Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[No Longer Available] Conan The Barbarian Theatrical Cut (Quick Project)
[Image: 1zbmAnj.jpg]

Conan The Barbarian Theatrical Cut (Quick Project v1.0)

Project Info:

Before I start, I know Team Blu did a great release of the theatrical cut. This isn't meant to compete with that project but to be an alternative built using a few HDTV broadcasts. The cut is the same but the look of this is different.

Regardless, this project was inspired by Bronan's thread here:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-2732.html

The HDTV broadcast is from a different master and scan (CE DVD master?) and has a color timing that is different to the original BD or the TB regrade. I'd say the HDTV appears more warmer overall with golden skin tones. Although not as sharp as the BD, the HDTV has a slightly more "film look" to it.

For soundtracks I added the mono (PCM) from the LD and  the mono (EAC-3 converted to PCM) from HBO HDTV.

Video:
The main OAR HDTV was de-blocked, cleaned-up, de-logoed (via another HDTV and the BD), etc. With parts borrowed from another HDTV broadcast as fill. No color correction was preformed.

Audio:
1. PCM 2.0 Mono 48 (from the Dolby Digital+ 2.0 Mono HBO HDTV Broadcast - converted to PCM for editing)
2. PCM 2.0 Mono 48 (from the widescreen LD)

Sync
Not synced to anything

Pics:
[Image: fPTQVhi.jpg]

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
Anonymous: For the OAR HDTV broadcast
Bronan: For the HBO broadcast
Godspeed! I have the LD PCM ripped if you need it
Thanks given by: PDB
By Crom! Yeah!
Funnily enough I just finished watching Conan!

Looking forward to it. I never knew where to get hold of the Team Blu version. Did their version represent the original theatrical colour timing?
As far as I know the only scene they adjusted the color timing on was the day for night shots before the witches hut.
Thanks given by:
You_Too overhauled the color timing with the aim of matching US theatrical prints.

PDB, best of luck with this project! It's sure to make many people happy. The screenshots look great.
Thanks given by: bronan , PDB
Thanks to Bronan for sharing my sound with the original Amazon stream, which I managed to get, glad that it was useful.
Thanks guys!

(2019-07-27, 12:27 AM)Chewtobacca Wrote: You_Too overhauled the color timing with the aim of matching US theatrical prints.

PDB, best of luck with this project!  It's sure to make many people happy.  The screenshots look great.

That was my understanding also, that they started only fixing the day for night shots but at some point YT did a whole grade of the movie. Not sure what it was based on but I'm guess maybe the laserdisc or first gen DVD?

————————————————————

The HDTV looks different than the TB project. Darker with less shadow detail but better blacks. Beside already having the correct day for night tint, there are also tints on other scenes like an yellow filter on the orgy scene. Overall the skin tones are warmer with a hint of red in the highs.

Only downside is that the BD is a newer, better, sharper scan and this is a older mpeg-2 HDTV, but personally I like the HDTV colors better. YMMV.

(2019-07-27, 05:31 AM)maksnew Wrote: Thanks to Bronan for sharing my sound with the original Amazon stream, which I managed to get, glad that it was useful.

Thank you also.
Thanks given by:
Hasn't the US BD the theatrical cut?
Thanks given by:
The US BD has the international cut, not the US theatrical.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Longer Version HD Recreation TheLoon 84 31,358 2024-04-13, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [No Longer Available] The Ring Original DVD/DVHS Colors (Quick Project) PDB 18 5,374 2024-04-09, 09:18 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Archived] Aliens (1986) [Project: Celluloid — Branching Regrade] LucasGodzilla 9 3,508 2024-02-08, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [No Longer Available] The Hitcher Regrade and Video Fix PDB 27 12,361 2024-01-13, 10:36 PM
  [Released] (No longer available) Batman 1989 35mmized deleted user 15 9,881 2023-12-31, 04:18 PM
Last Post: jedihunter92
  The Exorcist (1973): Theatrical Cut Reconstruction The Aluminum Falcon 34 26,824 2023-11-27, 06:56 AM
Last Post: pipefan413
  [No longer available] Highlander II - US Theatrical Cut - Preservation HippieDalek 29 14,283 2023-10-06, 11:51 AM
Last Post: HDprojects+Restore89
  [No LongerAvailable]The Good,The Bad and The Ugly International Cut/US Theatrical Cut PDB 96 111,526 2023-07-15, 09:35 AM
  [No Longer Available] Dragonslayer (Video Fix and Color Correction) PDB 42 30,490 2023-04-19, 10:18 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2
  [Archived] Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) [Project: Celluloid — Regrade] LucasGodzilla 22 9,481 2023-03-10, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Virtualcrane