Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Request] Eraserhead (1977) - Open Matte Preservation.
I’m looking for Eraserhead with the open matte seen on the VHS. If anyone has captured this on VHS or Laserdisc, I would love to see it.
Thanks given by:
there were some 4:3 DVD releases, like Scanbox DVD in UK and CJ Entertainment in south korea. Maybe one is open matted, too?
"Never cut a deal with a dragon..."
- Old Shadowrun wisdom
Thanks given by:
I have captured the Japanese LaserDisc multiple times to grab the audio, but I wasn't particularly paying attention to the video quality so it won't look amazing. And of course it has Japanese subtitles over the video in places. I believe someone else has the US version of that same LD, which of course won't have the subtitles, but they don't have the setup to capture video, just audio. I'll be syncing the audio at some point, but it's a case of having too many things to do and being indecisive about the priority in which to do them: I'm in the middle of quite a few different jobs so I'm just kind of hopping back and forth between them and inching them all closer to completion bit by bit rather than doing one thing and moving on. Partly, this is because I'm still experimenting with capture methods and testing the players I've got (I have 3 and they all have different pros and cons).
Thanks given by: koochew
I have the US LD. While I've got equipment to capture it (and audio), I wouldn't be able to do it anytime in the very near future. I'm currently capturing the audio of my whole collection (which is maybe around 150 LDs). Eventually though... I can and will capture it. Smile
Thanks given by: simpjake1999
(2020-11-07, 05:04 AM)alinskey Wrote: I have the US LD. While I've got equipment to capture it (and audio), I wouldn't be able to do it anytime in the very near future. I'm currently capturing the audio of my whole collection (which is maybe around 150 LDs). Eventually though... I can and will capture it. Smile

That’ll be great if you can capture it and send it over to me Big Grin when you’re able to do it of course. I’m a huge fan of this film and I always love to see my favourite films a different way whether it be aspect ratio changes or audio mixes.
Thanks given by: koochew
(2020-11-07, 08:14 AM)simpjake1999 Wrote:
(2020-11-07, 05:04 AM)alinskey Wrote: I have the US LD. While I've got equipment to capture it (and audio), I wouldn't be able to do it anytime in the very near future. I'm currently capturing the audio of my whole collection (which is maybe around 150 LDs). Eventually though... I can and will capture it. Smile

That’ll be great if you can capture it and send it over to me Big Grin when you’re able to do it of course. I’m a huge fan of this film and I always love to see my favourite films a different way whether it be aspect ratio changes or audio mixes.

Would love to see what this ends up looking like.
Thanks given by:
For anyone interested there is a podcast called Eli Roth's History Of Horror - on episode 8 it's an interview with Eli Roth and for part of that he talks about working with Lynch on Eraserhead. He did the restoration for the blu ray and talks about what they went through trying to find the negative and trying to convince Lynch to do a commentary track etc. It's only a small part of the episode but might be interesting to fans.
Thanks given by: pipefan413
(2020-11-06, 07:40 PM)MrBrown Wrote: there were some 4:3 DVD releases, like Scanbox DVD in UK and CJ Entertainment in south korea. Maybe one is open matted, too?

I have a 4:3 DVD, included in David Lynch's Lime Green Box. I'm still kinda new and unfamiliar so please pardon me, but how would I be able to tell if it's open matte?
I'm absolutely wiling to rip it for anyone who needs it.

Edit: Looked it up, sources say it's presented in its original 1:85 aspect ratio. I must be remembering wrong about the aspect ratio, I will check the DVD again to be sure.

Edit 2: Yeah, sources are right. I'm now pretty sure that when I watched it there was something messed up with my TV/Bluray player settings. I really should watch it again correctly now. Sorry to waste anyone's time.
Thanks given by:
Still regarding your question:
You can search for screenshots from a widescreen release online, and then compare them to your Disc. Sometimes tha Work already is done, like on caps-a-holic or other sites, that compare Discs.
as an exsample American Fighter 2: US Full Frame disc is open matte:
http://sd.caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php...eichID=331

But the Lime green version surely is not 4:3 at all:
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=4749&d2=1335&c=171
- Old Shadowrun wisdom
Thanks given by: koochew , Jrzag42
So, the Korean DVD contain a 1.33:1 full frame Version, with more on top and bottom, but also lesser Image on the sides.
- Old Shadowrun wisdom
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation open matte & full screen main thread spoRv 136 95,320 2024-02-15, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Nfsfan83
Video [Proposal] Cross of Iron (1977) grindhouse German theatrical print audio sync project Plissken1138 4 1,474 2024-01-23, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Plissken1138
  Sabrina (1995) Open Matte HDTV Falcon 0 569 2023-09-17, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Falcon
  [Help] Running Man 35mm open matte Stamper 50 20,770 2023-06-03, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Gieferg
  [Idea] Burial Ground - (Le Notti del terrore) 35mm preservation Nicky90 0 624 2023-05-12, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Nicky90
  [Idea] Terminator 2: Judgment Day Italian Audio DVD 2000 Preservation Nicky90 2 905 2023-05-06, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Nicky90
  [Request] Top Gun (1986): Ultimate Open Matte Version Hydra Spectre 9 2,779 2023-03-15, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Hydra Spectre
  [Request] Sonic the Hedgehog Movies (2020-2022) Open Matte Hydra Spectre 0 787 2023-02-27, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydra Spectre
  [Request] Adventures in Wonderland (1992-1994) preservation from Disney+? James76 1 832 2022-10-27, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Endocryne
  [Idea] The Matrix Resurrection (partly open matte) spoRv 6 2,363 2021-12-29, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Valeyard