Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VHS Audio Question
Hi All,

Probably a daft question. 

I've done a few projects where I'm preserving some movies that have only been released on VHS. I've used a professional company with high spec equipment to capture them and they have been saved as very large prores files.

In terms of the audio, would it be worth creating DTS HD files? I don't know much about audio but I presume VHS is lossless like laserdiscs? Or will it make no difference and I should just go with AC3? 

Thanks
Thanks given by:
DTS-HD is overkill, go with PCM as these VHS are all stereo.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Stamper will do.
Thanks given by:
If they're Hi-Fi tapes I think the quality can be pretty good and worth saving losslessly imo. However to say that tapes are entirely lossless is wrong, it's an analogue format, not digital like Laserdisc PCM tracks. Laserdiscs can have both analogue and digital tracks, VHS are all analogue afaik. With that said, the loss of a VHS tape is not comparable to a lossy codec. A lossy codec just throws away a lot of information like high frequency content, where the lossiness of a VHS tape means that - over longer time - you may get gradual degradation/stronger noise. Like an older vinyl record can pick up a few crackles and pops over time, but the audio still can sound excellent.

Hell, I'd save lossless even for a non-Hifi tape. You never know, someday someone may invent a method to do really nice audio enhancement or noise reduction and then people can do that with your restoration, where the options would be more limited with a lossy codec. The advancements of machine learning have been pretty impressive so far, for example, I can imagine very advanced restoration algorithms to come out in the coming decades.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info TomArrow, I'll go for lossless.
Thanks given by:
For my VHS audio capture I always use PCM 16-bit or even better 32-bit if I need to do post-production work on them. DTS-HD would only make sense as a delivery format if you were dealing with 5.1 tracks but VHS are just stereo or mono.
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] How to apply delay to a whole video file, not just the video or audio streams? Red41804 7 527 2024-02-12, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Hitcher
Music [Help] Detect whether 2.0 Audio is Dual Mono or Stereo GjRedo 2 640 2023-12-09, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Doctor M
Question [Help] Slow down or speed up Audio for projects bendermac 18 5,231 2023-08-25, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Falcon
  [Help] 2 VHS Audio Captures to remove faults. CSchmidlapp 16 9,509 2023-07-03, 12:15 AM
Last Post: wongfeihung
  [Help] Identify and Repair an Audio Artifact axeyou 2 761 2023-06-14, 08:59 AM
Last Post: axeyou
  [Help] Automatically Sync The Audio From Another Source? Endocryne 1 1,247 2022-10-09, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Serums
  Working concept syncing different audio sources SIUse 20 7,322 2022-06-23, 05:08 PM
Last Post: alleycat
  Spek / Spectrum Analysis Question Doctor M 10 3,158 2022-03-08, 09:11 AM
  [Help] Audio Delay - What does what bendermac 1 1,220 2021-12-10, 12:37 PM
Last Post: resolution
  Need help choosing audio mixing software. Doctor M 5 2,454 2021-07-19, 03:51 AM