Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
[Cancelled] Mad Max 2/Road Warrior Regrade (Warner 97 DVD and LD)
Tried the following, and result is not that bad - dunno if it could be considered the "perfect spot", but I prefer it over both DVD and LD as they are now...

Code:
x=dss2("RWDVD-LD.mkv").crop(0,140,0,-140)

x1=x.trim(0,12582)
x2=x.trim(12583,0)

overlay(x1,x2,opacity=0.6)

Jerry, IIRC one of your first "test" clip was way over 1GB, but I may be wrong... am I? Tongue
Thanks given by:
I'm going to try your overlay script right now spoRv. Smile

Film Addict    
Thanks given by:
Thanks spoRv, jerryshadoe and Doombot.

Concerning the magenta. I can tone it down but that was me trying to be slavishly close to the DVD which has it in the master. I always worry people will get upset if the colors don't match 100% to the source. That's always the battle between the source and what looks good. I always go for the source when I can. But in this case its nice to have the LD copy since I can see that at one point it was not there and I'm justified in toning it down. I'd also be inclined to remove it since it tends to make the blue skies go a little pink.

I also agree with both of you on the brightness. That should be an easy fix.

Concerning your 50%-50% code, spoRv. Doombot was nice enough to run it for me and I compared it to the DVD and LD regrade. The differences are subtle of course but it seems to mostly affect the brightness. Color-wise it really seems to change the blues mostly. Making them a little more bluer and brighter. The code does help since it gives me an idea what changes to make to the DVD regrade some 75% ,whereas the LD regrade only has the beginning and some of the end done.
Thanks given by:
I think you should also consider a regrade of the original MM film to go along with the MM2 version.
As you can tell from the comparison here, the Blu-ray looks NOTHING like the original film prints.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/128072

Same as MM2, the DVD looks like the film originaly did. I think there is an HDTV with the old DVD colors. Perhaps it could be used to match color the Blu-ray?
Thanks given by:
(2015-05-21, 05:20 PM)Stamper Wrote: I think you should also consider a regrade of the original MM film to go along with the MM2 version.
As you can tell from the comparison here, the Blu-ray looks NOTHING like the original film prints.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/128072
Same as MM2, the DVD looks like the film originaly did. I think there is an HDTV with the old DVD colors. Perhaps it could be used to match color the Blu-ray?
Wow that looks a lot like MM2 (Actually like the LD). Where did that come from Stamper? I know spoRv was looking into a regrade one of which was more orange.
Thanks given by:
The extract from a print come from the documentary "Not Quite Hollywood". The Original Warner DVD is not far away from this + I'm not saying the documentary is spots on, but it's 95% there whereas the Blu-ray is about 45% there (ie nowhere there), just not as bad as RW which is 25% there. The documentary uses a print. You can see in all the MM excerpts it's an original print because it has that print look, that is close to the german Assault on Precinct 13 Blu-ray. This is how the film was on original release and it looked perfect, not like video.

I have seen both films numerous times on the big screen from 35mm prints (not crap DCP from the Blu-ray masters) on original releases and re-releases. I know how both film generaly looks, and the Blu are just plain crap revisitation, NOTHING LIKE THE FILMS.
Thanks given by:
Just checked the old MGM DVD it's not the same copy as the MGM Blu-ray either!

It also spots a color scheme very close to the original film.

It also have the actual australian mono track, which has the original line at the end from Johnny the Boy that is missing from the MGM mono (which is a fold down from the 5?1 track. More info here:

https://youtu.be/w39zBJ2GoqQ

Plus there is a TV print from australia on the spleen, that also sports the same color scheme more or less ie actual color scheme.
Thanks given by:
Very interesting Stamper. It looks like Mad Max it pretty close to the mm2 DVD (actually close to the LD), mmbt and now fury road. It seems that all were meant to look similar and color timings have been lost over time.

That's the MGM special edition right? I wonder what the old US image dvd and LD look like:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6...dmaxmovies

I was always looking at thunderdome as a follow up. I wonder if mm might be one too (although if spoRv is working in it , I rather let me work on it)
Thanks given by:
PDB, feel free to work on MM - I quit, too much projects to follow... Wink
If you need the HDTV version, let me know!
Thanks given by:
The MGM is the two sided disc with the bonuses on side 2.

Your link is the first DVD from Image, I don't remember but I think it might only have the australian mono track.

It's similar to the Warner european Pal disc which also only have mono languages.

They both have a color scheme same as the LD (same master)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Cancelled] Evil Dead Regrade (Japanese Herald Laserdisc) PDB 97 77,407 2023-04-23, 10:49 PM
Last Post: dvdmike
  [Cancelled] Fight Club Open Matte (and OAR Old Master) PDB 82 44,637 2022-02-01, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Yondu
  [Canceled] The Abyss Open Matte and Regrade PDB 77 41,767 2021-07-02, 12:17 AM
Last Post: jouna
  [Canceled] Die Hard 2 35mm Regrade (The 35 Project) PDB 119 113,847 2021-01-26, 02:53 AM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Tremors Regrade (Project CRT #0 v1.0) PDB 50 20,104 2020-12-17, 10:14 PM
Last Post: BDgeek
  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Regrade FrankT 46 41,901 2020-06-25, 03:08 PM
Last Post: workprint-lover-and-wanter
  [Canceled] Terminator 2 Regrade (First Japanese Squeeze Laserdisc) PDB 15 12,119 2020-01-13, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Stamper
  [Canceled] Aliens TV Cut and Theatrical Regrade (Fox THX Laserdisc) PDB 245 243,678 2019-07-23, 07:09 PM
Last Post: PDB
  [Canceled] Star Trek 2 The Wrath Of Khan Regrade (Paramount Widescreen Laserdisc) PDB 30 22,897 2019-01-15, 08:52 AM
Last Post: CaveDoctor
  [Canceled] 2001 Regrade (Criterion Laserdisc) PDB 48 42,126 2018-10-30, 10:15 AM
Last Post: FrankT