Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] Passionnément (2000) subtitle creation
Information 
UPDATE 28-July-2024

Ok I'll try getting this rolling now. Below is an introduction to the project and instructions on how people to start volunteering.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...id=0#gid=0

Will start posting the link around forums with people interested in movies. Hopefully there is some interest.
Thanks to everyone on here. I'll keep this post updated on my progress and maybe prove this as a successful method to create subtitles to obscure movies.

---

Hello,

I'm new to this forum (and forum posting in general). If I'm doing something wrong / saying something wrong, I apologies please note it to me.

Passionnément (2000) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119866/) is an obscure French movie with Charlotte Gainsbourg and Bruno Nuytten (one of the most successful French cinematographers) as a director and writer. This is one of three films directed by him and one of which is Camille Claudel (1998) - well received and a great watch

There seems to be one way to view the movie and it's to buy the DVD from French amazon, which I purchased. It looks to be produced and distributed by Studio Canal with DVD being released in oct 2009 (I think). Googling quickly just now, there is a pirate rip uploaded to a Russian website which looks identical to my version.

I'm interested in producing French and English subtitles, as I'm not French-speaking. DVD offers only French dubbing and no subtitles.

Vanan services gave me a quote of 1020USD (discount from 1176USD just cus they're cool Big Grin ) for production of French and English captioning. Pricing is reasonable for professional captioning and matches other providers of this service, but is not really reasonable for my personal viewing.

Trying out an AI captioning service produce low quality subtitles at a fraction of the price. A French random discord user reviewed them and said some lines are nonsense.

I'm hoping there is interest in this film and some of you can guide me on how to accomplish producing the subtitles and sharing them. Again, apologies if I'm posting this in a wrong forum section.

Thank you
Thanks given by:
I tried to achieve something like this with AI tools. It's not really feasible frankly, having a person do it is really the only way to get usable results.

Do you have a college near you? Try your luck and see if there's a someone there who would be willing to do it for a few hundred bucks.
Thanks given by:
(2024-07-09, 10:03 PM)stwd4nder2 Wrote: I tried to achieve something like this with AI tools. It's not really feasible frankly, having a person do it is really the only way to get usable results.

Do you have a college near you? Try your luck and see if there's a someone there who would be willing to do it for a few hundred bucks.

I did try to find a French speaker in cinema / film buff discords interested, but I only found one guy and he says he's busy and ghosts my messages sometimes.

I'm not sure what type of college and at what level the students will be with their French and how reliable their work can be (Eastern Europe btw). I think I'll try searching for people online, thanks for suggestion. Did you end up finding someone for your project?
Thanks given by:
$1000 is really steep.
if you searched really hard for a good service/individual i'm sure you could get at worse half that price and at best for something reasonable

there's some really private communities on the internet that do translations for extremely niche films like karagarga but you have to be in the know and stuff, i don't really know much about that but it could be a possible route. a translation could also already exist but it could be inaccessible for the average person

alternatively i think the best path you could go down is getting a french transcription (preferably as a really rough barely synced .srt) and then doing the translation/syncing yourself with deepl/google translate as a fall-back. then you could get that proofread and corrected by a french/english speaker, and those corrected parts re-synced by yourself. that way you're doing a lot of the grunt work (probably something like 70-80% of it minus the transcription) and people could be possibly be more willing to help out.

i asked around somewhere if subtitles already exist, but it'll take a short while for a reply and i don't have my hopes up
either way, good luck with the translation and if you ever do get a hold of subtitles either in french or a translation, make sure to open it to opensubtitles.org for everyone!
Thanks given by: capablanca123
(2024-07-16, 10:25 PM)kiyoakiwah Wrote: i asked around somewhere if subtitles already exist, but it'll take a short while for a reply and i don't have my hopes up

nope
Thanks given by:
(2024-07-17, 07:33 PM)kiyoakiwah Wrote:
(2024-07-16, 10:25 PM)kiyoakiwah Wrote: i asked around somewhere if subtitles already exist, but it'll take a short while for a reply and i don't have my hopes up

nope

Yeah, thanks anyways man. Also thank you for reminding me private trackers exists lol -- that is certainly a venue I will try exploring.

Something I forgot to mention -- Somewhat good thing with these captions is that they seem to be synced somewhat well. So it is possibly a bit easier task and might not require someone experienced specifically in subtitle work.
Thanks given by:
subtitle edit is very easy to use, even someone unexperienced could do a basic transcription/translation. Then you could go in and do the more advanced stuff like formatting.

Side note, have you considered trying to crowdsource the cost of a professional transcription? You might be able to raise a bit if you post in the right places.
Thanks given by:
(2024-07-18, 09:48 PM)stwd4nder2 Wrote: subtitle edit is very easy to use, even someone unexperienced could do a basic transcription/translation. Then you could go in and do the more advanced stuff like formatting.

Side note, have you considered trying to crowdsource the cost of a professional transcription? You might be able to raise a bit if you post in the right places.

I have no idea how and where to start crowdsourcing and I doubt there will be enough willing people for this obscure movie.
Thanks given by:
Hi capablanca123

Talking just the English translation/subs... If you have time and patience you could offer links (on forums where you might get this kind of help) to only small chunks of movie (scenes?), ask people to translate "just this" (out of the kindness of their heart), do that over and over until the whole movie's number of scenes is done; I think someone taking time out to translate just one scene is likely to get you people coming through over and over. Far from ideal, but yeah, translating (or going through to fix a whacked AI translation) a whole movie can take a LOT of time, can easily put people off. But just requesting a scene here and there on different forums, maybe possibly bored students and such would throw just an hour into doing a scene 'cause "eh, easy, why not"...?

Of course there's a chance that different people's style of translation will vary (when you stitch them all together), but at least you have a chance of fixing varying English on your end in the end (assuming Eng is your native language), eh?

This whole route would be free, but the price for you to pay is it might take a while, and having to do some extra file juggling over just a whole movie's srt route.

(Also, I like playing with SubtitleEdit and would offer to do some or a lot or all of the syncing for you, but it's a waste to do that without a final or near final .srt [or whatever format].)

If it turns out that idea is a thumbs-down for you, sorry, 'twas just a thought :)
Thanks given by:
(2024-07-20, 01:11 AM)WXM Wrote: Hi capablanca123

Talking just the English translation/subs... If you have time and patience you could offer links (on forums where you might get this kind of help) to only small chunks of movie (scenes?), ask people to translate "just this" (out of the kindness of their heart), do that over and over until the whole movie's number of scenes is done; I think someone taking time out to translate just one scene is likely to get you people coming through over and over. Far from ideal, but yeah, translating (or going through to fix a whacked AI translation) a whole movie can take a LOT of time, can easily put people off. But just requesting a scene here and there on different forums, maybe possibly bored students and such would throw just an hour into doing a scene 'cause "eh, easy, why not"...?

Of course there's a chance that different people's style of translation will vary (when you stitch them all together), but at least you have a chance of fixing varying English on your end in the end (assuming Eng is your native language), eh?

This whole route would be free, but the price for you to pay is it might take a while, and having to do some extra file juggling over just a whole movie's srt route.

(Also, I like playing with SubtitleEdit and would offer to do some or a lot or all of the syncing for you, but it's a waste to do that without a final or near final .srt [or whatever format].)

If it turns out that idea is a thumbs-down for you, sorry, 'twas just a thought Smile

Hi WXM,

That seems to me like a very good idea. Having the 90 minute runtime split across 2 or 3 minute chunks would give 45 or 30 counts chunks -- so if I find one person to translate a chunk each week would finish the project in ~7-10 months which would be cool.

For the stitched product at the end, I might just get one or two people to watch the entire movie with our subtitles and quality check if there is variance in style of translation.

Also, ideally I will aim to produce both English and French just for completeness sake and maybe someone out there would like to watch it with either.

Do you know what forums it would be appropriate for me ask and people would be more willing to help?

Overall, I really like this idea. I will start creating a plan of action this week. On the weekend split the movie into chunks and maybe produce a public Google Sheet for everyone to track progress and review work done
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] Real time subtitle editor Hitcher 7 663 2024-06-22, 05:32 PM
Last Post: BusterD
  [Idea] Theatrical Forced Subtitle Style Reconstruction bobbster574 1 514 2024-01-28, 11:13 PM
Last Post: stwd4nder2
  [Idea] Terminator 2: Judgment Day Italian Audio DVD 2000 Preservation Nicky90 2 1,242 2023-05-06, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Nicky90
  Proof of Life 2000 dvdmike 3 2,110 2022-06-15, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  Frank Herbert's Dune (2000) Doctor M 17 6,754 2021-09-26, 05:15 PM
Last Post: HippieDalek
  [Help] Mother's Boy DVD English Subtitle needed DeafYakuza 0 1,984 2019-04-19, 07:43 PM
Last Post: DeafYakuza
Question Black Bars Subtitle file for Transformers: The Last Knight in 4K bendermac 13 10,568 2018-11-11, 02:23 PM
Last Post: spoRv