Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Canceled] The Abyss Open Matte and Regrade
Its pretty clear random.next can do a much better job than I can so I'm canceling this project.

[Image: La5FvtY.png]

The Abyss SE Open Matte (New HDTV Colors Regrade v1.0A)
The Abyss TC Open Matte (New HDTV Colors Regrade v1.0B)

Project Info:

This project attempts to create the best open matte version of The Abyss by combining the parts from 2 separate HDTV broadcasts (no logo cap and AXN for fill). It's a project similar to my Top Gun, Fight Club and Quantum Of Solace projects.

Each video file has the normal range of issues: compression artifacts, smeared grain, missing frames, etc that will be cleaned up. There might be a chance of dirt clean up but I haven't decided yet.

Originally this project was going to use a color regrade that I had come up with for my upscale of the 4:3 OM DVD but when comparing that grade to the colors from the "new" HD master, they were close enough that I decided to just use the "new" HD's colors.

Test Run
Old HDTV Colors\New HDTV Colors
[Image: X6Sh7Jb.png]

Finally, spoRv provided a copy of his YAO subs so you can watch the project in 1.77 open matte or theatrical 2.35 with a tiny bit of crop varying per shot. Once again the opening 20th Century logo be over cropped incorrectly but the rest is fine.

Video:
A combination of 2 HDTV broadcast merged together to create the best version with compression artifacts minimized and other clean up measures preformed.

Audio: (Version A)
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the SE LD)
2. DTS-ES 6.1 (from the Chinese DVD)

(Version B)
1. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (from the TC LD)
2. PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround (cut down from the SE LD)
3. Dolby Digital 5.1 (from the HDTV Broadcast)

Subs:
1. English (from the US DVD)
2. spoRv's YAO subs to watch the 1.77 open matte video in 2.35 mode (Version A only)

Pics

Temp/WIP Pics

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
Chewtobacca: for audio help
X5gb: for material help
Thanks given by: Stamper , Hitcher , applesandrice
This is just a placeholder for this project which will be started end of this year and completes next year. So it is in the Proposal section right now to gather info and materials to make it complete. This (and maybe Skyfall) will probably be my last open matte projects for awhile as I've almost finished rebuilding my Road Warrior and Blade Runner projects after losing a lot of work in a HDD crash. I really want to get those done as soon as I have the intermediary files back up and running.
Thanks given by: Stamper , applesandrice
Awesome. When did you upscale the OM DVD? I can't remember that release.

I'm not sure the old colors are warranting such work, it looks just purple shifted to me whereas the colors on the new HD look more balanced.
Thanks given by: PDB
I know it's been said a million times by now all over the interwebs but...

How the f**k has this not been released on Blu-ray yet !!!!!!
I kind of get Cameron's (or more likely Fox now Disney) reluctance to release True Lies, but The Abyss???
It should have been on its 3rd run by now from Arrow or another boutique label.

As always your work on these projects is very much appreciated and I'm sure is going to be my definitive version to go to.

I think including the DTS 6.1 is a must.
(2019-11-21, 08:57 PM)Stamper Wrote: I'm not sure the old colors are warranting such work, it looks just purple shifted to me whereas the colors on the new HD look more balanced.

And pretty much acurate: https://fanrestore.com/thread-268-post-5...l#pid54945
Thanks given by: CSchmidlapp
You just keep choosing films I love.

Out of interest - what exactly are 'YAO subs'? and is this the extended version?

Thanks.
(2019-11-21, 10:53 PM)Hitcher Wrote: You just keep choosing films I love.

Out of interest - what exactly are 'YAO subs'? and is this the extended version?

Thanks.

YAO subs are a subtitle track that applies Blackbars to the top and bottom of the screen, giving you the Theatrical AR on Open Matte releases.

It's the special edition judging by the screen shots although I could be mistaken.
Thanks given by: Hitcher
(2019-11-21, 10:58 PM)CSchmidlapp Wrote:

Thanks.

YAO subs are a subtitle track that applies Blackbars to the top and bottom of the screen, giving you the Theatrical AR on Open Matte releases.

It's the special edition judging by the screen shots although I could be mistaken.

Special Edition for sure. The last picture time code being in the 2h40+ minutes gives it away.
Thanks given by: CSchmidlapp
(2019-11-21, 10:08 PM)CSchmidlapp Wrote: As always your work on these projects is very much appreciated and I'm sure is going to be my definitive version to go to.

I think including the DTS 6.1 is a must.

Someone is looking for the DTS for me. I don't have it yet so I put it down as a maybe just as a CYA. I really want to include it.

(2019-11-21, 08:57 PM)Stamper Wrote: Awesome. When did you upscale the OM DVD? I can't remember that release.

Never released it to the public, that's why you don't remember it Smile. No one seemed to like those upscales (outside of BTTF) so I stopped releasing them but I didn't stop making them at least for awhile.

(2019-11-21, 08:57 PM)Stamper Wrote: I'm not sure the old colors are warranting such work, it looks just purple shifted to me whereas the colors on the new HD look more balanced.

(2019-11-21, 10:33 PM)Beber Wrote:

And pretty much acurate: https://fanrestore.com/thread-268-post-5...l#pid54945

True but why have one version when you can have two? Big Grin (And maybe the even more inaccurate Japanese colors)

Thanks.

(2019-11-21, 10:58 PM)CSchmidlapp Wrote: YAO subs are a subtitle track that applies Blackbars to the top and bottom of the screen, giving you the Theatrical AR on Open Matte releases.

That's right. They are an invention of spoRv's to add black bars at the top and bottom of the frame using the subtitle feature. spoRv was nice enough to generate them for this project. It's not perfect since every S35 transfer crops the sides slightly and framing varies but in a pinch it's a great feature to watch the film in something aproaching OAR. Read more here:

https://fanrestore.com/thread-1608.html?...YAO%2Asubs

(2019-11-21, 10:58 PM)CSchmidlapp Wrote: It's the special edition judging by the screen shots although I could be mistaken.

(2019-11-21, 11:00 PM)Beber Wrote: Special Edition for sure. The last picture time code being in the 2h40+ minutes gives it away.

Yes it is the SE. Both OM caps are the SE. I didn't put SE in the title or body of this since I wasn't sure if I would cut it down to the TC also. Abyss is the only Cameron SE that I think is better than the TC.

Would people want the TC also?
Thanks given by: CSchmidlapp , Hitcher
I personally prefer the SE. Does it include the rat scene?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Archived] Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (open matte) [Fundamental Collection™ #013] spoRv 60 51,669 2023-12-30, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Archived] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (open matte) [Fundamental Collection™ #017] spoRv 8 9,158 2023-12-20, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [Cancelled] Evil Dead Regrade (Japanese Herald Laserdisc) PDB 97 77,255 2023-04-23, 10:49 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Cancelled] Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD and LD) PDB 344 334,456 2022-05-01, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Canceled] Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (IMAX Recreation) PDB 168 148,064 2022-02-22, 10:41 PM
Last Post: arriflexicution
  [Archived] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1(open matte) [Fundamental Collection™#019] spoRv 9 9,786 2022-02-16, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Hitcher
  [Cancelled] Fight Club Open Matte (and OAR Old Master) PDB 82 44,512 2022-02-01, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Yondu
  [Canceled] Zodiac Theatrical Cut (Quick Project) PDB 13 7,527 2021-11-21, 11:19 PM
Last Post: MrBrown
  [Canceled] Die Hard 2 35mm Regrade (The 35 Project) PDB 119 113,624 2021-01-26, 02:53 AM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Tremors Regrade (Project CRT #0 v1.0) PDB 50 19,999 2020-12-17, 10:14 PM
Last Post: BDgeek