Hello guest, if you like this forum, why don't you register? https://fanrestore.com/member.php?action=register (December 14, 2021) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Help] French localised titles list
I'm starting this thread since it could be good if all the info is gathered in one place.

I will list here as I come across them all french localised titles masters I find. This will grow as it goes. Feel free to contribute. Also feel free to start threads for italian, german etc. copies if you live there and have HDTV access.

The idea is, since the advent of DVD, all localised versions are disappearing from the surface of the earth, but some survive on HDTV or licensed DVDs/BDs. Some of them also included french inserts like Dirty Harry, which has the insert of the newspaper Scorpio reads on the roof shot in several languages with different versions, each in it's own language, of the newspaper mock-up. This revisionism must stop and history must be preserved so please indicate here any localised version you know about and I'll add them to the master list.

DVDs original versions:

- Con Air (branching) R1 early Disney DVD
- Enemy of the stare R1 early Disney DVD

HDTV real original versions:

- Die Hard 2 (1990) French HDTV airings saved by fellow forumer here.
- Mission Impossible (1996) French HDTV airings. Original titles, not redux. Looks like the color timing is the original with tons of blue. Worth saving?
- MI:2 (2000) French HDTV airings. Original titles, not redux, also includes all intertitles cards in french.
- True Lies (1994) French HDTV airings look like original titles, but there might be two different versions running around. This is the 2.35:1 version.

HDTV doctored versions / recreations to avoid
- Terminator 1984 French HDTV airings. Title card is remade in horrible arial like font, from the old DVD Pal master which had the text free insert. Useless.
- Back to the Future
- Spider-Man 2
- The Warriors French HDTV redux titles but theatrical cut!
Thanks given by: spoRv , Falcon
I have some of them. They are generally recreated unfortunately. Back to the Future and Spider-Man 2 are good examples.
Thanks given by:
Nice thread Stamper! Ok

I'm no expert about this, so I'm waiting for Evit to start a similar thread for Italian, and maybe MrBrown for German... who would take care of Spanish?
Thanks given by:
You have pics of what MI looks like compared to the DVDs/BDs?
Thanks given by:
I have BTTF 2 & 3 as well. I also have Ghostbusters but only the ending titles are translated for some reason. Ghostbusters is the real deal by the way.
Thanks given by:
Little titbit of info. In the early days of DVD, a lot of USA titles from the Disney movie studios (Touchstone, Hollywood pictures etc) use to incorporate French dubs on their DVD's. When selected, the film would branch into French titles and credits as well. I found this out on Con Air and Enemy of the State DVD's
Thanks given by: Stamper
Are Die Hard 2 and Mission impossible available? You know I'm fond of any foreign localized titles.
Speaking of French, I have an Italian VHS of Dawn of the Dead (1978) from French master (for some reason!), I swear one of these days I'll recreate it in HD like I did for Italian Escape from New York, it's already on my to-do list. And I don't even know one word of French but seems important to me to preserve foreign releases because those are part of cinema history too.

(2017-06-27, 01:15 AM)spoRv Wrote: I'm no expert about this, so I'm waiting for Evit to start a similar thread for Italian, and maybe MrBrown for German... who would take care of Spanish?

For the Italian titles released on Blu-Ray I'm already preparing a list, I'm not doing a DVD list though.
AKA thxita on OriginalTrilogy
I preserve movies as they first appeared in Italy.
Thanks given by:
Too bad, I am not watching TV... And I am not that searching for TV rips, to make such a list.
I only could provide Infos regarding DVDs/BDs/LDs I have in my collection...

Yeah, Evit, I noticed, that you are very dedicated regarding localized Movie credits... Big Grin
If I ever write my will and testament, I think the Highlander 2 Italian DVD will go into your hands... Big Grin
"Never cut a deal with a dragon..."
- Old Shadowrun wisdom
Thanks given by:
(2017-06-28, 11:28 AM)MrBrown Wrote: Yeah, Evit, I noticed, that you are very dedicated regarding localized Movie credits... Big Grin
If I ever write my will and testament, I think the Highlander 2 Italian DVD will go into your hands... Big Grin

I'll take it out of your coffin like in Young Frankenstein.
Thanks given by:
(2017-06-27, 01:15 AM)spoRv Wrote: I'm waiting for Evit to start a similar thread for Italian, and maybe MrBrown for German... who would take care of Spanish?

Should we make a dedicate thread for each country (France, Germany, Italy and a couple others) or is it best to turn this into a comprehensive European thread where we keep Stamper updated on our findings?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 13th Warrior French Blu Ray alleycat 17 3,293 2023-02-09, 11:26 AM
Last Post: X5gb
  The French Line (1954) Doctor M 1 848 2022-12-07, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Nick_M
  French UGC BD of Twelve Monkeys? SpaceBlackKnight 1 1,231 2022-04-14, 05:46 AM
Last Post: SpaceBlackKnight
  List of 35mm print reels for sale sebkarlbjork 0 1,722 2020-04-28, 08:12 PM
Last Post: sebkarlbjork
  [Help] List of HD releases with brand new text and credits Evit 11 10,941 2017-07-04, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Chewtobacca
  Italian-localised title list Evit 2 3,598 2017-06-28, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Evit
  [request] Escape from New York - French and German titles? Evit 18 15,208 2016-06-25, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Evit