Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Canceled] Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc)
[Image: 2r0PtDs.png]

Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc v1.0)

Project Info:

This posting is in the proposal section in order to gather more information. Think of it as a place holder for now as I finish other projects.

I had completed a T2 project (never released) which attempted to grade the movie as close to multiple 35mm sources as possible. This project will go in the opposite direction. There has been a fascination with the color scheme of the Japanese squeeze laserdisc for some time. Rumor has that the colors were so odd that Cameron wanted a corrected reissue and got one.

Having always wanted to see it, I was happy that kchrules from the ot made a copy to share. Having seen it, I can it is seemly inaccurate but very interesting. Interesting enough to preserve in a project. So that’s this project; to regrade the current BD to the Japanese squeeze laserdisc. It's also meant to be a test for new techniques.

Couple of issues. First, the LD is very dark overall or at least the capture is. Sometimes it’s as bright, but often not. So I will raise the levels to be more pleasing to the eye. Second kchrules cap has a strange issues including a bad framerate. So in order to frame match it to the BD, I have to cut out or duplicate a lot of frames by hand. It's a bit of a mess and will take a while to fix without another cap. Finally, I will re-grain the BD with appropriate s35 grain

Video:
The theatrical cut BD regrade to the 1st generation Japanese squeeze LD outputted to a BD formated MKV

(And possibly the theatrical cut UHDBD regrade to the 1st generation Japanese squeeze LD outputted to a UHDBD/SDR formatted MKV)

Audio:
1. DTS 5.1: This is the CDS mix capped by MrBrown and re-synced by Chewtobacca
2. PCM 2.0 of the CDs mix?

Pics:

Rough Test
BD/Regrade
[Image: oFztCGC.jpg]

Collaborators and Thanks (In order of help):
kchrules: for a cap of the squeeze LD
MrBrown/Chewtobacca: for the CDS mix and sync
MrBrown: for additional help.
Thanks given by: applesandrice , nafroe , Nicky90 , siaman
Although I'm not particularly looking into getting a download for this, I do have to commend your efforts: The laserdisc you color referenced is certainly a fascinating oddity and your mimicry appears to be quite well done.
[Image: ivwz24G.jpg]
Thanks given by: PDB
I love it!

It could be cool if we had a bit perfect capture of that LD AC3 to go with it, as well as the mono track on the analog channel.

Great way to watch T2 looking different, and love the colors so far.

I'm willing to sync any other track, I have DTS french Dolby Surround and DD spanish dolby Surround, these tracks are lost in time so they would make nice additions along with the subtitles.
Thanks given by: PDB
(2019-04-05, 07:34 AM)Stamper Wrote: I love it!

It could be cool if we had a bit perfect capture of that LD AC3 to go with it, as well as the mono track on the analog channel.

Great way to watch T2 looking different, and love the colors so far.

I'm willing to sync any other track, I have DTS french Dolby Surround and DD spanish dolby Surround, these tracks are lost in time so they would make nice additions along with the subtitles.

If you want to sync them, I'll add them. I'd like to find a PCM CDS English soundtrack also but not a big deal at the moment
Thanks given by: nafroe
Although the colours look nice, even with added grain the 2017 release just looks bad because of the DNR Woo
Thanks given by: dvdmike
Quote:Rumor has that the colors were so odd that Cameron wanted a corrected reissue and got one

I heard slightly different. Apparently the source for this transfer did not have a final 'Cameron approved' colour grade. Makes me think if it was an slightly early version of the film before the final print was struck.

However, appreciated the work gone into this. when I get round to building my media centre I look forward to downloading these for my collection.
Thanks given by:
Silberman finally looks less oversharpened.

I suggest PDB maybe use a slight filter to reduce the sharpness.

Making the image softer will help you making it look more life film.

It could be cool to re-render the opening shot so that the pink laser at the beginning is back. Should be easy.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-09, 02:21 PM)Bigrob Wrote:
Quote:Rumor has that the colors were so odd that Cameron wanted a corrected reissue and got one

I heard slightly different. Apparently the source for this transfer did not have a final 'Cameron approved' colour grade. Makes me think if it was an slightly early version of the film before the final print was struck.

What is strange is that the MUSE Hi-Vision LD (which shared the same master) was never recalled or replaced. Perhaps it was considered too 'niche' to worry about.
Thanks given by:
I think this was an asnwer print mistakenly sent overseas.

Quote:An answer print is the first version of a given motion picture that is printed to film after color correction on an interpositive. It is also the first version of the movie printed to film with the sound properly synced to the picture.[1]

Answer prints are created during the post-production process after editing, dubbing and other related audio work and special effects sequences have been finished or completed to a degree satisfactory for pre-release viewing. They are used by the filmmaker and studio to ensure that the work going into the film during the post-production process is cohesive with the final goals for the project. In effect, it is a post-edit editing where the filmmaker can observe and direct the course of the film's final look and feel as it pertains to color correction, sound and special effects elements and overall pacing. Pre-release screenings for test audiences are often run from late answer print copies of the film, because often the filmmaker is using the screening as a way to help direct final choices regarding the finished project.

When the last answer print is approved and finalized, it is used to make an internegative from which the release prints are struck.
Thanks given by:
Still think it's the best version
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Cancelled] Evil Dead Regrade (Japanese Herald Laserdisc) PDB 97 76,814 2023-04-23, 10:49 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Cancelled] Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD and LD) PDB 344 333,253 2022-05-01, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Canceled] Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (IMAX Recreation) PDB 168 147,426 2022-02-22, 10:41 PM
Last Post: arriflexicution
  [Canceled] Zodiac Theatrical Cut (Quick Project) PDB 13 7,481 2021-11-21, 11:19 PM
Last Post: MrBrown
  [Canceled] The Abyss Open Matte and Regrade PDB 77 41,411 2021-07-02, 12:17 AM
Last Post: jouna
  [Canceled] Die Hard 2 35mm Regrade (The 35 Project) PDB 119 113,228 2021-01-26, 02:53 AM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Tremors Regrade (Project CRT #0 v1.0) PDB 50 19,838 2020-12-17, 10:14 PM
Last Post: BDgeek
  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Regrade FrankT 46 41,616 2020-06-25, 03:08 PM
Last Post: workprint-lover-and-wanter
  [Canceled] Aliens TV Cut and Theatrical Regrade (Fox THX Laserdisc) PDB 245 242,578 2019-07-23, 07:09 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Batman (1989) - Open Matte (Upscale Project ) PDB 65 66,939 2019-07-13, 01:08 PM
Last Post: FrankT