Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logo/Station ID Removal
Anyone have any advice or good tools for removing logos from HDTV broadcasts? There is a project I'd like to do but without getting rid of the station logo, I can't use the footage I have.
Thanks given by:
Best option is to find another source, and use is to build a "patch"!
Thanks given by:
That's what I was afraid you were going to say. Sadly, this is the only copy I can find so far. The idea was I wanted to re-create the IMAX version of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and found a 16:9 transfer that preserves the IMAX scenes. Sadly, that logo is there:

[Image: mi_imax.jpg]

Thanks, spoRv
Thanks given by:
I know you knew it! Wink

First, try to find another HDTV source - if it exists, probably has the logo in another corner!

If you can't find it, you should try some Avisynth logo removal script - can't remember which one I used once... because now, it there is another source, I use everytime the "patch technique" - like I'm doing in the Cube 2 project

By the way, I LOVE open matte/full frame/IMAX etc. restorations!!!
Thanks given by:
I have to agree with Andrea here - the best way is to "patch" the logo with another source. Any scripts I have used to get rid of logos are "so-so" at best and atrociously ugly at worst. Is there any other source that you could use here? I still have the R6 dvdscr version of this which had a 16x9 AR. The quality is not the best but maybe you could use it for the patch. To the best of my knowledge, that's the only other version that has the 16x9 AR, as all other ones I have seen are 2.35 or 2.39. If you need this footage, please feel free to PM meWink
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-01, 05:48 PM)spoRv Wrote: I know you knew it! Wink

First, try to find another HDTV source - if it exists, probably has the logo in another corner!

If you can't find it, you should try some Avisynth logo removal script - can't remember which one I used once... because now, it there is another source, I use everytime the "patch technique" - like I'm doing in the Cube 2 project

By the way, I LOVE open matte/full frame/IMAX etc. restorations!!!

I think I remember another HD source airing on US pay cable but there is no way I can get a hold of that now. Its long gone.

I'm a big OAR guy but I love open matte HD masters also. Its always fun to see what was at the edges. I also love those special IMAX versions. I was hoping for an IMAX version of this to show up like, Star Trek Into Darkness did but frankly given what the director said, I'm not hopeful. So its another Fanres potential project.

(2015-04-02, 12:36 AM)jerryshadoe Wrote: I have to agree with Andrea here - the best way is to "patch" the logo with another source. Any scripts I have used to get rid of logos are "so-so" at best and atrociously ugly at worst. Is there any other source that you could use here? I still have the R6 dvdscr version of this which had a 16x9 AR. The quality is not the best but maybe you could use it for the patch. To the best of my knowledge, that's the only other version that has the 16x9 AR, as all other ones I have seen are 2.35 or 2.39. If you need this footage, please feel free to PM meWink

Your right of course. Been trying a few more logo removal programs and its just a no-go. I would love to find another source but I think I'm stuck with what I have at the moment. I would love to get a copy of that screener. Maybe the resolution on it is good enough to fix my HDTV copy. Thanks, jerryshadoe
Thanks given by:
I, too, am a huge fan of OAR but I also love open-matte versions of films due to the "extra" stuff you can see on-screen. I hate cropped footage because IMO it looks awful as it doesn't show everything that was intended to be seen.

On topic of that screener... I located it on my HDD and immediately went to start comparing the frames you posted with the footage I have. F*CK!!! It's going to be useless to you as it's true 16x9 AR BUT it's cropped from the 2.35 AR. When the film first starts there's a disclaimer that the film has been modified from theatrical presentation to fit the screen (which can mean open-matte OR a damn crop)

I doubt that you will want me to send it to you... Just to prove my point, below are screenshots (roughly same frame) comparing the footage you have VS the screener:

Your footage:
[Image: mi_imax.jpg]

the dvdscr:
[Image: edVerab.jpg]
[Image: t2BFmRn.jpg]
[Image: YeqMd8r.jpg]

As you can see, they are obviously cropped... Sad
I will keep an eye out for you and if I find another copy, will let you knowWink
For now, you have 3 options:
a) use the footage "as-is" as the logo is not very intrusive
b) crop the bottom off to get rid of the logo (not advisable)
c) wait for another source (I have checked all the places I usually go to in order to find HDTV rips of movies but have found nothing, not even the copy you already have)

Was really hoping I could be of more use here, sorry to get your hopes up...
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-02, 08:19 AM)jerryshadoe Wrote: I, too, am a huge fan of OAR but I also love open-matte versions of films due to the "extra" stuff you can see on-screen. I hate cropped footage because IMO it looks awful as it doesn't show everything that was intended to be seen.
On topic of that screener... I located it on my HDD and immediately went to start comparing the frames you posted with the footage I have. F*CK!!! It's going to be useless to you as it's true 16x9 AR BUT it's cropped from the 2.35 AR. When the film first starts there's a disclaimer that the film has been modified from theatrical presentation to fit the screen (which can mean open-matte OR a damn crop)

I doubt that you will want me to send it to you... Just to prove my point, below are screenshots (roughly same frame) comparing the footage you have VS the screener:

As you can see, they are obviously cropped... Sad
I will keep an eye out for you and if I find another copy, will let you knowWink
For now, you have 3 options:
a) use the footage "as-is" as the logo is not very intrusive
b) crop the bottom off to get rid of the logo (not advisable)
c) wait for another source (I have checked all the places I usually go to in order to find HDTV rips of movies but have found nothing, not even the copy you already have)

Was really hoping I could be of more use here, sorry to get your hopes up...

No worries, I appreciate you looking around jerryshadoe. That's cool of you. I may try to see if anything shows up. Much like you, I'm not keen on cropping. I want that whole frame if possible. I wanted to see if I can find a 16:9 copy streaming online. It would be lower grade but might help. So far no luck.

Actually there is are a few more Imax shots then the Dubai scene. Seem the garage showdown at the end is part Imax also.

I was thinking with the new movie coming out it might be a fun, easy project to cut out the IMAX scenes and paste them into the blu-ray to re-do the Imax version. Like everything, it turns out not as easy as it seems.

Actually, its funny, if you look around you can find some interesting HDTV masters on US cable. No one seems to pay attention to cable broadcasts since they are usually cropped and the blu-rays are always superior but there are some gems. Just the other day I found an open matte version of Broken Arrow (Super 35) and the new Robocop (Arri Alexa Digital).
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-03, 07:12 PM)PDB Wrote: Just the other day I found an open matte version of Broken Arrow (Super 35) and the new Robocop (Arri Alexa Digital).

Take care of both until you could use them for preservation purposes... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(2015-04-03, 07:19 PM)spoRv Wrote:
(2015-04-03, 07:12 PM)PDB Wrote: Just the other day I found an open matte version of Broken Arrow (Super 35) and the new Robocop (Arri Alexa Digital).

Take care of both until you could use them for preservation purposes... Big Grin

Oh I defiantly will hang on to them. I really want to do an "open matte" series of releases. Finding them has become sort of a fun hunt.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manual spot removal software? Nick_M 7 2,880 2023-04-24, 01:12 AM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  A new era for logo removal and Open Matte? deleted user 7 3,740 2020-10-15, 01:16 AM
Last Post: zoidberg
  Buffy Promo Logo Design Help! Ruppi007 1 2,265 2019-04-14, 11:30 PM
Last Post: spoRv
  [Help] Automated Scratch Removal Booshman 5 4,856 2018-09-05, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Booshman
  Edge Enhancement Removal Synnove 12 9,899 2017-12-31, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Synnove