Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MUSE Hi-Vision LD movie sample: Jurassic Park
Video 
http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=73635#p73635

It's incorrectly encoded, but still a treat to watch. The poster requested help from those well-versed in Blu-ray authoring, so perhaps someone here can provide assistance.
Thanks given by:
Well that was interesting to watch...

Not the best quality by today's standard's, but for when it came out - WOW!

It would still be kinda cool to have a BD authored that contains the entire capture. On that note, I would also love to see the Top Gun, Twins, and BTTF Trilogy preserved from those Muse Hi-Vision LDs. It amazes me how expensive the discs are to this day. I recently saw one of them sell for over $500Eyedrop
Thanks given by:
Thanks for posted drngr. I had forgotten all about that project. I figure substance had given up.

Definitely an interesting curiosity to see
Thanks given by:
Wow! I couldn't wait to see an Hi-Vision sample. Analogue HD! So freaking beautiful! A full capture of BTTF II & III then maybe E.T. would be more than welcome I guess Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I lost this thread at the time! Now, the file is still there, and I'm curious to watch it, but I can't download it... it starts, but after few minutes it stops, every time... I tried to retrieve the direct link to the file, but have not luck.

Could someone find that link, so I can use it with Jdownloader, or Orbit, and have a chance to restart the download eventually?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 12:41 AM)spoRv Wrote: I lost this thread at the time! Now, the file is still there, and I'm curious to watch it, but I can't download it... it starts, but after few minutes it stops, every time... I tried to retrieve the direct link to the file, but have not luck.

Could someone find that link, so I can use it with Jdownloader, or Orbit, and have a chance to restart the download eventually?

Thanks!

After much wrangling I was able to download from Dropbox, I've remuxed the .m4v file into an mkv container and I'm uploading it now to mega. I will post a link once it's up.
Thanks given by: spoRv
How does it compare to the Blu-ray? Or even D-VHS?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 06:40 PM)FrankT Wrote: How does it compare to the Blu-ray? Or even D-VHS?

Unfortunately no one can be told what MUSE Hi-Vision looks like, you have to see it with your own eyes...

https://mega.nz/#!nUY3lIbb!G0qOxhWQKv7jP...MILKbj5dqU

It needs an IVTC that's for sure. I'm guessing the audio was distorted during capture
Thanks given by:
First of all, thanks to substance (the original poster on LDDB) and zoidberg to have reposted it!

OK, some thoughts. I never see a MUSE laserdisc, so I'm not an expert, but I'm into the laserdisc world since 1995, and I think I know something about analog video... my considerations are based solely on this capture, but I can't be sure some of the problems are due to the format itself, the disc, the player, the capture card, the codec, or more than one of the previous facts... well, let's start anyway!

Resolution: you can notice it is windowboxed; I'm pretty sure that, watched in an analog CRT HDTV display, the overscan will do its job, and the actual image "should" cover all the visible display area; it could not be considered a flaw, just a format feature; even if, when captured, the image is around 1880x1030 pixels, effective resolution is lower; according to the Kell factor, the vertical STATIC resolution should be not less than 720 pixels, while horizontal one should be around... guess what? 1280! So, luma would be at least 1280x720, while chroma resolution is way lower - maybe 500 pixels max! Way better than any laserdisc, and close to the 640 pixels of a digital 4:2:0 video. Not bad at all! But, because MUSE is an analog compressed format, it suffers most in the very high motion scenes; the resolution drops considerably in such scenes, but if you think that many good HDTV digital displays, even today, have 300 lines of motion resolution, again, it's a very good result for an analog high definition format more than two decades old!

Colors: reading reviews on the web, I'm aware that some MUSE laserdiscs suffers of some sort of green tint problem; this doesn't seem the case; colors are vibrant, full, never dull like in many NTSC laserdiscs, and they do not bleed; in this case, we have a different grading in comparison to HDTV broadcast recoding (WOWOW, Canal+, Sky, Mediaset) (and subsequenially to 2D BD, PAL/NTSC laserdiscs and DVDs, as they have similar gradings). I like the MUSE one very much; can't say, as usual, if it's the "right" one, but it seems to have a certain print feel in some way... I think it could be used as a color reference for a restoration.

Audio: I noted some artefacts here and there, but probably, as zoidberg wrote, it's not the format nor the disc, but the capture card or recording process, or else; apart those, audio is quite clean, and I think could be comparable to a PCM laserdisc track, or lossy AC3 and even DTS - just a theory based onto technical data, because the capture has a compressed 2.0 AC3 track, where the disc could have 4 channels not so compressed.

Other: there is a lot of ghosting, noticeable in particular on very colorful parts of the image, and it goes in the right direction; again, don't know if it's a disc, player, format, or capture fault; in motion, is not that bad, and, after all, it's just an analog format, the best I suspect, to watch (the very few released) movies. Then, there is the most interesting fact: don't know if it's all its merit, or the fact I watch it on a PDP display, but the image is very tridimensional! Really... in some moments, it seems to watch a 3D movie, but without glasses! Don't know how, and why, but it works!

Conclusions: I, for sure, will never spend few hundred bucks for a MUSE disc, because I can have a better quality buying a BD for a fraction of the cost; so, the cost/quality ratio is not that good. BUT... the overall quality, even today with UHDTV availble, it's still impressive; I can say it could be placed between an anamorphic DVD and a 720p broadcast (as I haven't seen a 720p Blu-ray, and you?); yes, it's not progressive, it has its flaws, but it's a very rewarding experience to watch the only analog high definition video format in action!
Thanks given by:
It is an interesting beast, analogue video, I only watched this sample on my PC monitor but I may try it on my projector at some point, it has much better signal processing and excellent black floor. My old pioneer laserdisc player always looked better viewed through a CRT set than through digital displays, unless of course they were good with composite video (which so few displays are these days).
Is anyone here active on lddb? It would be great if the OP of the video was able to complete this, possibly even other titles. MUSE has such a unique place in video history, not only the first HD format but analogue, years before anything else and it was even broadcast via satellite I believe. It also had the effect of improving playback of even SD Laserdiscs due to the improved laser pick-up.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jurassic Park - Mixes & Myths Turisu 55 15,734 2023-05-29, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Lucidae
Question Need advice on location changes in the movie Bilbofett 0 896 2022-05-29, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Bilbofett
  Superman: The Movie 4K NeonBible 67 39,397 2021-08-30, 04:33 AM
Last Post: captainsolo
  textless movie intro?!? spoRv 13 12,543 2020-08-02, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Beber
  [Help] Jurassic Park: The Lost World Extended Cut spoRv 5 4,918 2020-04-16, 11:34 PM
Last Post: OogieBoogie
  Jurassic Park saga - theatrical colors spoRv 9 11,299 2020-03-26, 04:33 AM
Last Post: marin888
  Robotech the movie (1986) Fan restoration project Kalhi Balto 7 6,658 2018-12-02, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Kalhi Balto
  Superman the Movie Silver Screen Edition Booshman 8 10,062 2018-10-01, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Booshman
  Jurassic Park trilogy on UHD BD spoRv 16 12,378 2018-06-01, 04:32 AM
Last Post: Synnove
  Sony PSP UMD movie discs SilverWook 23 20,555 2018-02-27, 04:54 AM
Last Post: nafroe