Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash Gordon (1980)
FLASH!!!
NEEDS HELP!

I love this picture. It shouldn't work, but it does and has tons of heart. It represents everything missing from modern superhero-dom.

However it is a mess in HD. Universal made a remastered DVD and ported it to BD. It is a over DNR'd scrubbed mess that also ruins the color and makes everything seem garish. Also they remixed the audio and made a godawful sounding dull 5.1 mix.
In the UK they made a new master for DVD and ported to BD but it is far too bright and the color seems off too. Then the audio track is somehow pitched too high.

I run the LD and it looks stupendous and has the badass balls to the wall Dolby Stereo that obliterates the BD hdma. I'm currently after the first DVD which is supposed to be identical to the LD and hope to one day sync the LD PCM.
Review with comparisons:
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/flash-gordon.html

It also seems the original serials are OOP and best available on the old Image LD/DVDs.
Damn Fool Idealistic Crusader
Thanks given by:
Would be nice if a print turned up. And I agree on the LD audio.
Thanks given by:
I hope a 4K scanned bluray turns up soon! I've seen this once but I liked the aesthetics (since I love 80s sci-fi).
Thanks given by:
Believe it or not, the US BD is better than the DE one, which I'm fairly sure has the same AVC encoding as the UK.  The UK does have PCM 2.0, though I can't remember what it sounds like. I'll check if I get the opportunity, though the LD PCM is likely to sound better. Which audio track is pitched too high, captain? Just the 5.1 or both?

Thanks for posting that DVD comparison though!  I'd like to get my hands on the '98 DVD at some point.  The color looks much better. Years ago, I'd never have believed that I'd be trying to track down early DVD releases in 2017.
Thanks given by:
Flash Gordon is my all time favourite (ask Jonno!) i’ve Got multiple DVD’s and one or two 35mm frames in my collection along with loads of promo material so let me know what you need
Thanks given by:
Do you have the '98 R1 DVD, Bigrob?
Thanks given by:
(2017-12-13, 03:26 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote: Do you have the '98 R1 DVD, Bigrob?

The Image DVD?

Yes I do. I think mine was the recalled version though. According to DVDcompare there were two releases

I also have the BMG DVD from the UK which has PCM 2.0 on it
Thanks given by:
(2017-12-13, 03:39 PM)Bigrob Wrote: The Image DVD?

That's the one (or, rather, the two).   Tongue

Quote:Yes I do. I think mine was the recalled version though. According to DVDcompare there were two releases

I wonder what the quality issues were.  At least dvdcompare provides the catalog numbers.

Quote:I also have the BMG DVD from the UK which has PCM 2.0 on it

Interesting to hear of a DVD with PCM! There weren't many like that.  Presumably, it has PAL speed-up. I wonder if the pitch issues on the UK BD are connected somehow.
Thanks given by:
(2017-12-13, 04:17 PM)Chewtobacca Wrote:
(2017-12-13, 03:39 PM)Bigrob Wrote: The Image DVD?

That's the one (or, rather, the two).   Tongue

Quote:Yes I do. I think mine was the recalled version though. According to DVDcompare there were two releases

I wonder what the quality issues were.  At least dvdcompare provides the catalog numbers.

Quote:I also have the BMG DVD from the UK which has PCM 2.0 on it

Interesting to hear of a DVD with PCM! There weren't many like that.  Presumably, it has PAL speed-up. I wonder if the pitch issues on the UK BD are connected somehow.

It’s StudioCanal and their shoddy releases. Loads had pitch issues on them in the UK.

I’ll fish them out and rip the audio tracks, do screenshots if it helps.
Thanks given by:
^ Thanks! I'm not the best person to assess pitch issues though.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Request] The Shining (1980) - US DVD 1st release bendermac 10 6,086 2022-01-19, 04:24 AM
Last Post: CloakedDragon97
  [Idea] The Shining (1980) - UAR regraded spoRv 18 10,529 2019-04-19, 04:42 AM
Last Post: SpaceBlackKnight
  [Help] Yami no teiô kyûketsuki Dracula (1980)/ Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned Booshman 0 1,855 2018-11-19, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Booshman