Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
[Completed/Released] Wizarding World: Ultimate Definitive Edition
Video 
[Image: 8kFhCwI.png]

This is meant to be a definitive version package for the Wizarding World movies and took 2 years to make.
These versions include maximum picture, through overlaying all the different sources (Widescreen and Open Matte DVD and WEB masters), maximum runtime by restoring deleted and extended scenes (credit for some of the restored VFX scenes by JJPotter in FB1,3 & HP 3&7a). 5.1 Audio, and everything enhanced to true sharp 4K thanks to A.I., all encoded in very high bitrate H.265 for maximum quality preservation (70~100GB+/movie).
Theatricals Total Runtime: 26 hours, 29 minutes, 7 seconds
Extended Total Runtime: 28 hours, 4 minutes, 51 seconds
You get 01:35:44 hours of extended scenes. That's nearly a whole film's worth of extra content.

[Image: x0hoZUx.png][Image: WQL3o2Q.png][Image: XizlezK.jpg][Image: o25aVqK.png][Image: FpAGk9n.png][Image: IEYjiyH.png][Image: IqqGCyP.png][Image: VQmGTwy.png][Image: KCxUEl1.png][Image: lLkYL2b.png][Image: MwBJinw.png]

Full resolution Comparisons:
Not only you can see more picture and detail, but you'll notice that many of the 4K masters are overexposed to the point detail gets completely blown away in brighter spots. 
Manual color correction was also done in many scenes to fix shortcomings of the official 4K BDs. Like the Slytherin common room being actually green instead of blue in CoS, as it was on the normal BD, something they messed up later regrading the movie for 4K. Many more small instances like these are scattered throughout the pack.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Notes:
Code:
These releases includes:
• 4 Versions, Theatrical & Extended, with proper SDR and HDR masters for each.
• 4K Picture in Ultra HD Blu-Ray bitrate.
• Dynamic Aspect Ratio
• Maximum Expanded Ratio, more picture than ever seen before at once, achieved through the overlaying of multiple sources.
• Fully Subtitled
• Lossless 7.1 Audio for theatrical and 5.1 for Extended.
These are not perfect by any means nor will I pretend they are, so please DO NOT pester this thread pointing out stuff, it's a waste of your energy and time. I am aware of everything and I will likely never revisit this again. This is offered as it is. Know that I have done my absolute best, any present issues that remain simply mean I could not do anything about, didn't have the skills, resources, technology, or wasn't humanely reasonable trying to tackle (unfinished VFX in some deleted scenes, colors, detail and frame discrepancies in-between sources too stark to adjust/blend etc). 
I will also probably never make v2s. Though if anyone feels like they can improve and build on this work they are free to do so, as long as credit is given.

FAQ:

-Why are there weird blurred rectangles at the corners of most scenes?
~Basic geometry, the extra picture is achieved by overlaying different sources with different ARs (DVD, BD, 16:9 Open Matte, check https://imgsli.com/MzQ1NjI/2/1), the areas of the picture that isn't covered by any of the sources remains blank but is filled through a technique called "ambilight". As mentioned one of the main points of this project is to present as much picture publicly made available throughout all formats.

-Why are FB 1, 3 and HP3 only in 1600p
~These movies were not released in true open matte formats anywhere, meaning no extra picture can be restored. Yes there is an amazon copy of HP3 labelled as "Open Matte" but that is entirely pan&scan. Meaning no extra picture compared to the widescreen version is present at any point. Also 1600p and not 2160p because 2160p-black bars=1600p, since I encoded these while cropping out the black bars, so that the bitrate is focused on the actual picture and not spread and wasted on the black bars, causing also unnecessary size bloat. 

-Why isn't the audio for the extended versions in 7.1?
~I don't have the means to work in 7.1.

-Why is the AR (Aspect Ratio) shifting almost every scene?
~Please refer to FAQ point 1. Again has to do with basic geometry and the way the different open matte masters were framed related to each other. This is called Dynamic AR. What you should know most importantly is that the AR shifts in order to fit and make sure absolutely all picture available is shown at all times. There is no cropping at any point. Unlike in all singular official releases. Example: Widescreen has horizontal picture Open Matte DVD doesn't. DVD has vertical Picture the WS and 16:9 Open Matte doesn't, and vice-versa respectively. This version combines all of them and you are always 100% sure you see everything at all times in every single scene.

-Why do some scenes appear darker and duller in the preview screenshots?
~As mentioned the screenshots used for the comparisons are done with automatic HDR to SDR mapping by MadVR, so color and brightness representation isn't accurate in these screens. The HDR copies will look exactly as intended on an HDR screen. If you don't have an HDR compatible screen and player, I advise you watch the SDR masters, which I also included. 
The TrueMAX HDR masters were graded at around 1K nits, compared to the ~300-600 range on the 4K BDs. So the screenshots appear darker compared to the 4K BDs after going through MadVR SDRtoHDR which was used for the sake of making these comparisons. Ideally I would had used screenshots from the SDR masters, but since there are no official 4K BD SDR releases, it was fairer to compare both TrueMAX and 4K BD in their (SDR approximate) HDR forms. This is also why some details in the darker area might seem crushed in TrueMAX as compared to the 4K BD, but in reality they are not, and it's just as a result of the compromise MadVR had to make to convert the image from HDR to SDR. 
However, on the opposite side of this, I checked and the details lost in the bright overexposed areas of the 4K BD do remain lost even when watching on an HDR screen. 
Moral of the story: With TrueMAX you get both best shadow and light definition. Nothing is overexposed (like in the 4K BD), nothing is crushed.

Screenshots:
(sourced from HDR masters then tonemapped to SDR with MadVR)
[Image: VU5Hini.jpg][Image: DVBmYDm.jpg][Image: NpRa4C3.jpg][Image: AppifoR.jpg][Image: yMWzuL2.jpg][Image: HUlW9CJ.png][Image: 9I3Rq6l.jpg][Image: f7haKkf.jpg][Image: TrnBT3U.jpg][Image: ZVIXFc9.png][Image: WBaRwjy.jpg]

IMPORTANT:
If you want to make an encode of these files to put out elsewhere, contact me first and please credit and include this post's information.
Very special thanks to mgold for the Fullscreen DVDs, fres202 for his tapes, JJPotter and his edits (check them out), and SHM for hosting.
I think we talked on OT Forums, but to clarify what I've got:

NOT the Freeform version. I have the raw cap of ABC's open matte broadcast of the extended cut with those scenes.

It will need serious clean up (maybe even frame by frame work) because of macroblocking, 59.97i framerate (iirc), uncorrected color timing, and some occasional random macroblocks that will just pop in and screw up a shot. Oh, and logos, and screen bugs from the network and local station.

So, yeah, it's crap, but if you can get me a list of the deleted scenes you need, I can see what I can put together for you.
Thanks given by: Klexos
(2020-12-23, 09:00 AM)Doctor M Wrote: I think we talked on OT Forums, but to clarify what I've got:

NOT the Freeform version. I have the raw cap of ABC's open matte broadcast of the extended cut with those scenes.

It will need serious clean up (maybe even frame by frame work) because of macroblocking, 59.97i framerate (iirc), uncorrected color timing, and some occasional random macroblocks that will just pop in and screw up a shot. Oh, and logos, and screen bugs from the network and local station.

So, yeah, it's crap, but if you can get me a list of the deleted scenes you need, I can see what I can put together for you.

Thanks! If I fail to get the freeform copy for CoS, despite the issues you mentioned your copy could still be used as the next best thing to cross overlay with the SyFy one to hide the logo, so I only need to use a little piece in the corner where the SyFy logo is.
Thanks given by:
Really cool project, can't wait to see your PoA Ultimate Definitive Edition (hope it's the theatrical cut)!!!
(2020-12-24, 09:45 AM)myllaki Wrote: Really cool project, can't wait to see your PoA Ultimate Definitive Edition (hope it's the theatrical cut)!!!

Thank you! I'll be making both Theatrical and Extended versions! Sadly PoA Open Matte copies don't seem to have almost any extra picture and are for the most part Pan&Scan. It's really the odd one out of the bunch as all the other movies have extra picture in their open matte versions in considerable quantity.
Thanks given by:
(2020-12-24, 12:04 PM)Klexos Wrote: Sadly PoA Open Matte copies don't seem to have almost any extra picture and are for the most part Pan&Scan. It's really the odd one out of the bunch as all the other movies have extra picture in their open matte versions in considerable quantity.

That's probably the director's discretion. The first two movies framed things loosely so that it could be cropped well to home video; they're basically the same movies in both widescreen and fullscreen. On Azkaban they were much more deliberate about placing the action on either extreme of the frame. So if a real open matte master was never made back then (because it wasn't necessary -- it wouldn't have been the basis for the DVD because it was also pan-and-scan) Warner may just not have one on hand. I don't know why they have an "open matte" copy in the first place and don't send the 2:35 to these stations instead, unless it's to compromise with channels which have a 1:78 policy.
Thanks given by: Klexos , myllaki
(2020-12-24, 10:05 PM)Lio Wrote:
(2020-12-24, 12:04 PM)Klexos Wrote: Sadly PoA Open Matte copies don't seem to have almost any extra picture and are for the most part Pan&Scan. It's really the odd one out of the bunch as all the other movies have extra picture in their open matte versions in considerable quantity.

That's probably the director's discretion. The first two movies framed things loosely so that it could be cropped well to home video; they're basically the same movies in both widescreen and fullscreen. On Azkaban they were much more deliberate about placing the action on either extreme of the frame. So if a real open matte master was never made back then (because it wasn't necessary -- it wouldn't have been the basis for the DVD because it was also pan-and-scan) Warner may just not have one on hand. I don't know why they have an "open matte" copy in the first place and don't send the 2:35 to these stations instead, unless it's to compromise with channels which have a 1:78 policy.

That makes absolute sense yeah, thank you!
Also, my friend is recording the Christmas airings on SyFy and so far sadly they seem to be as the webs on their website. Meaning 1-2 so far are widescreen and not OM. Meaning getting the freeform versions is mandatory and even then I won't be able to mask the logo seamlessly for these two due to not having another source with the logo in a different position.
I heard these OM extended copies went to HULU for a while after leaving Freeform. Wish someone had gotten them but I don't think anyone did. They might have been actually logoless. A missed opportunity there.
Thanks given by:
I wish there was something I could bring to this project. You'll have to make do with my support!

May I ask what you're going to do on the audio front? Considering that the deleted scenes probably have some very poor lossy Stereo compared the healthier lossless options the films have.
(2020-12-29, 11:32 AM)Kynch Wrote: I wish there was something I could bring to this project. You'll have to make do with my support!

May I ask what you're going to do on the audio front? Considering that the deleted scenes probably have some very poor lossy Stereo compared the healthier lossless options the films have.

I actually don't know how I'll deal with that yet. I'm trying to focus on one beast at the time. But I do intend to preserve the 7.1 track used on the 4K release and I'll do my very best to make the transitions between stereo audio for these scenes as seamless as possible. Though, until I get those freeform copies I won't be even able to do the extended versions at all Sad
Thanks given by: Kynch
A bit of news. I cross-checked the Syfy/USA extended scenes with the ones from the BD and it seems all extra scenes from #3 onwards are actually Pan&Scan. This eliminates the need for the Freeform copies besides the first two movies which we know for sure have Open Matted Extended scenes thanks to fres202's screenshots. I updated the spreadsheet as well.
Also, I can confirm now for sure that for #3 neither the DVD nor AMZN OM versions have any extra picture at any point. Meaning the Definitive Theatrical version for PoA is safely the 4K BD version. Guess this one will be quick work as I will only need to put together an extended version.
Thanks given by: Kynch , interaser , myllaki

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [In progress] Zack Snyder's Justice League Ultimate Edition franzkfk 31 11,768 2024-02-21, 10:28 PM
Last Post: franzkfk
  [In progress] Akira (definitive version) - 47 audios | 22 languages | 35 dubbing | 54 subtitles metahades 1 1,037 2023-04-02, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  The Killer - Ultimate Edition CSchmidlapp 40 43,523 2020-09-17, 07:01 PM
Last Post: NiceNightForAWalk
  [In progress] Shaolin Soccer Original DUB Edition JackReacher 1 2,568 2019-12-07, 08:44 AM
Last Post: JackReacher
Video Back To The Future - To Be Continued Edition ilovewaterslides 21 22,513 2018-01-02, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Beber
  [In progress] Stargate - Fan Edit Extended Edition Restoration Ronster 10 9,891 2017-08-10, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Ronster
  The Devil's Advocate "Uncensored" Edition + Extended Edition 1080p BD project jerryshadoe 9 11,434 2017-07-19, 03:40 PM
Last Post: spoRv