Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Canceled] Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (IMAX Recreation)
It seems others have been able to create this project before the completion of this one. So I'm officially canceling it.

[Image: 6502892257_bfecca60d9_b.jpg]

Project Info:
I, like many, assumed that there would eventually be a IMAX version Of Ghost Protocol on Blu-ray. With movie number 5 being released on home video soon, one might think it would on been released by now. Compound that with the fact that the director has expressed he prefers the 2.35 version only for Blu-ray, it appears that an IMAX version is not going to happen anytime soon. So I thought this would make a good project.

When MI4 aired on pay cable TV in the US it was in 16:9 and while the 2.35 scenes were cropped, the IMAX scenes were expanded to the full 1.77 frame. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the initial logo/bug free broadcast but later acquire the FXX broadcast which has a logo. Further I acquired the Telemundo broadcast which is also bugged but in a different place. I was hoping to combined these two to remove the logo from the FXX broadcast but the Telelmundo broadcast has some of the worst compression (among many other problems) making the matching difficult (see the logo removal thread).

I gave up on this project for a while but came back to it now. By blurring the Telemundo braodcast and duplication of certain frames to remove bad compression, I think I have gotten better results then my first attempt. Further re-graining (both HDTV versions were de-graining a bit) helped to further cover up the merge. I think I can now get about 85% to 95% there in hiding the logo, so I am going to release a version 1.0 of this project till a better HDTV (ie logo free) shows up. Its far from perfect but should make for a good watch.

Video:
Video from the US Blu-ray with IMAX scenes from the FXX HDTV broadcast and Telemundo HDTV braodcast

Audio:
DTS-HD MA 5.1 From the Blu-ray

Subtitles:
TDB

Output:
MKV compatible within the spec for a 25GB BD

Pics:
BD/IMAX Version
[Image: comapre_mi.jpg]

jedeitor: Big thanks for removing the logo and fixing the frames I couldn't
jerryshadoe: For testing, advice and insight
Thanks given by: monkeenuts2000 , FanAlex
I remember discussing this one with you and even looking through your sample clip, where I pointed out a lot of issues. I must say, based on these screenshots, that you have substantially improved the quality. Very nice job man. Looking forward to seeing this in motion.
Thanks given by:
Damn PDB this is turning into a excellent looking project! So you pretty much figured out the logo removal process?

Film Addict    
Thanks given by:
(2015-10-29, 07:10 PM)jerryshadoe Wrote: I remember discussing this one with you and even looking through your sample clip, where I pointed out a lot of issues. I must say, based on these screenshots, that you have substantially improved the quality. Very nice job man. Looking forward to seeing this in motion.

Yep, after you went through that sample, I re-did the alignment of the two HDTV broadcasts frame by frame and got it a little better results. I appreciate you looking at it.

(2015-10-29, 07:17 PM)DoomBot Wrote: Damn PDB this is turning into a excellent looking project! So you pretty much figured out the logo removal process?

Thanks, Doom. I chose those pics at random but there are others not as good. Fast motion areas are worse but hopefully I was able to cover them up. Wink

Hopefully, You'll take a look at the test version.
Thanks given by:
Yeah man, if you need me to take a look at your new sample, I'm happy to helpWink
Thanks given by:
(2015-10-29, 09:25 PM)jerryshadoe Wrote: Yeah man, if you need me to take a look at your new sample, I'm happy to helpWink

Thanks jerry. Some more pics:

BR/IMAX
[Image: compar_mi_2.jpg]

You can notice in these two that the 2.35 is not a straight extraction from the IMAX frame. And in the first 2.35 one it goes a little higher up the IMAX frame then the 16:9 but then you lose the fleeing people.

I have one sequence that I don't have duplicate frames for. I tried removing the logo with Photoshop but its a no go. So, If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. It is about 10 seconds.
Thanks given by:
When I needed some lettering removed for my WATWD project (which, yes, I will be resuming before the end of the year) I ended up getting some help and awesome results from jedeitor. He was last logged in about a week ago and maybe if you PM him, the next time he's online he will see it. Whether he will help, I'm not sure, but he impressed me with his skills.

EDIT: yeah, that shots you posted above, also look very niceWink
Thanks given by:
(2015-10-31, 12:57 AM)jerryshadoe Wrote: When I needed some lettering removed for my WATWD project (which, yes, I will be resuming before the end of the year) I ended up getting some help and awesome results from jedeitor. He was last logged in about a week ago and maybe if you PM him, the next time he's online he will see it. Whether he will help, I'm not sure, but he impressed me with his skills.

EDIT: yeah, that shots you posted above, also look very niceWink

Thanks jerry. I''ll give him a buzz. Sorry for the late response. I was seeing if I could come up with a way to solve this problem. I have run through and fixed everything except 42 frames in the one sequence. I faked about 6 of those but still more to go.

Ok I also need people's opinion. I found an alternative shot and line. I need to know which to use. In the theatrical and Blu-ray, when Brandt says your line is not long enough, Hunt says "No shit". It looks like this in the Blu-ray:

[Image: migp_01_01_49_03_Still128.png]

and this on the Telemundo HDTV:

[Image: migp_01_01_51_08_Still126.png]

but for the FXX HDTV there is an alternative shot:

[Image: migp_01_01_49_03_Still127.png]

and his response is "I know". Clearly this was shot as alternative for the language.

So which should I use? The theatrical or the alternative? I always go with the theatrical but the alternative is a rare thing.
Thanks given by:
I'd say the theatrical - aren't we trying to recreate the IMAX theatrical version? Also, the it would be easier to remove the bug from the Telemundo version, using picture from the Blu-Ray.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Servo, that's what my gut is saying.

I rather use the FXX in all scenes because of its better compression but since there is not a lot of movement, the Telemundo will work in this case. That and I have no choice.

I left easy a long time ago.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Canceled] Zodiac Theatrical Cut (Quick Project) PDB 13 7,502 2021-11-21, 11:19 PM
Last Post: MrBrown
  [Canceled] The Abyss Open Matte and Regrade PDB 77 41,535 2021-07-02, 12:17 AM
Last Post: jouna
  [Canceled] Die Hard 2 35mm Regrade (The 35 Project) PDB 119 113,455 2021-01-26, 02:53 AM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Tremors Regrade (Project CRT #0 v1.0) PDB 50 19,910 2020-12-17, 10:14 PM
Last Post: BDgeek
  [Canceled] Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc) PDB 15 12,072 2020-01-13, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Canceled] Aliens TV Cut and Theatrical Regrade (Fox THX Laserdisc) PDB 245 243,192 2019-07-23, 07:09 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Batman (1989) - Open Matte (Upscale Project ) PDB 65 67,112 2019-07-13, 01:08 PM
Last Post: FrankT
  [Canceled] Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan Regrade (Paramount Widescreen Laserdisc) PDB 30 22,808 2019-01-15, 08:52 AM
Last Post: CaveDoctor
  [Canceled] The Great Escape HDTV Version PDB 16 10,714 2018-12-25, 11:51 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Canceled] 2001 Regrade (Criterion Laserdisc) PDB 48 41,955 2018-10-30, 10:15 AM
Last Post: FrankT