialogue from the autopsy scene that could complete the ambiguously-inserted line "this is what happens".

http://jawsmovie.com/forums/topic/finall...t-happens/

There are some hints that this extended scene could have been seen in UK cinemas but it never made it to VHS, DVD or BR. I wonder if Laserdisc has any suprise for us?
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-15, 08:05 AM)jerryshadoe Wrote: Congrats on your first threadWink

Hmmm... is there any difference between the 1995 LD and 1997 Special Collection LD?

I know little about this film's audio mix and any potential changes introduced over the years, so I can't be of much use to you there. However, the 1997 Special Collection LD has already been captured and synced to the 2012 Universal 100th Anniversary BD.

If you are interested in acquiring the audio track, please PM meWink

I wasnt aware of a 1997 LD. Keep in mind my LD knowledge is limited since I never owned any however I would like to see those results. I'll give a brief history of some of the audio mixes for Jaws. All releases prior to 2000 had the films original mono mix. However, as I mentioned before most pre 1995 releases used a different song during the beach scene where the boy on the raft is eaten by the shark. Every release from 1995 onward have 'Having my Baby' by Paul Anka playing in the scene which I assume is the original song since no release since mentions music 'rescored' on the artwork like a few of the pre '95 releases did. Most of us probably know this but in 2000 Jaws was remixed in 5.1 surround which required remastering John Williams' score and rerecording all the sound effects. Some fans were pleased with this mix while old school fans like myself found it disappointing. Even more upsetting was the first Jaws DVD release only included this mix and not the original mono. Fortunately subsequent reissues have included both mixes. For the BluRay the 5.1 mix was upscaled to 7.1 and although it restored some original sound effects it was still 98% the same mix from 2000.

(2016-01-15, 03:03 PM)Evit Wrote: I'm curious to know if there is any version with the whole dialogue from the autopsy scene that could complete the ambiguously-inserted line "this is what happens".

http://jawsmovie.com/forums/topic/finall...t-happens/

There are some hints that this extended scene could have been seen in UK cinemas but it never made it to VHS, DVD or BR. I wonder if Laserdisc has any suprise for us?

Wow! I did not know this. I would definitely like to see those cut bits restored someday. Oh and nice to meet you. Always nice meeting a fellow OT.com member.
Thanks given by:
Nice to meet you too! I was also a member of the Jawsboard years ago, I just didn't have time to follow all the forums I would have liked to, ahah.

The story of this missing part goes more or less like this (but it's mostly from deduction and hearsay): in 1987, ABC in America broadcasted an uncut edition of the film which fans were not familiar with. It had a lot of additional scenes (later seen in special editions of the film in DVD) and included more shots of the girl's body (never seen in home video) which we can guess they were cut to appeal a wider and younger audience, this lead to that silly line "and this is what happens" just hanging there. Many reported remembering the full scene from the cinema where the film was rated R, which gives the idea that there were two edits of the same movie going to different theaters.

Although unlikely, I'm curious to know if this could be on early laserdisc version of the film. Dreaming is free
Thanks given by:
As far as I know Jaws was never Rated R. They even discuss in the making of documentary that they were keen on getting a PG rating so kids could see the film. Whether if that was their way of rewriting history 20 some years later I dont know but I remember they mentioned that.
Thanks given by:
(2016-01-15, 10:55 PM)crissrudd4554 Wrote: As far as I know Jaws was never Rated R. They even discuss in the making of documentary that they were keen on getting a PG rating so kids could see the film. Whether if that was their way of rewriting history 20 some years later I dont know but I remember they mentioned that.

It might have been an R rating in the UK, since there was a good number of Britons remembering a more gorey autopsy scene. The TV broadcast though was American, on ABC.
Thanks given by:
I can't imagine a gorier autopsy would have been on American network TV. The network broadcasts had particularly graphic content edited OUT, I can't imagine something more graphic than what was in theaters would have ever been put back IN.

Just sounds like another unsubstantiated rumor to me. Lots of people remember seeing scenes in the theater that never existed (Luke Skywalker throwing the grappling hook and missing).
Thanks given by:
It might well be, after all they are all rumors. But it's worth keeping an eye for any home video release that pops-up.
My girlfriend is from the UK and she has only seen this film on TV or VHS, her and the mum also recall an extended dialogue on the "this is what happens" line... again, it could be the memory playing tricks and filling the gaps!
Thanks given by:
Something WAS cut, Spielberg said so, but we don't know exactly WHAT was cut other than that the line was cut off (the shooting script exists but has never been put up online in full) and we certainly have no proof a longer version was ever released.

I've heard so many rumors over the years about extra scenes from various movies that either weren't real, or at least weren't actually included in any released edit of the movie, and have only been available to the public in DVD extras (if even that). There are people who know a lot more about Jaws than I do, and from what I'm reading, they say with absolute certainty that no deleted scenes have ever been in any released version of the film, in theaters or on TV or anywhere.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Request] Citizen Kane 1991 Turner Hi-Fi VHS mono James76 1 575 2024-03-13, 06:15 PM
Last Post: ifkg
  The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) Mono NeonBible 21 9,056 2024-02-22, 06:51 PM
Last Post: PomSpitz
  Excalibur (1981) - Original Mono Mix from US-LD bendermac 46 29,156 2024-02-09, 05:56 AM
Last Post: PomSpitz
  [Request] A Charlie Brown Christmas 1990 Shell Hi-Fi VHS mono James76 0 269 2023-12-13, 12:10 AM
Last Post: James76
  [Help] Terminator 1 MGM DVD Mono to 2012 BD Red41804 2 476 2023-12-06, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Red41804
  Superman III 70mm 6-track audio availability? uVSthem 0 337 2023-11-26, 07:51 PM
Last Post: uVSthem
  Casablanca 1984 CBS/Fox Hi-Fi VHS mono James76 0 510 2023-10-23, 06:25 PM
Last Post: James76
  [Request] The Warriors (1979) Theatrical Original Mono brad86 8 1,353 2023-09-30, 05:25 PM
Last Post: marin888
  Three Days of the Condor (1975) LD Mono NeonBible 19 6,640 2023-09-27, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Yarp
  The Wicker Man DC LPCM mono NeonBible 3 2,254 2023-09-25, 10:47 PM
Last Post: xwmario