Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Released] The Beach (2000) Special Edition
[Image: 7pilHWCl.jpg]

The Beach is one of those movies like True Lies and The Abyss that is completely absent from Blu Ray. And whilst it's not on the same level as those movies I have a soft spot for it.

There are two different HD versions floating around, a HDTV recording in the original aspect ratio and a cropped open matte WebDL. For this project I used AutoOverlay (I actually got it to work!!) to place the WebDL on top of the HDTV, as the WebDL was higher quality. Color was matched to the HDTV, so the far left and right side of the image is from the HDTV and the rest is from the open matte. The matching worked great, aside from two shots everything lined up perfectly.

Next that file was run through upscaling/downscaling, cleaning, slight sharpening and dehaloing in AviSynth. Then into Phoenix for dirt and dust removal. Finally into After Effects for re-graining. I did not fully trust either the open matte or HDTV to have an accurate representation of the grain due to the lower quality of the clearly older master, therefore I used the match grain function and matched it to Gangs of New York - which according to imdb was shot on the same negative stock.

Thanks to @PDB for some AutoOverlay guidance.

I would have loved to get the Laserdisc audio for this but sadly it's a very rare and very expensive disc - the only one I could find was on eBay for $900! So the audio tracks and extras have all been ported over from the DVD, along with a few interviews I found on youtube. English SDH subtitles are also included, but these required a lot of manual retiming. Some appeared early, some on time and some late, it was all over the place.
  • BD25 with animated menus, background video, pop up menus and resume function
  • 1080P AVC Video
  • English AC3 5.1 448 KBPS from the DVD
  • English AC3 2.0 192 KBPS from the DVD
  • French AC3 2.0 192 KBPS from the DVD
  • Audio Commentary by Director Danny Boyle from the DVD
  • English SDH, French, German, Italian and Spanish Subtitles
  • Making Of
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Entertainment Tonight Segment
  • Take2Mark Interview
  • The Priory Segment
  • Music Video
  • Theatrical Trailers, Teaser Trailer and TV Spots

PM me for the links, contributing/long term members only please. Contributing means active members of the forum who post and/or make their own projects - i.e. not newbies who have never posted a single thread.

High Resolution cover and disc art available from @Pineapples101 Here.

Before (left) / After AutoOverlay:

[Image: mvUxZp7l.png]

Before (left) / After Dehalo:

[Image: bngx9Z5l.png]

Screenshots:

[Image: PhJK3ULl.png]
[Image: FZWRLk1l.png]
[Image: vdDAC2sl.png]
[Image: VOwq3p6l.png]
[Image: FcUdmXHl.png]

Menu Images (Low Quality):

[Image: 4NrgGVvl.jpg]
[Image: b958psal.jpg]
[Image: 3g8WeyQl.jpg]
I never knew this was another "True Lies", what the hell! Such a cult movie from 2000.
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by: alleycat
In general, the better quality for this movie is in the Amazon version of Open Matte with a bitrate of 12.9 mb and sound of 5.1 640kbps, and this is not some kind of WEBRip. For the WS version, Disney+ has better quality and is also available.
Thanks given by: SHM
(2022-10-11, 04:20 PM)maksnew Wrote: In general, the better quality for this movie is in the Amazon version of Open Matte with a bitrate of 12.9 mb and sound of 5.1 640kbps, and this is not some kind of WEBRip.  For the WS version, Disney+ has better quality and is also available.

If you wish to do the project differently then feel free to do so.
Thanks given by:
(2022-10-11, 05:25 PM)alleycat Wrote:
(2022-10-11, 04:20 PM)maksnew Wrote: In general, the better quality for this movie is in the Amazon version of Open Matte with a bitrate of 12.9 mb and sound of 5.1 640kbps, and this is not some kind of WEBRip.  For the WS version, Disney+ has better quality and is also available.

If you wish to do the project differently then feel free to do so.

If you need the sources about which I wrote above, then later I can send them to you.
Thanks given by:
Looks great Alleycat - despite being the sort of age this film was aimed at when it came out I’ve never actually seen it all the way through - just bits on TV back in the day. This project seems like the perfect reason to finally give it a watch!
Congrats on finishing the project Alleycat.
(2022-10-11, 12:36 PM)alleycat Wrote: [Image: 7pilHWCl.jpg]

The Beach is one of those movies like True Lies and The Abyss that is completely absent from Blu Ray. And whilst it's not on the same level as those movies I have a soft spot for it.

There are two different HD versions floating around, a HDTV recording in the original aspect ratio and a cropped open matte WebDL. For this project I used AutoOverlay (I actually got it to work!!) to place the WebDL on top of the HDTV, as the WebDL was higher quality. Color was matched to the HDTV, so the far left and right side of the image is from the HDTV and the rest is from the open matte. The matching worked great, aside from two shots everything lined up perfectly.

Next that file was run through upscaling/downscaling, cleaning, slight sharpening and dehaloing in AviSynth. Then into Phoenix for dirt and dust removal. Finally into After Effects for re-graining. I did not fully trust either the open matte or HDTV to have an accurate representation of the grain due to the lower quality of the clearly older master, therefore I used the match grain function and matched it to Gangs of New York - which according to imdb was shot on the same negative stock.

Thanks to @PDB for some AutoOverlay guidance.

I would have loved to get the Laserdisc audio for this but sadly it's a very rare and very expensive disc - the only one I could find was on eBay for $900! So the audio tracks and extras have all been ported over from the DVD, along with a few interviews I found on youtube. English SDH subtitles are also included, but these required a lot of manual retiming. Some appeared early, some on time and some late, it was all over the place.
  • BD25 with animated menus, background video, pop up menus and resume function
  • 1080P AVC Video
  • English AC3 5.1 448 KBPS from the DVD
  • English AC3 2.0 192 KBPS from the DVD
  • French AC3 2.0 192 KBPS from the DVD
  • Audio Commentary by Director Danny Boyle from the DVD
  • English SDH, French, German, Italian and Spanish Subtitles
  • Making Of
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Entertainment Tonight Segment
  • Take2Mark Interview
  • The Priory Segment
  • Music Video
  • Theatrical Trailers, Teaser Trailer and TV Spots

PM me for the links, contributing/long term members only please. Contributing means active members of the forum who post and/or make their own projects - i.e. not newbies who have never posted a single thread.

High Resolution cover and disc art available from @Pineapples101 Here.

Before (left) / After AutoOverlay:

[Image: mvUxZp7l.png]

Before (left) / After Dehalo:

[Image: bngx9Z5l.png]

Screenshots:

[Image: PhJK3ULl.png]
[Image: FZWRLk1l.png]
[Image: vdDAC2sl.png]
[Image: VOwq3p6l.png]
[Image: FcUdmXHl.png]

Menu Images (Low Quality):

[Image: 4NrgGVvl.jpg]
[Image: b958psal.jpg]
[Image: 3g8WeyQl.jpg]

Thank you for making this edit and your hard work. Can I have a link for your edit, please
Thanks given by:
Did you ever compare this to the OAR web-dl from D+?
https://slow.pics/c/qaYfuIzx
Thanks given by:
(2022-12-27, 11:58 AM)Yarp Wrote: Did you ever compare this to the OAR web-dl from D+?
https://slow.pics/c/qaYfuIzx

No I never looked at it, this is combination of the Amazon OM and the OAR FGT. I do recall the FGT having more image on the left and right than the Focus did.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Special Longer Version HD Recreation TheLoon 84 31,236 2024-04-13, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Hitcher
  Rumble in The Bronx (紅番區), Film Whisperer special 08/20/2023 major update The Film Whisperer 26 8,494 2024-04-01, 05:13 PM
Last Post: The Film Whisperer
  [Released] Halloween (1978): Extended Edition (Remastered) kidjupiter92 4 2,033 2024-02-25, 11:30 AM
Last Post: jedihunter92
  [Released] Hard Rain Special Edition alleycat 3 328 2024-02-05, 04:44 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Released] Johnny Mnemonic Extended Edition alleycat 46 12,155 2024-02-05, 01:58 PM
Last Post: fanislive
  [Released] Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition - The Anti-DNR Fanedit iguanaclerk 3 561 2024-01-21, 02:01 PM
Last Post: HippieDalek
  Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition HD Recreation (Version 3 out now) iguanaclerk 122 70,300 2024-01-20, 09:44 AM
Last Post: iguanaclerk
Lightbulb [Released] Joker (2019) Alternate Extended Edition Fan Edit freetheworld 19 8,574 2024-01-16, 05:56 AM
Last Post: babda96
  [Released] Proof Of Life Special Edition alleycat 8 2,604 2023-07-10, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Red41804
  [Released] Turbulence Special Edition alleycat 2 1,158 2022-12-02, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Evit